Half Term Tony. Is it a possibility?

Remove this Banner Ad

You think giving Abbott a mandate is responsible voting?!

Even the right have turned on him. You'll have to forgive is for considering you delusional.

What are your thoughts on that Ricky Muir character and his qualifications to have even one minute of input into national policy.

What are your thoughts on that Ricky Muir character and his qualifications to have even one minute of input into national policy.

Interesting that with the complete joke candidates both major parties put into the Senate that you're picking on the cross-benchers. His qualification is that he was elected by our electoral system, the same as any other member.

Given how he was thrown into a difficult situation with no preparation for the job he seems to be doing ok. He's been lobbied from all angles and had to make some incredibly difficult decisions on areas of policy he's only just learning. But at least he's considering his decisions carefully and taking his role seriously. He's not an ideological nutbag, he's not just a major party hack sucking on the government teat while doing sweet FA and he's not running his mouth off without thinking. Those things put him well above most senators.

If you take the time to read his views and thought process you might be pleasantly surprised by the job he's doing. I certainly was: http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/21/-sp-ricky-muir-im-finding-my-feet-now

All hail the crossbenchers!!

You conveniently ignore the fact that the PM shouldn't really have to negotiate with car nutters, rugby league players et al on national policy.

But hipsters like yourself voted for them, so blame the PM.

The issue is that people in the Senate aren't going yes sir, please sir, may i have some more. And rightfully so.

Abbott has tried to bring in a host of controversial measures that he never put to the general public. They gave him the Carbon repeal because that was the will of the people, as voted on becuase he put that as a key policy position.

Turning around and saying, we are now cutting ABC (when he said he wouldn't), we are increasing fees on medicare (when he said he wouldn't) etc., the Senate is right to say hold up, convince us exactly why this is necessary, because no one (and certainly not the public) gave you a mandate to do these things.

The issue is that people in the Senate aren't going yes sir, please sir, may i have some more. And rightfully so.

Abbott has tried to bring in a host of controversial measures that he never put to the general public. They gave him the Carbon repeal because that was the will of the people, as voted on becuase he put that as a key policy position.

Turning around and saying, we are now cutting ABC (when he said he wouldn't), we are increasing fees on medicare (when he said he wouldn't) etc., the Senate is right to say hold up, convince us exactly why this is necessary, because no one (and certainly not the public) gave you a mandate to do these things.

Lazarus, Lambie, Muir etc are right across this stuff.

I have great confidence in placing the nation's finances in their hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been trying my best to avoid Australian politics for the past few years out of pure embarressment.

So could someone please fill me in why Turnbull is not even being touted as a potential replacement? My understanding is he really pulled his head in and has been a team player, despite the shambolic government and the media looking for any opportunity to manufacture a beat up over any equivocal comment he makes. He is also popular in the electorate and is a smart bloke. He seems the type that would make a much better PM than Opposition Leader.

Most importantly for this mob, he has plenty of ideas and could set a positive agenda for this government to aim for. It's one thing to be negative in opposition (in fact, its a prerequisite), but nobody really gives two hoots about the repeal of the carbon tax anymore.

He just seems the obvious answer. Much more than Julie Bishop, who doesn't have much charisma despite her competance.

I've been trying my best to avoid Australian politics for the past few years out of pure embarressment.

So could someone please fill me in why Turnbull is not even being touted as a potential replacement? My understanding is he really pulled his head in and has been a team player, despite the shambolic government and the media looking for any opportunity to manufacture a beat up over any equivocal comment he makes. He is also popular in the electorate and is a smart bloke. He seems the type that would make a much better PM than Opposition Leader.

He just seems like the obvious answer.
Abbott defeated Turnbull by one vote back in the day. Since then the elected members have moved a lot further right, there's no way he could get enough party support unless something dramatic happened.

Abbott defeated Turnbull by one vote back in the day. Since then the elected members have moved a lot further right, there's no way he could get enough party support unless something dramatic happened.

Makes sense. But surely political survival has to come into the mix at some stage? Look at Labor, who ended up reinstating Rudd despite hating the bloke.

Most importantly for this mob, he has plenty of ideas and could set a positive agenda for this government to aim for. It's one thing to be negative in opposition (in fact, its a prerequisite), but nobody really gives two hoots about the repeal of the carbon tax anymore.

He just seems the obvious answer. Much more than Julie Bishop, who doesn't have much charisma despite her competance.

Turnbull would move on a lot of drifters left over from the Howard years (Andrews and the other grandfather aged men). He did this with his shadow ministry. When Abbott replaced him he brought them back. They won't support Turnbull. This gives an opening to Julie Bishop.

Yeah, like I want Palmer's puppett Lazarus determining Govt spending.

Grow up peoples.

Person that needs to grow up is you. Smaller parties have generally had balance of power in the senate since what the 70s when Don Chip defected? And when they didn't? Work choices (amongst other s**t). I don't like how the Motoring idiot was elected but blaming the senate for the current position of the LNP is completely ignorant and ridiculous.

Person that needs to grow up is you. Smaller parties have generally had balance of power in the senate since what the 70s when Don Chip defected? And when they didn't? Work choices (amongst other s**t). I don't like how the Motoring idiot was elected but blaming the senate for the current position of the LNP is completely ignorant and ridiculous.

How so?? They refuse to pass reforms to get the nations finances back into some sort of recognisable order.

They shouldn't be there. Nobody wants them there.

How so?? They refuse to pass reforms to get the nations finances back into some sort of recognisable order.

They shouldn't be there. Nobody wants them there.
Because those "reforms" are in direct conflict with what Abbott campaigned on. If Abbott is upset he can call for a double dissolution and make his case to the voting public.

Because those "reforms" are in direct conflict with what Abbott campaigned on. If Abbott is upset he can call for a double dissolution and make his case to the voting public.

Abbott was telling you the nation's finances were heading down the toilet prior to the election.

So, no, there is no direct conflict.

(Just google Wayne Swan and budget surplus).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back