I know it's evil, but...

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminds me of one of my many many favourite parts of the '08 GF. Of the telecast anyway. After an undersized 3rd string forward and a fat retiree beat the cream of the illustrious Cat backline to goal, the camera pans from the Hawk fans going out of their minds, across to the utterly disbelieving, disconsolate Cat section, absolute GOLD! Cracks me up every single time I see it (probably well into the hundreds now).

Usually I'm not one who takes pleasure in the misfortunes of others, but I did on that occasion. I'd spent all week hearing from Cats fans how they were going to win 5 flags in a row, and that boof head Cats fan who already had the 2008 premiership tattooed on his arm, etc, it just drove me nuts how arrogant they'd become, so it was nice to see them get a serve of humble pie.

Not sure about that. It's easy to say he shat himself, and for humour sake I've said it myself, but I honestly think he looked downfield went to kick and decided it wasn't a good option so he pulled his kick. Unfortunately for him, he dropped the ball in the act of kicking and it bounced away from him. Certainly he was in two minds, and we capitalized on the error.

Too kind AH - 2 highlighted bits says it all

Too kind AH - 2 highlighted bits says it all

Yeah, this came around the time we've taken the Cats by the throat and they were beginning to second guess each other, and I thought Taylor's fumble was a classic example of someone who, for a split second, really didn't know what to do. I can't speak for you, but I know I've done it :)

Not sure about that. It's easy to say he shat himself, and for humour sake I've said it myself, but I honestly think he looked downfield went to kick and decided it wasn't a good option so he pulled his kick. Unfortunately for him, he dropped the ball in the act of kicking and it bounced away from him. Certainly he was in two minds, and we capitalized on the error.
"Melted in the moment", as Anthony Hudson described it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not evil because I daresay a fair few people wearing Sydney gear on the day would have been "supporters" of the other 16 clubs. As was the case with Freo last year.

I couldn't imagine wearing Swans gear at, say, a Sydney-Geelong GF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually I'm not one who takes pleasure in the misfortunes of others, but I did on that occasion. I'd spent all week hearing from Cats fans how they were going to win 5 flags in a row, and that boof head Cats fan who already had the 2008 premiership tattooed on his arm, etc, it just drove me nuts how arrogant they'd become, so it was nice to see them get a serve of humble pie.

Not only the tatts, I saw a stretch Falcon Limo with 07/08 Back to Back blah blah blah painted on the sides in the MCG car park before the game, let the bloke know before the game he was jumping the gun, he was dismissive, after the game I asked him "caringly" as I wandered past if he knew a good spray painter . He was completely dumbfounded by what had happened, it wasn't possible, we're the Greatest Team of all, how could they lose, wtf happened, they stole our cup.
Tossers!

Not only the tatts, I saw a stretch Falcon Limo with 07/08 Back to Back blah blah blah painted on the sides in the MCG car park before the game, let the bloke know before the game he was jumping the gun, he was dismissive, after the game I asked him "caringly" as I wandered past if he knew a good spray painter . He was completely dumbfounded by what had happened, it wasn't possible, we're the Greatest Team of all, how could they lose, wtf happened, they stole our cup.
Tossers!

There are certain mindsets I would like the average football supporter to understand, but I can't really blame them considering the infantile way the media carries on.

One is because a team kicked shockingly for goal, they should have won. No, people, bad kicking is the reason they lost, not a reason they should have won. "We turned the ball over more, we kicked a lot more behinds, we made more mistakes ... therefore we should've won!!!". I've found this attitude has crept in since we began paying more attention to stats sheets rather than taking notice of what is actually happening on the field.

The other is this notion that a team can "steal" a premiership. All teams begin the season with an aim to winning enough games to qualify for finals. Once they do this, they then play off to see who can win a place in the Grand Final. Once you reach a Grand Final, you play off for the premiership. To imply that you have stolen something means you have taken something that belonged to some else without their permission.

Sorry folks, but at no stage during the season does any team own the premiership. It is won on the day, and the sooner footy morons get their heads around this, the better we will be. It matters not what has happened during the season, all that matters is which team is better on Grand Final Day. However, this point seems to be lost on our media who just like to think the team they prefer to win is red hot favourite.

2008 - Geelong dominated the minor round with 21 wins from 22. One of these were against Hawthorn who also had a very good year winning 17 from 22. On that occasion, Geelong managed to scrape home by 11 points in a match that was anyone's until the dying seconds of the game. This point was lost on the media who continued to carry on about Geelong being certainties for the flag.

