Review Round 3-Geelong defeats Gold Coast by 9 points

Remove this Banner Ad

That's why Tummy needs to be the full forward - working out of the square and up to the 50. Walker and Clarke need to work up to the wings.
I can see that could work but having one less tall play today really seemed like it increased our speed all over the ground, it was especially noticeable with our ability to get to, make, and create more contests especially in the second half. It could be a bit of a horses for courses thing.

Bews did ok today again, particularly in the second half. He's no star but he is going to be a useful role player for us. Got caught on the wrong side of the contest a couple of times but he was good at getting in front of his man on a number of times to win a contest.
Seems to have a great reach, too, YOTC- evidenced by being able to reach over from behind a larger opponent and still effect the spoil.

I can see that could work but having one less tall play today really seemed like it increased our speed all over the ground, it was especially noticeable with our ability to get to, make, and create more contests especially in the second half. It could be a bit of a horses for courses thing.
Walker is the same height as Tummy. Don't forget we had 1 on the bench too..
I think Dawson out of the side quickens us up immensely.
But more than those things and the reason we looked so much quicker is that Stokes nor Mackie were playing. They always hold play up when they get the ball on a wing.

Walker is the same height as Tummy. Don't forget we had 1 on the bench too..
I think Dawson out of the side quickens us up immensely.
But more than those things and the reason we looked so much quicker is that Stokes nor Mackie were playing. They always hold play up when they get the ball on a wing.
Well you'd think Gore will get a go next week, and Smedts will too because he's Scott's favourite though Thurlow really takes his place in the side so I'd rather see Blease get a crack, then we'd have real speed in the team and could possibly afford to play both Tommy and Walker.

+ 1 packs explode, balls bounce out and around and opportunities are created.
Same as Walker. Plus those little valuable tap-ons, shepherds, etc etc. not sure if they get a goal-assist but they are just immense! He certainly seems to have a very agile brain- can't see why there are calls for him to play in the backline when he seems to be quite agile - as quick as some of the blokes who are 6" shorter than him.

I think in one sense the forward and backlines are incidental when it comes to what's going on in the midfield. The forward line sucks because they don't get good quick supply and the backs leak because it's constantly getting pumped in there.

Same as Walker. Plus those little valuable tap-ons, shepherds, etc etc. not sure if they get a goal-assist but they are just immense! He certainly seems to have a very agile brain- can't see why there are calls for him to play in the backline when he seems to be quite agile - as quick as some of the blokes who are 6" shorter than him.
I think the calls were (and I am guilty of this) a way of being able to fit him in the team. Make no mistake lots of clubs will be sniffing around him next year, Brisbane, Freo etc.

Re Cockatoo

very late…he got possession ( a mark) and Selwood motioned to him to go back and settle….he ignored that and delivered to Blicavs for the sealer.

Tells you plenty I reckon…skill and self confidence abound…he's going to be one very good player.
Tells me one thing....
Insubordination!!!
If he was in the army, he'd be court-martialled for disobeying his superior!

I think in one sense the forward and backlines are incidental when it comes to what's going on in the midfield. The forward line sucks because they don't get good quick supply and the backs leak because it's constantly getting pumped in there.
I agree re: defence, but really in the modern game you need a forward line that can create really good forward line pressure on opposition teams coming out because if you do that then it gives the midfield time to position themselves defensively and then obviously the defence time to set themselves up properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah 3 talls are too many...It's a conundrum. Tommy is a gun but he doesn't really apply any forward line pressure due to his enormous size, it's strange because it almost felt like we were better today without him up there - which I can't believe I'm saying...
I reckon it had more to do with how we moved the ball into the forward line, rather than who we had down there. Hawkins would have kicked a bag today I reckon because in the 2nd half at least, we decided to be more direct with the footy and give our forwards a chance 1 on 1 rather than possessing the ball through the midfield allowing the opposition to fold back and block up the space.

I think the 3 tall forwards could work provided we get the ball into them quickly to allow them 1 on 1 opportunities.

Reading the above re-walker
Walkers ground goal(s) were very good that little snap thing near the post was very good for a big guy.
I reckon walker moves better than Kersten also worked harder up the ground.
If there was no silly sub rule stan R1 Clark R2 walker 3rd/2nd forward would work alright.
would work even better if he could be that swing man type player.

I reckon it had more to do with how we moved the ball into the forward line, rather than who we had down there. Hawkins would have kicked a bag today I reckon because in the 2nd half at least, we decided to be more direct with the footy and give our forwards a chance 1 on 1 rather than possessing the ball through the midfield allowing the opposition to fold back and block up the space.

