List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see us delisting Duffy, Bradley and Simpson and then redrafting both of Bradley and Simpson, possibly on to our rookie list. That way we have Kep still at the club playing down at Peel mentoring our group of young talls coming through and also still on our list ready to upgrade in case of injuries. At the moment I don't think that Simpson really deserves to be on the main list of an AFL team and for this reason I don't think there is any risk in delisting him and placing him on our rookie list as I don't think any other team will touch him for obvious reasons. Some people take longer to mature so hopefully that is the case with Simpson, if it doesn't work out then we release him the following year from the rookie list.

Yeah, I don't think that giving Simpson a massive kick in the guts is the way to go right now.

I would be keen to see a trade which upgrades a pick. Something like our first pick + Hannath for pick 10. Or perhaps our 2nd round + Hannath for pick 20-25? What chance that could happen?

Hannath is going to struggle for games with us, but has already shown he can be handy at AFL level. I am not especially targeting Hannath, but see him as a player in an area we currently have depth, and who may have currency. Some sides badly need a ruckman. As well as our genuine rucks in Sandilands, Clarke and Griffin, we also have Apeness coming through.

Regarding our potential list clearing, the biggest question marks imo are going to be about the following players;
- Duffy; has struggled with injury, and apart from that seems to lack consistency.
- Gumbleton; same as above + ASADA looms.
- Keplar; so versatile, so fragile. Maybe 1 more year if he continues to do ok in defense for Peel.
- Simpson; don't want to include him in this list but the reality is he may not get a second contract. If he could be moved to the rookie list that would be ideal. Perfect would be clear signs that he has made some steps in terms of what the club requires from him, and he gets a new 1 year deal.

With so many talls in the draft, and quite a few clubs looking for them, we should either trade up to have a crack at the cream in the draft, or if that is not possible, just sit back and keep an eye on the sliders, picking up best available.

I don't think we can decide which type of player to draft until we prune our list.
Hypothetically, if Sandilands changed his mind & retired, & Griffin and Clarke were traded, we would certainly be looking at a ruck.
Of course that scenario has almost zero chance of happening, but I wanted to make a point.
I believe that the first pick should be best player available, and then draft for needs.
With our draft position being less than ideal, we will need to trade reasonable players to improve draft position, but we won't get far if we only try to trade lesser players.
Hard decisions need to be made and some fan favourites could well be offloaded.

I also don't think putting a 19 year old who hasn't proven anything before a football club is the right way to go.

I think that he has proven quite a lot if you consider his circumstances.

My point however, and I posted it earlier today as this discussion is currently running in 2 threads, is that if the current strategy of the club fails, he won't be on the list at all.

He is hardly going to gain the necessary drive and committment on a rookie list, when the rigours of his personal life seem almost insurmountable on the main list.

I think that he has proven quite a lot if you consider his circumstances.

My point however, and I posted it earlier today as this discussion is currently running in 2 threads, is that if the current strategy of the club fails, he won't be on the list at all.

He is hardly going to gain the necessary drive and committment on a rookie list, when the rigours of his personal life seem almost insurmountable on the main list.
I don't see what the big difference between him being on the main list and him being on the rookie list is. sure his pay will drop a bit but lets face it he is still on his initial contract after being drafted which would not have been a big money contract by any means. adding to this if you put in to account that the majority of players get cars and phones through sponsors etc it shouldn't make a massive difference. If its the motivation of playing I don't think him being on the rookie list is much of an issue. If anything I think it will help him mature and realise that if he wants something he has to work hard for it and if he wants to be able to support his young family then playing AFL is a great way to do it.
Playing in the AFL is and should be a privilege and it is not for everyone I understand that but at the same time the club has to make sure that they are not being taken for a ride. The AFL is a business now and just like in any other job if you are not performing or doing your job then you suffer the consequences.

I've been thinking about this a bit myself recently. I don't see a future for Kepler outside of a obligatory farewell game at some point this year. Duffy seems to be the most vulnerable of our younger players. Gumby has real question marks over him.