For the rest of the minor round, the Cats chalked up some big wins, but so also did Hawthorn. Come finals, the Hawks were in every bit as good a form as the Cats, but the media couldn't get their heads past the 21 wins from Geelong.

Come the first week of the finals: Geelong beats St.Kilda by 58 points, the Hawks over the Bulldogs by 51.
Preliminary Final week: Geelong over Bulldogs by 29, Hawthorn over the Saints by 54 in am impressive display.

Anyone who would have been paying attention could see the Hawks' form was every bit as good as Geelong's and one could argue the Hawks actually went into the Grand Final in better form. However, as the Cats won 21 minor round games (insignificant), they couldn't be beaten, right?

Hawthorn won the 2008 flag because we went into the game full of confidence they could win, the Cats assumed they would win. But the bottom line is, the Hawks won because they played better on the day, as simple as that. No grand larceny, just better football.

2013 - Hawthorn qualified in pole position, Freo 3rd. Hawthorn defeated Sydney in Sydney in the last minor round game, then tore them a new one in the finals winning by 54 points. At that stage, Sydney was in ordinary form and not likely to go much further in the finals. Freo had a good win over the cats and fronted an ordinary Sydney in the preliminary final. Even though we heard much of the "manic pressure" applied by Freo, you would have thought they had won by 100+ points the way the press was carrying on. They did in fact win by 25, whereas the Hawks got over the line with a great victory over their nemesis Geelong.

Anyone paying attention would have known both teams were well situated to win the flag, but enter the media, crapping on about manic pressure and telling the world what Freo were going to do to the hapless Hawks who were only making up the numbers apparently. Hawthorn won because .... that's right, we played better on the day, and no amount of the media claiming how Freo were unlucky because they were s**t kicks for goal can change the fact the Hawks deserved to win.

You would have hoped the media and public may have learnt something from all of this, but no .....

2014 - Round 18, the Hawks defeat Sydney at the MCG by 12 points, proving we were more than a match for the Swans. We lost only 1 more game for the season, round 21 in Perth. Sydney continued to win, but their wins were against Essendon, an out of form Port, St.Kilda and the Bulldogs, then they lost to Richmond. Hardly earth shattering form, but they maintained their red hot favouritism.

Come the finals, the Hawks had a very good win over Geelong by 36 points, and a tough win against Port Adelaide who came back strongly in the final term. Sydney had wins over an up and down Freo, and then a 71 point win over a bunch of witches hats in blue and white jumpers. North were pathetic, but all the media could see was a rampant Sydney, they couldn't lose, they had BUDDY!!! Funny how having Buddy didn't help us in 2012.

So, in the finest tradition of over-the-top reporting, the media paid no attention to the fact the Hawks' two finals wins were against far tougher opposition than the Swans. Even though the thinking football supporter knew this game was ON, we went through the same circus all over again, the media telling us all how the Hawks may as well not turn up to the Grand Final. All Sydney had to do was get to the MCG, and the flag was theirs. Once again we saw the flag go to the team who was better prepared and played better on the day.

Will the media and public ever learn? Probably not.

It's not evil because I daresay a fair few people wearing Sydney gear on the day would have been "supporters" of the other 16 clubs. As was the case with Freo last year.

I couldn't imagine wearing Swans gear at, say, a Sydney-Geelong GF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had about 6 or so young guys sitting in front of me on GF day who were all decked out in $wans gear.
As the game went on we got to talking and they were actually from WA and were West Coast & Freo supporters who had friends who were $ydney supporters get the tickets. I can understand going to a GF even if you don't follow either side, but I would never, ever wear another teams colours.:confused:

I had about 6 or so young guys sitting in front of me on GF day who were all decked out in $wans gear.
As the game went on we got to talking and they were actually from WA and were West Coast & Freo supporters who had friends who were $ydney supporters get the tickets. I can understand going to a GF even if you don't follow either side, but I would never, ever wear another teams colours.:confused:

Agree. I've gone to a GF and barracked for another team because the mate I was with supported them, but I would NEVER wear another team's colours. Well, not on purpose :)

There are certain mindsets I would like the average football supporter to understand, but I can't really blame them considering the infantile way the media carries on.

