Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick 4 and what? Pick 24 or a bunch of no names... is why everyone here is saying your only offering pick 4 alone!
We also dont realistically expect Hanley and Redden to be added to pick 4.

Pick 4 and one of Mayes/ Aish is fair, you get proven AA we get two young guys who could be hit or miss

Yep. Because there's a big difference between a mature magpie and a ... fledgling.

Again, the vast majority of Lions fans don't think pick 4 alone will get it done. I am not sure why this just gets repeated over and over.

To be fair, there isn't a single person on this website whose opinion has any relevance to the discussion between the two clubs. Any talk on Bigfooty about potential trade deals is really just a waste of time.

None of us really know whether Dean Warren's statement that they think pick four for Beams is fair is their actual stance or just low-balling and playing the trading game.

Okay, let's put this in perspective for a club that is only willing to offer pick 4 or more than likely pick 5 for Beams.

2012 - Copeland Trophy, All Australian and 8th in the Brownlow, averaged over 30 possessions.

2013 - season ruined by a quad injury, but still played 8 games averaging over 28 possessions.

2014 - probably top 2 in the Copeland, finished 9th in the Brownlow, averaged over 27 possessions.

Pick 4 a suitable and fair trade? You be the judge.

Largest off limits list for a very ordinary club you will ever see.

Annoying.
Yeah its been said before, but you have to take your hat off to the Lions. They've assembled the most elite 7 game-winning list in the history of the game

I think 4 + 24 + Crisp for Beams alone is fair personally and shouldn't be knocked back by Collingwood unless they're adamant on keeping Beams for another year.

4 + Player or 4 + 24 would be a good outcome for Brisbane, IMO.

That's all under the assumption that if Beams wants to still come next year, the Pies won't get anything close to that with the PSD threat and the cap space we have to put a price on his head.

It may seem fair, but if Hine & Rendell don't rate Crisp for instance then there is no chance of getting that deal done. They may rate him, I have no idea. But perhaps there is somebody else on the list that they have their eye on? Time will tell.

On another note I find it rather interesting that on one hand some Lions' supporters claim that it would affect the culture of the club to force a player from their "untouchable" list to relocate as part of the trade, but they're perfectly willing to do so for a player who isn't on that "untouchable" list regardless of whether they wish to move or not - seems to be rather hypocritical from where I'm standing.

Loved all your post and this in particular.

It's very hypocritical and disingenuous.

A tough four years and then you land Lebron and KLove. :p Possibly Hibbert aswell.

Try being a Sixers fan and watching your side lose Iguodala and Vucevic for Bynum. :(

Oooo.. Oh thats.. But things will come around once Philly decide to stop deliberately losing. Noel and Embiid make for an intimidating frontcourt. All in good time

What about this for a three way:

Sydney Lose Mitchell
Sydney Gain Pick 4

Brisbane Lose Pick 4 & Mayes
Brisbane Gain Beams & Pick 28

Collingwood Lose Beams & Pick 28
Collingwood Gain Mitchell & Mayes

I've ignored the so called Brisbane untouchables as I don't think that attitude will get a deal done. And listening to Swann I genuinely don't think it will go that way anyway. I've tried to be equatable to all parties sacrifice but also gain. Would love some honest feedback.
That would be good but if we got pick 4 for Mitchell and Reid I would consider it

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...impact-dayne-beams-trade-20140930-10o73r.html

Bit of a concession already from Greg Swann., Basically say if the pick is pushed back to 5, it won't be enough to get the Beams trade done.

There's a bit of journalistic license being used in that article.

All Swann stated was that it has a little effect on their ability to trade if 4 get's pushed back. Yet the way the article was worded (hamper was the word chosen by the journo) was an attempt to make it appear that Swann thinks 4 alone would get it done.

IMO, Swann is very justified in his quiet objection, but the note that they won't challenge the decision indicates they're resigned to the fact 4 or 5 alone won't cut the mustard. Which is something we can all agree on. It's the difference between what 4 + sweetener or 5 + sweetener is that Swann was going into bat for.

It might also provide an insight into our likelihood of trading that selection. St Kilda could have a hard on for McCartin and there's some chance he's there at 4 so there could be incentive to get 4 to them in order to help satisfy us.

To follow on from my previous post perhaps something like this works:

Brisbane:

In. Beams & 28
Out. 4 + Mayes

St Kilda:

In. 4
Out. Steven

Collingwood:

In. Steven & Mayes
Out. Beams & 28

No doubt there'd be pick exchanges on top of that, but St Kilda have stated that they want 3 top 20 picks so perhaps this is their way into it. If they aren't up for it perhaps Essendon's a goer if Carlisle is keen to get out.