I don't think moving Josh to the rookie list needs to be considered 'a kick in the guts' its fairly common in modern football list management. Heath Scotland and Michael Osborne are two senior players who have been moved onto the rookie list for list reasons. If anything I think it takes the pressure off, keeps Josh in the system and provides him with a couple of years to address his issues.

I would think Moller is our only safe Rookie. The others I would be open to delisting (not too say I'm advocating for their delisting)

In terms of the Draft I would like to take a nice mix this year. One Tall, One Mid and one mid-small defender. I would hope some of our talls will start to get a regular game in the seniors freeing up some space at Peel. You also have opportunities arise through Injury and potential resting of Sandi and Pav.

All in all signs of a strong list which makes decisions hard. I have faith in our recruiting team (although I know some don't) to get 80% of the calls right.

Last edited:
I don't see what the big difference between him being on the main list and him being on the rookie list is. sure his pay will drop a bit but lets face it he is still on his initial contract after being drafted which would not have been a big money contract by any means. adding to this if you put in to account that the majority of players get cars and phones through sponsors etc it shouldn't make a massive difference. If its the motivation of playing I don't think him being on the rookie list is much of an issue. If anything I think it will help him mature and realise that if he wants something he has to work hard for it and if he wants to be able to support his young family then playing AFL is a great way to do it.
Playing in the AFL is and should be a privilege and it is not for everyone I understand that but at the same time the club has to make sure that they are not being taken for a ride. The AFL is a business now and just like in any other job if you are not performing or doing your job then you suffer the consequences.

There is a 1,000+ post thread on this issue on this board already, so I'm not going to go into much detail.

However, this isn't about money, and the need to support ones family at all.

I'm very sure that if the club felt that they were being taken for a ride, they wouldn't be throwing the kitchen sink at keeping him on the list.

This is Josh's last chance and I doubt, no, I am certain, that if this latest effort fails, Josh will part company from AFL footy permanently.

All depends on Mundy, Fyfe, get them to sign, then wait on Elvis to decide his future. I think Duffy, Kepler, Hannath, on the main list would be looked at
first. Kepler may be rookied which would be a wise move. Simpson is required, it is up to him to show something.
Crozier, Shero, been Victorian could also be part of a deal. Menegola, Wood, Duffy, can their bodies handle AFL or do they have enough talent?

I've been thinking about this a bit myself recently. I don't see a future for Kepler outside of a obligatory farewell game at some point this year. Duffy seems to be the most vulnerable of our younger players. Gumby has real question marks over him.

I don't think moving Josh to the rookie list needs to be considered 'a kick in the guts' its fairly common in modern football list management. Heath Scotland and Michael Osborne are two senior players who have been moved onto the rookie list for list reasons. If anything I think it takes the pressure off, keeps Josh in the system and provides him with a couple of years to address his issues.

I would think Moller is our only safe Rookie. The others I would be open to delisting (not too say I'm advocating for their delisting)

In terms of the Draft I would like to take a nice mix this year. One Tall, One Mid and one mid-small defender. I would hope some of our talls will start to get a regular game in the seniors freeing up some space at Peel. You also have opportunities arise through Injury and potential resting of Sandi and Pav.

All in all signs of a strong list which makes decisions hard. I have faith in our recruiting team (although I know some don't) to get 80% of the calls right.

I agree that Keplar is a logical out especially as he was under the impression he was gorn last year. But I don't see RTB giving him a farewell game at all unless injury or form demands it. RTB just isn't that sort of guy!

All depends on Mundy, Fyfe, get them to sign, then wait on Elvis to decide his future. I think Duffy, Kepler, Hannath, on the main list would be looked at
first. Kepler may be rookied which would be a wise move. Simpson is required, it is up to him to show something.
Crozier, Shero, been Victorian could also be part of a deal. Menegola, Wood, Duffy, can their bodies handle AFL or do they have enough talent?

