List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He is quick 2.81s (Stephen Hill -0.02s) and agile 8.14s (Stephen Hill +0.37s) too.

His testing was off the charts, and I guess the game is no more foreign to him than it would have been to Moller. Also seems to have a good attitude in this interview. Are we allowed another Category B rookie, or just Hurley?

His testing was off the charts, and I guess the game is no more foreign to him than it would have been to Moller. Also seems to have a good attitude in this interview. Are we allowed another Category B rookie, or just Hurley?

We do have one spot left for Cat B rookies.

Marvin Baynham out of Georgia Southern FTW... "only" 198cm, but this:

Very impressive in basketball terms.

The difficulty is being able to use his reach when he's being wrestled at ground level, or having someone jump into him knee first at centre bounces. His lack of height will make it difficult to be effective as a tap ruckman as he'll keep being out reached (unless he has a ridiculous wing span for his height).

As a forward/ruck he could have some promise... as a first ruck, probably not as much.

Exactly. I feel fine with Clarke succeeding Sandi as #1 ruck, but we could easily end up going from most-stocked ruck list in the comp to looking very light-on after Sandi goes if we're not careful - if we delist Hannath and/or Moller (who I believe has to be upgraded or delisted next year) in the next year or two because we're convinced they won't make it, then in reality the options post-Sandi are currently Clarke, Clarke and Clarke.

What's wrong with Griffin?

Very impressive in basketball terms.

The difficulty is being able to use his reach when he's being wrestled at ground level, or having someone jump into him knee first at centre bounces. His lack of height will make it difficult to be effective as a tap ruckman as he'll keep being out reached (unless he has a ridiculous wing span for his height).

As a forward/ruck he could have some promise... as a first ruck, probably not as much.

Yep, no way he's ever going to be lead ruck at 198cm, but if the guy can even remotely kick a footy he's worth considering as a ruck/forward prospect. He reckons he wants to model himself on a combination of NicNat and Buddy - notwithstanding NicNat's flogginess, that's a pretty tantalising concept. Athletically he'll massacre anyone else at that size, and as a Category B, if he doesn't work (likely), he's cost us all of about $25k a year on the salary cap.

The big thing is that he seems eager to learn and is driven and confident enough in his own ability to think he can succeed. He probably won't, but he's definitely got the right attitude.

[edit: can't find his reach anywhere - GSU's basketball program is pretty poor]

What's wrong with Griffin?

At some point relatively soon we'll need to look at ruckmen, too. Nobody seems to be holding out tremendously high hopes for Hannath (UFO Tatsu excepted) or Moller, Griff is no spring chicken and Apeness is clearly not a natural ruckman.

Next season he'll be 29 (in January) with a recent ACL operation. By the time Sandi goes, he'll be either 30 or 31 (depending on whether this'll be Sandi's last season).

Griffin's only 199cm from memory? a loss of 5 or so cm for a ruckman doesn't mean too much, particularly if they have springs in their heals they're athletic beasts. Majak Daw's somewhere between 190-200 isn't he? As is Blicavs I think?

The game is definitely getting taller - Pav at 192cm would be considered way undersized for KPFs these days, not to mention Modra at 188cm and Carey being considered a big unit at 192cm/sub-100kg as you go back. But there's aways exceptions... [edit: yeah, Daw is 195cm - similar thing to Baynham, undersized for the role and underexposed to the game, but a (different kind of) athletic freak that you take the punt on]

Griff is 201cm. So Baynam is an inch or so shorter than him in a growing game, but he has a pogo-esque vertical leap...

Last edited:
I just looked at Hugh Goddard's highlights and I thought he looked better than some of the write-ups I have read about him. If we draft him with our first pick I wont be disappointed at all.

I just looked at Hugh Goddard's highlights and I thought he looked better than some of the write-ups I have read about him. If we draft him with our first pick I wont be disappointed at all.

He looks really raw to me. There's something there, including a nice bit of athleticism that could see him as an MJ replacement in time, but a very long way to go... I'd take Durdin over him every time. I'd rate Keitel close to his level too, who might still be around come our 2nd rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game is definitely getting taller - Pav at 192cm would be considered way undersized for KPFs these days, not to mention Modra at 188cm and Carey being considered a big unit at 192cm/sub-100kg as you go back. But there's aways exceptions... [edit: yeah, Daw is 195cm - similar thing to Baynham, undersized for the role and underexposed to the game, but a (different kind of) athletic freak that you take the punt on]

Griff is 201cm. So Baynam is an inch or so shorter than him in a growing game, but he has a pogo-esque vertical leap...
Aaahh righto cheers, I must've been thinking of Kepler.

Yep, no way he's ever going to be lead ruck at 198cm, but if the guy can even remotely kick a footy he's worth considering as a ruck/forward prospect. He reckons he wants to model himself on a combination of NicNat and Buddy - notwithstanding NicNat's flogginess, that's a pretty tantalising concept. Athletically he'll massacre anyone else at that size, and as a Category B, if he doesn't work (likely), he's cost us all of about $25k a year on the salary cap.

