Review AFL NAB Challenge 1 autopsy - Gold Coast defeats Geelong by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems the MC disagree. He is still on our list despite the surgeries and the off season issues and he knows he has stuff to prove.

I hope they do still rate him, otherwise they're just running the clock down until he retires or is delisted at years end.

At the end of the day, either I'll be right or they will be. I really hope it's them.

Surely we can't have that many players needing management. For me, he would be the absolute last player you would name if you had 1 fit ruckman and a pinch hitter, nothing against him but he's category b and still learning the game. Just think it isn't unreasonable to assume we had at least 1 other healthy player available who might actually see senior action this year they could have played.
EVERY player needs management.
Did you happen to see the teams Richmond, Carlton, Hawthorn for starters put together for these end of summer practice games?

Surely we can't have that many players needing management. For me, he would be the absolute last player you would name if you had 1 fit ruckman and a pinch hitter, nothing against him but he's category b and still learning the game. Just think it isn't unreasonable to assume we had at least 1 other healthy player available who might actually see senior action this year they could have played.

Maybe they just wanted to give him a taste of a real game so he has an understanding of the level he'll be required to reach.

Disappointed we lost (but I'm always disappointed when we lose), but it was great to see some of the kittens on the park. No injuries was the biggest winner for me.

Very impressed with Cocky and Lang, I hope at least Lang is a starter in the H&A. Unlike most, I wasn't really impressed with Clarke, just expected more from a mature experienced footballer even when a bit rusty. Dropped a couple early that should have been dollies for a forward. Hopefully he comes up, and they work out how to use him and Hawkins in tandem to best effect.

Like others, concerned about the value of Murdoch and Simpson, and to some degree Smedts, just can't see them improving enough to be in the best 22.

With so much made of the clearance problems by the club at the end of last season it was pretty disappointing to see the same old weaknesses continued today. Selwood and GHS can improve it, sure, but I had hoped the club would have significantly improved the clearance strategies over pre-season more than it seemed today. Bring on the next game!

Shallow.
And to get a like for that comment, (fpm84) I don't get that. Agree maybe, like- bizarre.
Likes are funny things. There's no 'agree' button or 'good post but I see it slightly differntly'.

It's not as shallow as it might appear. Simpson was flogged today for no good reason. And I'm not talking in around the ground, taking marks etc. where I accept he is not going to ever excel. I'm talking in the centre square where he should at least be able to hold his own against an inexperienced (albeit, talented) young ruckman still making his way back from an ACL.

Simpson should have broken even in the circumstances. He may get better from here but I stand by my comment.

Not too fussed about the result or the general scrappyness of the play, it is NAB1 after all. Most of the kids we played showed a few tricks, some more than others. I hope its a lesson against over-hyping our new draftees before you actually see them play a full game. Cockatoo and Gregson both had a good first outing in the hoops but both have a long way to go Lucey played as well as you'd expect him to. Lang had a good game and is on track for round 1. Clark while rusty showed great promise. Most of vets played well as well as most of our emerging players like Duncan, Guthrie, Caddy and Motlop.

On the plus side Kelly and Bartel dominated the midfield early in the game. later in the game we tried a lot of different setups in the middle a lot which we won't see in the season proper. Guthrie who was a regular at center bounces last year wasn't there once after quarter time.

On the downside Mackie played like he didn't care and players I would have hoped would step up like Murdoch, Bews, Kertsen and to a lesser extent Smedts were underwhelming but will get another opportunity to stake a claim for a spot before the season starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
what if McIntosh plays as poorly in his first game back as what Dawson did?

McIntosh has far more runs on the board. He certainly ran out of puff last year which was understandable after so long out of the game (same thing will probably happen to Clark this season - hope we manage him well). But people forget that he was actually pretty effective for us in the first half of the season. 15+ possessions in six of his first 10 games. Goals in five of his first seven games. Averaged 20 hit outs for the year which was more than Hale or Bellchambers. He's our clear number one ruck IMO, and should remain in that role until he gets injured, runs out of steam or Simpson pushes him out. FWIW, the latter option is the best result for our team going forward.

Simpson has framed himself to be the new whipping boy. He didn't look switched on and had some forgettable ruck moments. Also team mates, please don't pass to him on the run. Pass to anyone else.

I suppose most people are interested in the younger players. The senior guys were all fine enough including Clark (didn't look out of place and moved well).

Lang looks solid. His set shots tell a lot about him, absolutely perfect mature kicks. He probably jumped a few places in the food chain today.

Cockatoo had some moments. I think he might need another 12 months as he just seemed twitchy and a bit out of control. He showed his explosive running a few times.

Gregson might be ready to go. He has a chunky little body and I'm gonna say he is not 1mm over his listed 175cm. James Kelly towered over him. He played with confidence.

I didn't notice Varcoe's absence.

Likes are funny things. There's no 'agree' button or 'good post but I see it slightly differntly'.

It's not as shallow as it might appear. Simpson was flogged today for no good reason. And I'm not talking in around the ground, taking marks etc. where I accept he is not going to ever excel. I'm talking in the centre square where he should at least be able to hold his own against an inexperienced (albeit, talented) young ruckman still making his way back from an ACL.