Don't know about Wood since he's only young, but Duffy and Menegola must be in the firing line. Sad for Duffy but he is taking up a valuable main list spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't agree more. He essentially comes from another world. If he doesn't fit this one, or doesn't' want to that's ok. But, you can't hold a spot there just because he's from a remote aboriginal community. It's not discrimination to say it's not working out. It's discrimination to keep him because of his background, not his performance around the club and on the field. Yes, we need to be understanding, and I think we are. The FFC has been amazing. At the end of the day he needs to make a choice. Being able to be on the rookie list while he considers his options is a win-win, as far as I'm concerned. It gives him time to make that choice. It gives him time to weigh up what he wants for himself, his family and how his choice will affect his community. If he came from Africa or a pacific Island this would be a non issue. We're all walking around on eggshells in case the 'R' word rears it's ugly head, which is totally ridiculous. It's totally plausible he may be a club champ one day, just ask Ryan Crowley.

Last edited:
I agree, don't think it will be a kick in the guts. Simpson has brought it upon himself at the end of the day. The club is doing their best to get him back on track and if that means placing him on the rookie list for the time being while he sorts through that than so be it. We can't be placing him on a pedestal and bowing in front of him to his every need and want. Regardless of his back ground etc he has had numerous opportunities and really needs to show some maturity and motivation moving forward.

I agree, don't think it will be a kick in the guts. Simpson has brought it upon himself at the end of the day. The club is doing their best to get him back on track and if that means placing him on the rookie list for the time being while he sorts through that than so be it. We can't be placing him on a pedestal and bowing in front of him to his every need and want. Regardless of his back ground etc he has had numerous opportunities and really needs to show some maturity and motivation moving forward.

I think you mis understood the point I was trying to make.

Completely agree. There is no reason why he deserves it more than someone else that could be on our main list at the moment. We have to remember that we have invested a lot in him, we used our first pick in the draft on him knowing that he already had a few personal things going on in his life and have gone out of our way to help him out. He obviously has the talent to become an AFL player but does he have the determination and attitude? well I guess we will find out one way or another

Fate is not without a sense of irony.

Maybe Port will thwart us and pick him up.
Post was meant to be a joke anyway. No idea how good the kid actually is. I've been looking through the state U18s results and haven't seen his name mentioned once (was not looking for his name exactly so could have missed it). Time will tell whether he actually gets drafted and I'm no draft expect on here so he could be a late pick/rookie but I haven't seen him mentioned as a draft prospect anywhere tbh.

Post was meant to be a joke anyway. No idea how good the kid actually is. I've been looking through the state U18s results and haven't seen his name mentioned once (was not looking for his name exactly so could have missed it). Time will tell whether he actually gets drafted and I'm no draft expect on here so he could be a late pick/rookie but I haven't seen him mentioned as a draft prospect anywhere tbh.
I should've also included a sarcasm smiley, apparently. :)

Putting Simpson on the RL may be seen as a failure by his community and see him receive tribal punishment that will abruptly end his footy career. Working through serious personal issues, if he can't work them out he'll be delisted and not considered for the RL.

Let's see how the club manage this first before nailing the coffin shut.

Putting Simpson on the RL may be seen as a failure by his community and see him receive tribal punishment that will abruptly end his footy career. Working through serious personal issues, if he can't work them out he'll be delisted and not considered for the RL.

Let's see how the club manage this first before nailing the coffin shut.

In round figures how many indigenous players have received tribal punishments, like spearing, in the history of the AFL for failing to meet 'community expecations'? FMD.

This is a totally different situation when you include tribal punishment to the equation.

He wants to play footy. Things happening are not of his choice, totally out of his hands now.

The community elders need to reach an agreement in the tug of war over his playing future. Then Freo will decide on his future.

I just hope he's training bloody hard to keep things favourable.

In round figures how many indigenous players have received tribal punishments, like spearing, in the history of the AFL for failing to meet 'community expecations'? FMD.
Data isn't held on spearings. For some reason they don't keep meticulous records. We only remember the success stories, don't follow the failures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back