With the list of untouchables at Brisbane as long as your arm Hine and co will need to get creative on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally don't see the deal getting done. Schwab said he thought pick 4 was fair and Hine has stated and the club put a statement out that pick 4 is not enough. I can't see Schwab offering much more and we would look like monkeys accepting pick 4 and a bottom end player for the Lions considering the club statement released today.
You haven't done much negotiating in your time have you?

Brisbane:

In. Beams & 28
Out. 4 + Mayes

St Kilda:

In. 4
Out. Steven

Collingwood:

In. Steven & Mayes
Out. Beams & 28

St Kilda have stated that they want 3 top 20 picks so perhaps this is their way into it. If they aren't up for it perhaps Essendon's a goer if Carlisle is keen to get out.

With the list of untouchables at Brisbane as long as your arm Hine will get creative on this one.

Stevens is St Kilda's Beams. He is the guy they will be wanting to build their midfield around.

So no different to us, why in the world would they trade him out for an unproven pick 5 draftee???

Geez some of the trades here are optimistic bordering on impossible.

Here's how trade week works:

Collingwood demand gun + pick 4
Brisbane demand only pick 4

Ends in something in between so yeah probably 4 + 2nd rounder + player like Lester/Crisp etc

Stevens is St Kilda's Beams. He is the guy they will be wanting to build their midfield around.

So no different to us, why in the world would they trade him out for an unproven pick 5 draftee???

A desire to get their teeth into the draft. His name has come up though I wouldn't just throw it out there if it hadn't.

They have also put together a seriously good midfield group in the U21 category so while it may not seem likely no one saw McEvoy on the market at this stage last year. With Pelican in charge I'm not discounting anyone from Seaford...

Collingwood:

In. Steven & Mayes
Out. Beams & 28

Not super keen on Steven tbh - he's distinctly average and not exactly an elite disposer of the ball by foot.

As for Steven being "St Kilda's Beams" - well if they want to build a distinctly average midfield around him then that's their prerogative (the 4 kids they've drafted over the past couple of seasons will likely overtake Steven perhaps as soon as by the end of 2015 for the record), but I don't rate him much at all and he especially doesn't fill any of our needs in the midfield (speed, height, good disposal by foot).

Last edited:
Not super keen on Steven tbh - he's distinctly average and not exactly an elite disposer of the ball by foot.

As for Steven being "St Kilda's Beams" - well if they want to build a distinctly average midfielders around him then that's their prerogative, but I don't rate him much at all and he especially doesn't fill any of our needs in the midfield (speed, height, good disposal by foot).
Hi kicking lets him down at times but I would imagine that's due to high contested possession rate continually under the pump.

As for distinctly average, I think that's along way from the truth when you look at the role he plays. Were you one of the many throwing around Priddis as distinctly average also circa Sep 2014?

Not super keen on Steven tbh - he's distinctly average and not exactly an elite disposer of the ball by foot...

I wouldn't say distinctly average he is a very good ball winner, IMO, which is something we desperately need having seen us generate just over 300 ppg in the second half of the season, but I do share your concerns re ball use though he's no worse by foot than Swan for mine.

I'm more trying to look at the type of player we can dislodge with 4/5 that is ready to go. Steven may or may not be it, but I'm just not seeing us going to the draft with it.

Who know's Sloane might be a goer if we can get Adelaide involved I just think it'll be a more fluid deal than Brisbane's first + sweetener...

So much love for Crisp who managed 6 games this year for a total of 18 in 3 years. It is almost like his career-best game was on TV against you guys ... oh wait ... it was. :rolleyes:
That was an example of a trade. Obviously I'd love some of the ridiculous offers in here to come true, but I know it will end up being a fringe player with some potential and Crisp is probably on that list.

[mod edit] I need to be more respectful on an opposition board :( [/mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is the colliewobbles are pushing very hard for one of those elite 7 , tells you a lot about the team we flogged at the MCG this year
Why do that. We have some half decent Brisbane posters coming on here making conversation and respecting club board rules and then we have the delusional posters like yourself that still fail to see their win loss record of 7 & 15 with the 3rd worst % of the year...only above Melbourne and Saints. Your year was significantly worst than your performance in 2013 yet you speak of finals football next year.

There's something not right about Queenslanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back