List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
After watching Apeness, Alex Pearce and Taberner running about on the weekend and liking their games (and Tanner Smith in the wings) I started thinking about the draft and wondering what we may be thinking about with our first couple of picks and with trades/free agency.

I feel we're a bit exposed for pace at the back and a smallish/mid size, quick defender may not go astray.
Like a Jarman Impey or Nick Smith
Another ball winning, inside midfielder although if Sylvia and Morabito continue on their upward path this may be less pressing.

If Josh can get his stuff together we're ok on the outside.

One more CHF/FF type? A utility? Or do we take the runner with the best skills?

This draft is full of KPP's, so I think their is a good chance one will slip to pick 18 or 20 or what ever pick we have. I think Chris has 12 out of the first 18 picks as KPP's.

With Sylvia, Morabito, Sheridan, Crozier, C Pearce all fighting for a spot and with Walters and de Boer to come back from injury I think it is fair to say he are stocked with mid's\flankers.

I agree we need a quick back pocket, but I wonder if Duffy could be converted to play this role as I think he will struggle to push into our side in the forward line. If not I would be happy to draft one with our 2nd\3rd round pick.

I would love for Hugh Goddard to slip to our first pick, as he could is a very mobile tall and could be a marking target with out costing us any forward pressure.

I think given how late in the first round our pick will be we should just take best available at whatever position excluding ruck.

I think given how late in the first round our pick will be we should just take best available at whatever position excluding ruck.
I think our recruiting team have shown over the last 4 or so drafts that they will go best available more often than not. In saying that we do seem to have quite a few talls developing at the moment. I think if we could get another tall that is capable of playing either end and adds a bit of flexibility to our team that would be handy. Someone like a Kietel or a Goddard if they slip seem to be a couple that could be a chance. If there are no KPP that we rate at our pick it means that some smaller types have slid through. If this does occur maybe Clem Smith could slip to us who would be that Smaller quick dashing defender that we have been talking about.

Having a read through the Phantom Drafts Petracca it think it is, seems like a very interesting prospect but seem to be putting the performances on the board now and is probably moving up the order a bit more. From the bios he is a tough and solid third tall forward that has started to move in to the midfield and seems to have blossomed in the role.

Other players that interest me would be Corey Ellis, Connor Blakely, Lachlan Weller, Jarrod Pickett and Liam Duggan. I strongly recommend having a look at both Chris 25 and Knightmares phantom drafts. They both give really good bios and general info on all the up and coming players and are both more than happy to ask any questions.

After watching Apeness, Alex Pearce and Taberner running about on the weekend and liking their games (and Tanner Smith in the wings) I started thinking about the draft and wondering what we may be thinking about with our first couple of picks and with trades/free agency.

I feel we're a bit exposed for pace at the back and a smallish/mid size, quick defender may not go astray.
Like a Jarman Impey or Nick Smith
Another ball winning, inside midfielder although if Sylvia and Morabito continue on their upward path this may be less pressing.

If Josh can get his stuff together we're ok on the outside.

One more CHF/FF type? A utility? Or do we take the runner with the best skills?

I wonder how Crozier would go off of a HBF? Quick, reasonably good disposal. Doesn't seem to be able to kick goals at AFL level (although that's not quite fair given his low number of games). I think switching between wing and HB might suit him, and us if we wanted to add some pace to that area of the ground.

I'd think again, we'll probably only delist/trade/retire 3 guys. I think we need to draft a good quality tall, but at pick 18 or so the good one's would probably be gone. Might be worth trading our first pick for someone like a Jacksh or another surplus tall over a GWS rather than taking what's left after clubs like the Bulldogs, Brissy, Radelaide etc... rape all the quality talls earlier in the round.

Best available first pick.

Needs pick 2 and three.

If we took a mid first up, I'd probably like to go for an insider type. We have quite a few good outsiders on our list and we probably could do to add another quality ball winner.

I think our recruiting team have shown over the last 4 or so drafts that they will go best available more often than not. In saying that we do seem to have quite a few talls developing at the moment. I think if we could get another tall that is capable of playing either end and adds a bit of flexibility to our team that would be handy. Someone like a Kietel or a Goddard if they slip seem to be a couple that could be a chance. If there are no KPP that we rate at our pick it means that some smaller types have slid through. If this does occur maybe Clem Smith could slip to us who would be that Smaller quick dashing defender that we have been talking about.

Having a read through the Phantom Drafts Petracca it think it is, seems like a very interesting prospect but seem to be putting the performances on the board now and is probably moving up the order a bit more. From the bios he is a tough and solid third tall forward that has started to move in to the midfield and seems to have blossomed in the role.