Simpson should have broken even in the circumstances. He may get better from here but I stand by my comment.
Time will tell with DS. Sense of deja-vu for me and some others. (Brown, Varcoe, Blake) Maybe he is cooked, but I saw so much to like in 2013, that the hope is there for me. I'm sure you too would love to see him succeed, but it just may not happen. My major defence for him is that by all prognostications a month ago, DS was not expected to see much NAB action.

I hoped so. We should have agree buttons as well as like buttons.
Best thing about another forum I'm on is that there's a like, agree, disagree and a funny button.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time will tell with DS. Sense of deja-vu for me and some others. (Brown, Varcoe, Blake) Maybe he is cooked, but I saw so much to like in 2013, that the hope is there for me. I'm sure you too would love to see him succeed, but it just may not happen. My major defence for him is that by all prognostications a month ago, DS was not expected to see much NAB action.
Absolutely I hope to see him succeed. After all he has been through it would be fitting reward.

Simpson has framed himself to be the new whipping boy. He didn't look switched on and had some forgettable ruck moments. Also team mates, please don't pass to him on the run. Pass to anyone else.

I suppose most people are interested in the younger players. The senior guys were all fine enough including Clark (didn't look out of place and moved well).

Lang looks solid. His set shots tell a lot about him, absolutely perfect mature kicks. He probably jumped a few places in the food chain today.

Cockatoo had some moments. I think he might need another 12 months as he just seemed twitchy and a bit out of control. He showed his explosive running a few times.

Gregson might be ready to go. He has a chunky little body and I'm gonna say he is not 1mm over his listed 175cm. James Kelly towered over him. He played with confidence.

I didn't notice Varcoe's absence.
Yes you did!

I know it's only preseason etc etc but kind of worrying how the problems that dogged us last year re-emerged immediately. Poor work around the stoppages, long periods where we couldn't get the ball into forward 50 and difficulty in transitioning the ball deep out of defence. Ball use was subpar, particularly by hand in congestion, and that killed.

This is almost exactly how I saw the game and expressed it to the old bloke Kieth next to me at the bar of the Yardz hotel. It just looked more of the same old thing to me.

Just start of the season, tons of 'no injury' kind of comments ahead I still have to see. I hope I can see tons of 'win' instead. 'no injury' is really discourage. It's a soft term for me, mates. Throw any bricks, eggs or rotten tomatoes if you want.

This is almost exactly how I saw the game and expressed it to the old bloke Kieth next to me at the bar of the Yardz hotel. It just looked more of the same old thing to me.
But that's us.

Positives for me:

Clark - sure was rusty but was surprisingly lively for someone who's missed so much footy. If he can avoid getting injured I suspect he'll be very valuable this year.

Lang - I've been saying all pre-season that he ought to be given as many games as possible this year. Quick, great tackler, composed, and a fantastic kick.

2014 draftees - Cocky, Gore and Gregson all showed something. The latter needs to work on his composure a bit.

Bartel and Kelly - Look to be in very good condition considering their age and could have good years if managed well.

Motlop - Great game and way ahead of where he was this time last year

Negatives:

Clearances - Same old story. Particularly worrying given GC didn't have Ablett or Prestia. Caddy and Guthrie weren't nearly as prolific or influential as I was hoping. It's only NAB but I am wary.

Murdoch - I've never been a fan of his, though have tried to be polite about it. My real opinion is that he's a complete dud. If he doesn't get pushed out by a more talented kid this year, or find his role as a forward is no longer available because we now have greater forward depth, I'll be surprised and dismayed.

Disposal under pressure - Hard to know how much to read into skills in the preseason-comp, but they were downright atrocious for periods of the match.

Run - There was a real lack of presenting and gut running in the 2nd quarter especially.

what if McIntosh plays as poorly in his first game back as what Dawson did?
I think the difference is McIntosh has shown he can play at a higher level than Simpson ever has.

Simpsons back may cost him the chance to ever reach his potential, or maybe he was never good enough.

Or the preffered option of all maybe he comes out and proves all of the doubters wrong

Overall I think given that there's still over a month to go before our first H&A game, everything is going OK at the Cattery. The criticism of Lucey is unwarranted because it's highly unlikely he'll be playing the AFL team this year. He has a lot to learn. Bottom line is, don't get carried away by the first preseason game of the year.
Absolutely Blakey! I thought he showed good strength in contests, stood his ground + muscled Suns players from the contest, which allowed our players to attack the ball. His first game with the pointy ball, he's still a kid + he's playing a different code of footy - naturally he's not going to be beating professional oppo rucks. He is huge, he is strong + it takes the big boys a little longer to develop.

come round 1 hale and mcevoy will eat him all over the ground
i hope the next 5 weeks his fitness, luck and form improve

we will need it too
Remember, we didn't have Selwood backing up the rucks today. OK, we desperately need a fit + super ruck, sadly we don't have one, unless HMac has been given bionic legs. We have to wait + see what happens in Rd1, or we could go to our Plan B . . .

You + a mate run onto the G, take out Hale + Big Boy + we'll all chip in for your bail + David Galbally :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back