#1 Ruckman 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

should be graham, the only time simmonds should get a game is when someone needs a rest or they are injured.

vickery shouldnt play in the ruck as much as he did last season, but hopefully browne gets a few games next season.

we should draft atleast one ruckmen, and hopefully add another on the rookie list.

Graham.
Simmonds will only play if we have injuries etc.
Very much there for depth.

Graham looked good this year and suprised most of us with his performances. Hopefully he can take the next step in his development.

vickery should only be played as a foward in 2010.......plain & simple
dont destroy the kid before he is physically ready 100-110 kg gorilla,s jumping into him is not what he should be exposed to in his first year.

simmo should only be played as a relieving ruck & should spend more time at ff or bench.

graham............have my doubts about this kid, dont think he will be a top line ruckman unless something really changes this year looks very awkward in everything he does and uncordinated.

browne..................in 2 years this kid will/could be the ruckman we have been searching for. really like the way this kid looks but still very very raw
another year at coburg with perhaps 3-4 senior games this year

wouldnt want to spend a high draft pick on another ruckman this year
possibly rookie list 1 maybe 2.

Simmonds will most likely be our number 1 ruckman. Think he needs to slim down a bit. I hope he doesn't play like he did last season.

Graham would need to improve to overtake Simmonds me thinks.

I think Vickery should have stints in the ruck. Especially around the ground ( ie throw ins). He isn't a 'gorilla' but he ain't small either. Just keep him away from guys like Brogan and co.

Browne seems like he is worth keeping, but is not ready just yet.

It's time for Hardwick & Lade (if they haven't already) to put a hand in Grahams back and tell him is our number 1 ruck. No more resting on his laurels as our number two just get out there and earn his paycheck. Throw what ever development is required to teach Graham the finer points of rucking.

Vickery needs to take the number two ruck and run with it. He should be told to watch out as Browne will also be vying for that spot too in the near future. Vickery is a ruck not a forward never will be, he is a ruck-man pure and simple. That does not say however that he can't spend some game time in the forward 50 but the most of his game time should be used in the ruck. Great ruck-men don't kick 50 goals plus. If someone can show me one that does I will then be convinced. Likewise great forwards don't make great ruck-man.

Browne should play every Coburg game in 2010 as the premier ruck and adapt to the role or risk being a career VFL player. He needs to start to show something as he and Vickery are same age but he is a man mountain compared to Vickery. Time to step up at VFL and try to dislodge Vickery with good form and results.

Simmonds is only a backup ruck now should Graham or Vickery be injured. He at best was an average ruck throughout his career. He never (even in his AA form) dominated the ruck against other "good" rucks. His time has nearly come to an end at RFC.

Recruitment - With Patto and Putt now gone our ruck stocks are down to four with Simmonds in his last year or so. Need to recruit someone from perhaps SANFL or WAFL in the 19 - 21 year age bracket as a rookie listed ruckman and perhaps another kid with our 3rd or 4th round selection. I worry about our depth post 2010 should Simmonds retire. Like it or not delisting Patto may come back to bite us in the depth at some stage over the next couple of years as I would hate to see Vickery standing in the centre square against a Cox or Jolly for an opening bounce:eek:.

i think Graham will play as the number 1 ruck for most of the year aslong as he is not injured.

Simmonds can play as the second ruck but when not in the ruck will be plated in the goal square with richo and Riewoldt leading from the pockets.

have not seen much of Browne but he has height so if we develop him probably he could become a really handy ruckmen. would like to see him crack some games late in the year to see what he has.

Vickery should only play ruck when Graham or Simmonds are on the bench or needed up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great ruck-men don't kick 50 goals plus. If someone can show me one that does I will then be convinced.

Surely Salmon falls into that category TP...genuinely great ruckman and forward. Agree they're rare as hen's teeth.

-----------------------------

We've seen enough from Graham to be bullish about his future, but a further year as understudy will be good for his development (he's still relatively fragile). If he's outdoing Simmonds (as Simmonds himself occasionally did to Knobel) and his body is going well, then we can always promote him to the no.1 role during the season.

Hard to say where Browne will be at after another pre-season, he's a pretty good athlete for his size. Ideally we'd play he and Graham, but it'd require him to have a massive pre-season.