One is because a team kicked shockingly for goal, they should have won. No, people, bad kicking is the reason they lost, not a reason they should have won. "We turned the ball over more, we kicked a lot more behinds, we made more mistakes ... therefore we should've won!!!". I've found this attitude has crept in since we began paying more attention to stats sheets rather than taking notice of what is actually happening on the field.

The other is this notion that a team can "steal" a premiership. All teams begin the season with an aim to winning enough games to qualify for finals. Once they do this, they then play off to see who can win a place in the Grand Final. Once you reach a Grand Final, you play off for the premiership. To imply that you have stolen something means you have taken something that belonged to some else without their permission.

Sorry folks, but at no stage during the season does any team own the premiership. It is won on the day, and the sooner footy morons get their heads around this, the better we will be. It matters not what has happened during the season, all that matters is which team is better on Grand Final Day. However, this point seems to be lost on our media who just like to think the team they prefer to win is red hot favourite.

2008 - Geelong dominated the minor round with 21 wins from 22. One of these were against Hawthorn who also had a very good year winning 17 from 22. On that occasion, Geelong managed to scrape home by 11 points in a match that was anyone's until the dying seconds of the game. This point was lost on the media who continued to carry on about Geelong being certainties for the flag.

For the rest of the minor round, the Cats chalked up some big wins, but so also did Hawthorn. Come finals, the Hawks were in every bit as good a form as the Cats, but the media couldn't get their heads past the 21 wins from Geelong.

Come the first week of the finals: Geelong beats St.Kilda by 58 points, the Hawks over the Bulldogs by 51.
Preliminary Final week: Geelong over Bulldogs by 29, Hawthorn over the Saints by 54 in am impressive display.

Anyone who would have been paying attention could see the Hawks' form was every bit as good as Geelong's and one could argue the Hawks actually went into the Grand Final in better form. However, as the Cats won 21 minor round games (insignificant), they couldn't be beaten, right?

Hawthorn won the 2008 flag because we went into the game full of confidence they could win, the Cats assumed they would win. But the bottom line is, the Hawks won because they played better on the day, as simple as that. No grand larceny, just better football.

2013 - Hawthorn qualified in pole position, Freo 3rd. Hawthorn defeated Sydney in Sydney in the last minor round game, then tore them a new one in the finals winning by 54 points. At that stage, Sydney was in ordinary form and not likely to go much further in the finals. Freo had a good win over the cats and fronted an ordinary Sydney in the preliminary final. Even though we heard much of the "manic pressure" applied by Freo, you would have thought they had won by 100+ points the way the press was carrying on. They did in fact win by 25, whereas the Hawks got over the line with a great victory over their nemesis Geelong.

Anyone paying attention would have known both teams were well situated to win the flag, but enter the media, crapping on about manic pressure and telling the world what Freo were going to do to the hapless Hawks who were only making up the numbers apparently. Hawthorn won because .... that's right, we played better on the day, and no amount of the media claiming how Freo were unlucky because they were s**t kicks for goal can change the fact the Hawks deserved to win.

You would have hoped the media and public may have learnt something from all of this, but no .....

2014 - Round 18, the Hawks defeat Sydney at the MCG by 12 points, proving we were more than a match for the Swans. We lost only 1 more game for the season, round 21 in Perth. Sydney continued to win, but their wins were against Essendon, an out of form Port, St.Kilda and the Bulldogs, then they lost to Richmond. Hardly earth shattering form, but they maintained their red hot favouritism.

Come the finals, the Hawks had a very good win over Geelong by 36 points, and a tough win against Port Adelaide who came back strongly in the final term. Sydney had wins over an up and down Freo, and then a 71 point win over a bunch of witches hats in blue and white jumpers. North were pathetic, but all the media could see was a rampant Sydney, they couldn't lose, they had BUDDY!!! Funny how having Buddy didn't help us in 2012.

So, in the finest tradition of over-the-top reporting, the media paid no attention to the fact the Hawks' two finals wins were against far tougher opposition than the Swans. Even though the thinking football supporter knew this game was ON, we went through the same circus all over again, the media telling us all how the Hawks may as well not turn up to the Grand Final. All Sydney had to do was get to the MCG, and the flag was theirs. Once again we saw the flag go to the team who was better prepared and played better on the day.

Will the media and public ever learn? Probably not.

Most Bulldogs players/coaches/administrators I'm sure tipped hawks to win the GF because they thought we were in better form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back