Other players that interest me would be Corey Ellis, Connor Blakely, Lachlan Weller, Jarrod Pickett and Liam Duggan. I strongly recommend having a look at both Chris 25 and Knightmares phantom drafts. They both give really good bios and general info on all the up and coming players and are both more than happy to ask any questions.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we picked this kid up. Quick, x factor, good skills. Only seen him play twice, but was impressed both times. Good call.

Given the talls we picked up last year, there doesn't appear to be an glaring area of need any more. We have the luxury of going best available with every pick. If that means we get another good tall, or a gun mid who slips because everyone goes bananas on KPPs, great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lach you read my mind, was just about to start this exact thread.

For my mind I find it pretty hard to critique our recruiting team (not getting sucked into the whole Pitt / Darling / first round failure thing sorry - apart from the fact these thoughts have been done to death on this board, I think our drafting wins more than make up for our failures in this regard).

Myself I think we need to draft for class and versatility (and speed) first, role players second. Kpps are always valuable and if we jag some gems I'm not gonna complain as we're close to losing at least three of the best kpps going sometime soon... but given our promising young tall stocks (apeness tabs and Pearce) I'm willing to make flexibility a priority and speed a close second. The game plan going forward is going to require flexibility and all-round performers in every position who can open up or close down those giant MCG spaces in our zones on demand.

The only two must haves for me so far are Jarrod Pickett (drool) and Clem smith (quality). Any other suggestions are welcome, but for my money we need a little more closing pace sprinkled in amongst the tall timber and deep tanks. Hawthorne spread and work triangle passes like a soccer team to make us run and tire us out, while Port use foot speed and fitness to close down passing lanes and run out the game. Quicker players in every line would help us combat these two bogey teams without having to reinvent the Fremantle squeeze to compensate.

Last edited:
Lach you read my mind, was just about to start this exact thread.

For my mind I find it pretty hard to critique our recruiting team (not getting sucked into the whole Pitt / Darling / first round failure thing sorry - apart from the fact these thoughts have been done to death on this board, I think our drafting wins more than make up for our failures in this regard).

Myself I think we need to draft for class and versatility (and speed) first, role players second. Kpps are always valuable and if we jag some gems I'm not gonna complain as we're close to losing at least three of the best kpps going sometime soon... but given our promising young tall stocks (apeness tabs and Pearce) I'm willing to make flexibility a priority and speed a priority. The game plan going forward is going to require flexibility and all-round performers in every position.

The only two must haves for me so far are Jarrod Pickett (drool) and Clem smith (quality). Any other suggestions are welcome, but for my money we need a little more closing pace sprinkled in amongst the tall timber and deep tanks.

Couldn't agree more. I was (still am I suppose, at times) pretty disappointed about not taking Darling. And I still daydream from time to time about having Dangerfield in the team (palmer drafted several spots ahead). But the recruiters aren't soothsayers. No club gets 100% of it's calls right. We've been one of the better clubs in recent times. It's also hard to be disappointed about your recruiting decisions when you've played off in a GF and are a real chance to get back this year.

Seen a lot of Clem Smith in the early rounds of the Wafl very silky and clean with the ball has been away with the u/18 in recent weeks will go early in the draft 1st rounder imo, would love to get him at Freo.

Have to sort of Double Like Gekkos post. We play rebound footy and nothing helps that more than some genuine pace with skill. This is why we got Hill, Danyle Pearce and Josh Simpson into the club. If there is a player available with genuine line breaking speed together with skill and a general all round inside/outside game then that is what I would look for. Pickett would be a dream, Clem Smith sounds reasonable but haven't seen him. I have seen enough of our developing talls to think we have some future there. Simpson being borderline now leaves us short in that area.

Fair number of clubs looking for talls, could be a year someone like Pickett slides? Need to start a rumour about a girl he has knocked up or touched up on a school camp maybe.

Now everyone every DH Victorian commentator has finally noticed the height of our midfielders they seem to have all decided that mids need to be over 190 cm tall.

I say we encourage this thought and let them bypass some quality talent at the circa 180cm mark so we can swoop in late and grab them.

Have to sort of Double Like Gekkos post. We play rebound footy and nothing helps that more than some genuine pace with skill. This is why we got Hill, Danyle Pearce and Josh Simpson into the club. If there is a player available with genuine line breaking speed together with skill and a general all round inside/outside game then that is what I would look for. Pickett would be a dream, Clem Smith sounds reasonable but haven't seen him. I have seen enough of our developing talls to think we have some future there. Simpson being borderline now leaves us short in that area.

Fair number of clubs looking for talls, could be a year someone like Pickett slides? Need to start a rumour about a girl he has knocked up or touched up on a school camp maybe.
Just get him to be seen out with Dayle Garlett at three in the morning. A few happy snaps never go astray. Just don't forget to photo shop a ciggy into his hand, and post it on social media. After that we'd almost be assured to get him with our last pick in the rookie draft. #happy days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back