Not happy Rawlings played Vickery in the ruck even briefly last year...he's too valuable to be knocked about before he's fully grown...much rather be patient while we can afford to be than have a worn out Josh Fraser clone on our hands by the time he's in his mid-20's.

Simmonds is a disgrace.

he should be played only in case of an emergency.

He has no place in our future and was an absolute disgrace form round one this year.

no thanks!@

Simmonds is a disgrace.

he should be played only in case of an emergency.

He has no place in our future and was an absolute disgrace form round one this year.

no thanks!@
calm down. there is more to football than what you see on the field maybe that is why he stayed on the list.

It should be Graham and Simmonds as second choice. Richmond should look at how Carlton have developed Kruzer and play Vickery as a key forward until he develops more physically. That would be common sense.

calm down. there is more to football than what you see on the field maybe that is why he stayed on the list.

Such as?

WE have just employed a gun ruckman as a coach( LADE) so what off field reasons are you referring to?

It was so obvious the game had pased him by last year, so for mine it is an extraordinary decision to keep him.

Graham is an interesting one - at times last year just looked out of place but he did manage to string a few good games together with one or two that were very good for a young ruckman. He should be the number 1 ruck.

It will also be interesting to see where the club plan to play Vickery. Pretty sure Craig Cameron said that we won't be targeting a key forward with pick 3 as we took two with our first two picks last year - in which case the club might actually see Vickery as a forward/ruck rather than a ruck/forward.

Don't want to see Simmonds spending much time at all in the ruck and even less in the forward line. He is past it or at least very close and he should not be sitting in the forward line clogging it up when the younger guys should be doing the work there.

:)Vickery should be played predominantly forward this season, with spurts in the ruck.

With that in mind, your winner as number one ruckman is ....... Troy Simmonds.

Staggered he survived the cull, but as ordinary as he was last season, he is clearly the best option.

Browne is at least two years away from impacting and Graham I am afraid just isn't much chop!!

:)Vickery should be played predominantly forward this season, with spurts in the ruck.

With that in mind, your winner as number one ruckman is ....... Troy Simmonds.

Staggered he survived the cull, but as ordinary as he was last season, he is clearly the best option.

Browne is at least two years away from impacting and Graham I am afraid just isn't much chop!!

rubbish!

I would rather have pattison-at least it looks like he is trying! he may improve, Simmonds will definately not.

He simply has had it to easy for too long and was as bad as anyone on our list this year.

Such as?

WE have just employed a gun ruckman as a coach( LADE) so what off field reasons are you referring to?

It was so obvious the game had pased him by last year, so for mine it is an extraordinary decision to keep him.
if they put in extra at training they might get called up. leader ship, can teach the smaller ruckmen how to win hit outs.

rubbish!

I would rather have pattison-at least it looks like he is trying! he may improve, Simmonds will definately not.

He simply has had it to easy for too long and was as bad as anyone on our list this year.

:)EASE up Hoof.

I don't disagree with what you say......

YES, I'd rather have Patto too.
YES, Patto is capable of improvement (though should have not have been forced to carry the ruck, nor play there ... was recruited as a forward and played all of one game there).
YES, Simmonds won't improve.
YES, Simmonds was "as bad as anyone on our list this year".

But simple fact, Patto ain't there anymore and WON'T be playing ruck for the Tigers next year, and sadly Simmonds is our best bet, until one of Vickery or Browne develops or Graham suddenly improves big-time.

I'll near guarantee Simmo is there at the first bounce come round one.

I don't agree with it, but it's gonna happen!!!

Our ruck stocks until Vickery develops are, at best, poor!!!

The thing with Simmonds is that he's always been virtually useless unless he's 100% fit and on past examples, that takes him an entire pre-season and half a dozen games. If he cops niggles and/or misses games, he's back to needing another few runs to get fully fit again...otherwise - as one bloke at PRE put so beautifully years ago - he runs and jumps like he's towing a caravan. :D

Obviously we think we can get him fully fit for the coming season.

Lade may well have had a bit of input too - having competed against him numerous times, he's in the perfect position to provide him with a stack of constructive criticism, plus tell him what elements made him a more dangerous opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back