The big thing is that he seems eager to learn and is driven and confident enough in his own ability to think he can succeed. He probably won't, but he's definitely got the right attitude.

Fair enough. Can take a while to get the knowledge into project players... especially if they're to be spending a decent chunk of time up forward. Even running around in the ruck, there's a heap to learn on running patterns etc. outside the contest, to be able to contribute with uncontested possessions (NicNat's issue). So it's good to see he's 22. Building his tank and knowledge (especially!) will be the longest parts of the build.

A few years on the rookie list and he might have developed enough of a tank, put on the right amount of weight and have sufficient know-how to be useful, and still have a decent number of years left on the clock.

As for NicNat... he seems like a genuinely nice bloke. It's the Weags and their fawning WA media following that are responsible for all the floggishness.

I don't actually see this guy realistically getting picked up, let alone leading a ruck division. However, Shane Mumford says hi.

I don't actually see this guy realistically getting picked up, let alone leading a ruck division. However, Shane Mumford says hi.

Won't stop me plugging him into AFL Live on the Playstation with maxed out agility, jumping and speed ratings and racking up match stats of 34 touches, 87 hitouts and 11 goals! The joys of the off-season...

[edit: and then get Clem Smith to beat up Mummy. Alas, melee is an action sorely missing from that game]

Won't stop me plugging him into AFL Live on the Playstation with maxed out agility, jumping and speed ratings and racking up match stats of 34 touches, 87 hitouts and 11 goals! The joys of the off-season...

[edit: and then get Clem Smith to beat up Mummy. Alas, melee is an action sorely missing from that game]
Mine doesn't work like that :(
I made a player called Brad Hill, max speed, max acceleration and max agility as well as max kicking but he didn't burn anyone off when he ran. :(

Mine doesn't work like that :(
I made a player called Brad Hill, max speed, max acceleration and max agility as well as max kicking but he didn't burn anyone off when he ran. :(

I like the part where Sandi is pretty much the fastest player in the game... lol

I like the part where Sandi is pretty much the fastest player in the game... lol
It's so bad haha

Anthony regularly kicks 5 goals when I play, I have a policy of kicking it long and tackling like a mad witch. Barlow gets more tackles than possessions.

Based on that I think we should draft anyone who can mark for full forward.

It's so bad haha

Anthony regularly kicks 5 goals when I play, I have a policy of kicking it long and tackling like a mad witch. Barlow gets more tackles than possessions.

Yep, that's pretty much the most effective method. Some of the positions and ratings for our boys are hilarious... I really should get that recent update/patch and see if brings any improvement.

[edit: Am playing NBA 2K15 at the moment and the difference in quality between the two games is night and day... and I don't even like basketball! I wish they'd get that AFL Manager game up and going - looks rad]

It's so bad haha

Sandilands ..... kicks it through. Another goal for ..... Sandilands.

Griffin's only 199cm from memory? a loss of 5 or so cm for a ruckman doesn't mean too much, particularly if they have springs in their heals they're athletic beasts. Majak Daw's somewhere between 190-200 isn't he? As is Blicavs I think?
I saw Maj Daw about a month ago at a music festival, we weren't sure whether it was him because he was nowhere near as massive as you'd expect – my mate's about 195 and Majak would've been two centimetres taller at the most. Saying that, he is a shockin footballer so that puts no credence in the 'ten centimetres doesn't matter' basket. However, Daw being useless does support the 'don't convert basketballers.' It's dumb. No soccer clubs are trying to get WAFL-players as goal keepers, why are we still persisting with the barely successful athletes2footballers move?

Last edited:
I saw Maj Daw about a month ago at a music festival, we weren't sure whether it was him because he was nowhere near as massive as you'd expect – my mate's about 195 and Majak would've been two centimetres taller at the most. Saying that, he is a shockin footballer so that puts no credence in the 'ten centimetres doesn't matter' basket. However, Daw being useless does support the 'don't convert basketballers.' It's dumb. No soccer clubs are trying to get WAFL-players as goal keepers, why are we still persisting with the barely successful athletes2footballers move?

Because one day, one of these blokes is going to pick up the game like a pig in sh*t and somehow possess the kind of footy instinct that can never be taught, and that combined with off-the-charts athletic ability is going to make a freak of a footballer.

If you pick basketballers as Category B rookies with no impact to your normal list management structure and negligible impact ($25k-ish) to the salary cap, I'm not sure I see the downside... apart from the 98% likelihood of them not working out, which is 2% better than never trying at all, in any event.

[edit: And while we're at it, I guess we'd better delist Subes, Zarke, Hilly, MDB, Clancee, Sonny and PearceD, as well as ending any discussion about Mitch Robinson. As ex-basketballers, surely none of them are much chop...]

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back