I think the 3 tall forwards could work provided we get the ball into them quickly to allow them 1 on 1 opportunities.
You're probably right about Hawkins but I'd be really worried with three tall forwards if the ball hits the ground that teams could really exploit us with speed on the rebound. Though it worked fairly well (apart from the GF) for Sydney last year with Buddy, Tippett, and Reid.

perhaps, but then again, Hawkins may not have led to the right places on the ground to even be in the position to kick the goals Walker did. Can't exactly say had Hawkins played, he'd have kicked a bag, because based on his 2015 stats (including praccie games), that likely would not have occurred.

Let's not forget, Walker was troubling both Hawthorn and North Melbourne before he was forced to play in the ruck in last years finals campaign. That was with limited midfield supply also. Who knows what may have transpired had he remained in his preferred position.
Let's also not forget Hawkins kicked 68 goals last season. Walker is a good replacement for Hawk and I hope we play him as much as possible given he's OOC this year and I don't want to see him walk out, that said this side did miss Hawkins and was a weaker side as a result.

How we'll fit Hawk/Clark/Stanley/Walker/Blitz remains to be seen though.

perhaps, but then again, Hawkins may not have led to the right places on the ground to even be in the position to kick the goals Walker did. Can't exactly say had Hawkins played, he'd have kicked a bag, because based on his 2015 stats (including praccie games), that likely would not have occurred.

Let's not forget, Walker was troubling both Hawthorn and North Melbourne before he was forced to play in the ruck in last years finals campaign. That was also with limited midfield supply. Who knows what may have transpired had he remained in his preferred position.
Let's also not forget Hawkins kicked 68 goals last season. Walker is a good replacement for Hawk and I hope we play him as much as possible given he's OOC this year and I don't want to see him walk out, that said this side did miss Hawkins and was a weaker side as a result.

How we'll fit Hawk/Clark/Stanley/Walker/Blitz remains to be seen though.
This may sound bad but would it be worth letting Hawk go and getting something really good for him like a couple of high draft picks? Or a young GWS/Gold Coast mid plus a high draft pick? My personal opinion is Hawk isn't going to get much better given his back history but there's massive upside for Walker...Blasphemy? Danger would be a free agent so I don't think we'd have to give up anything for him if he wanted to come 'home.'

A gutsy, gritty win! No Hawkins, no Rivers and Mackie; Bartel, Stokes and Lonergan injured in play.. An excellent learning curve for the younger players and despite the scrappy nature, an engaging contest.

My observations from the match in chronological order:
- I liked Clarks involvement early in the piece, especially his ability to compete at ground level. Faded as the match progressed as I suspect he spent time in the ruck and down back but nevertheless another handy contribution.

- Lang was lively throughout, save for a few skill errors and poor decisions but like the last few weeks, he was far from alone in that regard.

- As alluded to above, the skill errors and poor decisions were endemic and made for a real scrap. We're lucky the Gold Coast were equally wasteful with the ball for most of the match.

- Once again, smashed in the clearances but we managed to peg this back late in the match and the final numbers don't look TOO bad considering.

- During the first quarter when we were on, the pressure and tackling was solid and we didn't regain this until after half time.

- Our forward press was somewhat disorganised and got penetrated far too often and too easily until later in the match when it appeared that we employed a softer press.

- Kelly looked sharp and dare I say, quick. His best game in years. Conversely, one of the worst games I've seen from Stevie J since the dark old days of 2002-2006.

- Walker competed really well and I'm really happy that got on the end of a few.

- Bloody loved how busy Gregson was. Composed and has a big future.

- The defensive pressure in the third quarter noticeably lifted to a level I have not seen since 2013 which went a long way to swinging the momentum our way.

- Selwood was absolutely massive in the second half. True leadership and the most complete performance I think I have seen from him in a long time, if ever.

- Blicavs was epic in the last quarter and a few 1%ers got us over the line. I think I'm sold, as I also think im sold on the more mobile ruck trio in Stanley, Blitz and Clark

Scott talking about Lonergan

Scott preached caution against an early diagnosis being made on any player who suffers concussion.
"One thing I will say about Tom's situation is if you're a so-called external expert, I think you should be really careful around the issues around concussion for individual players when you've never set eyes on them," Scott said.
"If you want to help, come in and see him face to face, get a feel for the situation, speak to the experts that we have internally before you spout off for self-indulgent reasons."

Now who on earth could he have been talking about?
Sound like his wick is getting a little shorter by the week. Are we SURE he isn't reading BF? ;)

Yeah 3 talls are too many...It's a conundrum. Tommy is a gun but he doesn't really apply any forward line pressure due to his enormous size, it's strange because it almost felt like we were better today without him up there - which I can't believe I'm saying...

Walker was also pretty good with the ball when he pushed up the ground. I really liked all sides to his game. Hawkins is good at working to mark it but when it comes to disposal he can be very indecisive.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back