List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to see a lot of people getting on board with Lever. Really really like him. I'd be gutted if we kept our first pick and he was taken by one of the clubs before us. I'm telling you, I like him more than the "big four".

I agree. I can see us selecting Lever if he is available at 5/6.

I'm glad to see a lot of people getting on board with Lever. Really really like him. I'd be gutted if we kept our first pick and he was taken by one of the clubs before us. I'm telling you, I like him more than the "big four".
Even if McCartin or Wright are still available at our pick? Apart from the "good character", what else do you really like about him in terms of his game?

Even if McCartin or Wright are still available at our pick? Apart from the "good character", what else do you really like about him in terms of his game?
Based on his performances last year, he was a tall defender who played with a very high level of intensity and aggression. Absolutely throws himself into beating his opponents, takes a lot of intercept marks, has good skills and is just a real competitor. Despite his size, was also very good at ground level when necessary, and his coaches were even planning on playing him as a midfielder and forward this year if not for the injury. He's grown a bit since, so he's key position sized now, so he can fill those kpp holes we have. He's just about everything we'd want, even when ignoring the off-field character stuff. The only worry is the knee, and whether having done it once means he's more susceptible in the future.

I have more doubts about McCartin and Wright actually. Would be great to have them, but they're not on the level of the standout key forwards of previous years. McCartin has the aggression, but struggles a little with his kicking and is probably a bit undersized for a modern key position player. Not sure how much of an issue his health problems are though, so I won't count that against him. Wright is huge and is pretty athletic, but he just looks like he doesn't use his size or play with as much aggression, or impose himself as much as I'd like. He also has his own injury issues with his recurring back problems.

Note, I'm just pointing out the negatives of those two guys. Would be great to get either of them, but I think I like Lever a bit more at the moment.

Last edited:
Based on his performances last year, he was a tall defender who played with a very high level of intensity and aggression. Absolutely throws himself into beating his opponents, takes a lot of intercept marks, has good skills and is just a real competitor. Despite his size, was also very good at ground level when necessary, and his coaches were even planning on playing him as a midfielder and forward this year if not for the injury. He's grown a bit since, so he's key position sized now, so he can fill those kpp holes we have. He's just about everything we'd want, even when ignoring the off-field character stuff. The only worry is the knee, and whether having done it once means he's more susceptible in the future.
Now i'm really getting anxious over the Dees comp pick. If they dont get it we land one of Wright or Lever so its a win no matter who we take. If they do get it might have to settle for Durdin - not sure on how good he is.

I don't think it'll come to a McCartin/Wright & Lever decision. I like that fact that with Lever's reading of the play/contested work we will be building a backline such as that took us through 2007-2010 era. If he were to be depicted as a previous cog in our backline it'd be Lake. Jake's match fitness will be one immediate area that needs to be worked on if he gets to the club, so that'll take a while.

This time of the season in past years McCrae and Bontempelli hit it out of the park at the many interviews with the Bulldogs staff. The two kids that have impressed the List Managers/Coaches staff so far are Wright and Lever by a mile.

FYI: Jaksch turned up 35 minutes late to a meeting with us last month without explanation or any real apology. Pissed everyone right off from the start and it went down hill from there with attitude etc, so his name was withdrawn from our "wanted" list that day. Hence he has not been linked with the Bulldogs in any talk.

This time of the season in past years McCrae and Bontempelli hit it out of the park at the many interviews with the Bulldogs staff. The two kids that have impressed the List Managers/Coaches staff so far are Wright and Lever by a mile.

FYI: Jaksch turned up 35 minutes late to a meeting with us last month without explanation or any real apology. Pissed everyone right off from the start and it went down hill from there with attitude etc, so his name was withdrawn from our "wanted" list that day. Hence he has not been linked with the Bulldogs in any talk.
Would be absolutely stoked to land one of them. Please AFL dont give the Dees pick 3!!!!!

I'm more worried that Lever goes in the pick before us to Collingwood (assuming they get the pick for Beams). Would hurt to see him wearing their jumper. Imagine if we didn't select Bontempelli last year and he is now running around for the magpies. *Shudders*
If lever is off the board, that means at least one of Durdin or wright is available. It is what it is. We'll get a belter of a young talent at 5 or 6 and it's up to us to develop them better than the other clubs develop their kids. Simple as that

Have we spoken with McCartin?
Is he someone we aren't interested in or do we think he definitely won't be available?

I don't even see Brayshaw as a bad result. He's the Ollie Wines of this year. Will be a brilliant player.
He's fallen under the radar a bit given the talls available at the top end.

He'll be a gun. Melbourne would be mad to pass on him, particularly if they have 2 picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be absolutely stoked to land one of them. Please AFL dont give the Dees pick 3!!!!!

The "current" top 6 are all pretty desirable from what I've seen and heard: McCartin, Petracca, Brayshaw, Wright, Lever, Durdin.

At worst we'll have pick 6, so that in all likelihood means that Wright, Lever or Durdin falls to us. We may still even have all three to select from if there are bolters. Also, don't be surprised if we chose another 'Bontempelli' who is not on the radar yet. Draft night is almost two months away yet.

Have we spoken with McCartin?
Is he someone we aren't interested in or do we think he definitely won't be available?
We spoke with McCartin months ago, as far as I know.

All clubs do their due diligence in case he slides, a lot could happen between now and draft night.

Brayshaw is the only one i haven't warmed to, and that's purely as a selection for us, nothing to do with his talent. We need book ends moreso. I like Petracca as he could end up anywhere, but he's not coming to us.

Saints' Finnis has come out and repeated Swan's sentiments re Dees getting pick 3 for Frawley. If Dees dont get 3 for Frawley i have a feeling saints will trade pick 1 for pick 3 and whatever else. In that case i see the draft going:

1 - GWS - Petracca
2 - Dees - Brayshaw
3 - Saints - McCartin
4 - Pies - Wright/Lever/Ahern/Laverde/Durdin (I think Lever most likely unless there is a bolter. Dont see them taking Wright as they have Grundy, Cloke, White
5 - Dogs - Wright/Lever

How can we get both Wright and Lever, god id be rating our team higher than the expansion clubs if we pulled that off (ok maybe close).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back