NFL (15/16) Super Bowl 50: Denver Broncos vs Carolina Panthers

Game Predictions...(1 vote per category, 7 votes total)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of me wishing Rivera gave Cam one of these on the sidelines after not diving on the ball....

and then he threw Private Anderson in for the last two minutes.

Denver had over 100 QB hits throughout the playoffs

They made three good teams look ordinary on offense. That isn't a coincidence. Mistakes come when there is pressure and that's what we saw.

I've watched the SB twice now. First broadcast, then condensed.

Weighing EVERYTHING up, really, Cam Newton was the reason the Panthers lost today. Such a poor performance at QB. He made so many errant throws. Sure there was pressure here and there, and sometimes there wasn't, but if he had made a number of those throws in spite of pressure, the Panthers would've won instead. Receivers didn't help early dropping some passes, but thruout the game (early, middle and late) Newton was a culprit.

For instance, look at how Brady fought all game last year, found a way schematically, to get yards/downs against the vaunted Seahawks D, and was masterful down the stretch. That's an example of when a QB, or QB play, can stand up and declare itself "elite". It's obviously very difficult, but in games like this, when both defenses dominate, and you're the QB, team on your shoulder, a chance to either a) get your team back into the game, and/or b) get your team the lead at the end, where you can make your mark, and where the importance and hype of being a QB is validated.
I wouldn't pin the loss on Cam. I agree that maybe the occasion or too much adrenalin seemed to affect his play in the first half. Like you say, he made a lot of bad throws that he normally makes look so easy, but he also gave them the best chance to win the game and you never felt they were truly out of the game because of him.

Look at the first half. Both D's were dominating the game. Beyond the first drive the Broncos weren't making much inroads offensively and, after the strip for a TD (which some argue may not have occurred had they won the challenge), the Panthers were starting to find a rhythm.
After that Broncos TD they put together a small drive leading to a punt, before seeing the Broncos go 3 and out.
The next drive was a 10 play 77 yard TD drive that featured Cam moving around, misdirection to get the Broncos out of position and a lot of stuff that looked like would help them negate the Broncos pass rush.

Next possession they tried some trickery that didn't work, but then a special teams brain fart sees the Broncos gain 61 yards on a punt return. Instead of pinning Denver on their own 25 they now have the ball on Carolinas 14. The way the Panthers D was playing at that point I can't see the Broncos making much progress and the Panthers would probably get good field position in return, instead the Broncos converted that field advantage to a FG and now it's a 13-7 game. With a few things going against them morale starts to drop.

The ensuing drive, Newton moves around again and gets a big gain but then Tolbert coughs up the ball (granted the helmet on the ball would make it hard to hold, but better ball protection is a must especially as he nearly lost a fumble earlier) that kills another drive before it starts and is another twist of the knife.

Had they tackled Norwood and had Tolbert had held on to the ball it's a different first half and no doubt a different second half and possible outcome.

The Panthers had a solid drive to open the 2nd half only to have their FG attempt hit the upright (another twist of the knife), which the Broncos turned about for a FG of their own.

Then the Panthers followed that with an interception (twist, twist) and, following that, the Panthers play calling seemed to become all about short passes and inside runs.
Penalties also hurt them, giving them a number of 2nd/3rd and longs, when they were trying to get back in the game. That played in to the hands of the Broncos defence and, with Newton sitting in the pocket, allowed the Broncos to tee off on him.

I know that's a lot of sliding doors moments and, while Cam had poor moments and poor body language, you can't pin it on him for the loss. Maybe you can pin it on him for not getting the win, but the Panthers loss had a lot of contributors.

Last edited:
Whats with all these people and there 'take notes AFL' re; The Halftime Show.

It's ******* s**t, not there to watch a quasi concert.

So vastly overrated, as is Beyonce.

Well I think a lot of credit should go to Elway. If you said a few years ago that Denver would win the Super Bowl because of their defense after being slaughtered by Seattle and having Manning set all kinds of records, people would have called you crazy. Made some great defensive signings, drafted well and worked some magic with those contracts. How they are under the cap I don't know.

I said after the Divisional that I thought the Panthers were downhill skiers. After halftime when Seattle woke up the Panthers could not respond and the swagger was quickly gone from Cam. They nearly coughed up the Giants game in a similar manner.

Yesterday they pissed their pants from the outset and were just lucky that Manning was so rubbish or they'd have been torched. Tom Brady would've feasted on them.

Downhill skiers?? they demolished Seattle early and destroyed the Cardinals and I think they would have beaten any other AFC team.

even a bronco fan like you could not deny exasperation over the fact that Newton had a chance to win the game with 5 mins to go. no doubt Manning is a great quarterback in the past but his performance today almost cost his team despite the defence dominating and setting up so many chances to not only win but win huge. if Von miller had not made that play and Newton engineered just one drive the Bronco fans would have lynched Manning and deservedly so. Manning was almost the ultimate anchor. the american media like to paint it as a fairytale finish but fans know the real truth. hope he retires for his sake
You don't have a clue.
Those of us who've watched every Broncos game have seen what happened yesterday play out repeatedly, game after game. This season was a defensive masterclass from Wade Phillips, and managed perfectly by Kubiak, who had an ageing QB who can't plant his feet anymore. Denver would run an aggressive offence maybe 2-3 drives per game, get a lead and then go ultra conservative. It was very ugly at times but it worked, over and over. Yesterday was no different to almost every one of our wins this season. Stressful as hell but not for a second exasperating because it was what we had seen before, and were praying would work against the panthers. And it did. All the light weight analysis before this game was frustrating to listen to, so it's even worse to read posts like yours after the fact. We'll enjoy this strangest of seasons forever, and the TAB winnings too

you my friend are a dead set fool and have possibly been following the sport for only a few years if you honestly believe the stuff you are saying.
I know we are entitled to share opinions and all but to suggest Manning is not one of the greatest ever and would barely make it as a top 5 regular season quarterback is possibly the alcohol talking and nothing more.
He has been one of the most consistent QB's for nearly two decades. He's raised the bar and elevated the sport. Heck' they even have a rule named after him :p
Players who have won championships speak about him as one of the top 3 or 2 to have played the position.

Give it a rest.
Win or lose yesterday would not have changed anything (although 2 rings sounds better than 1).
Oh please. My first live game was Joe Montana's last regular season game for KC.

Manning's regular season numbers are great. Which only serves to highlight his post season "ordinaryness." Hence, IMO, he can't be considered the GOAT. Yes he'll be well regarded through history and will go 1st ballot to the HoF but he'll never be regarded as the best.

I said after the Divisional that I thought the Panthers were downhill skiers. After halftime when Seattle woke up the Panthers could not respond and the swagger was quickly gone from Cam. They nearly coughed up the Giants game in a similar manner.

Yesterday they pissed their pants from the outset and were just lucky that Manning was so rubbish or they'd have been torched. Tom Brady would've feasted on them.

Lucky Manning was rubbish, yes, thats it, dont credit our defense. The same defense that feasted on Russell Wilson as he shat the bed for the entire half against us in the playoffs and cost you the game. Our D played lights out for the majority of yesterday also, kept us in the game a hell of a lot longer than we should have been, to tarnish the whole team with a downhill skiers brush just shows how much of a moron you are.

Tom Brady would have feasted on our D? Ok... :rolleyes:

Cam would have feasted on the NE D, im going to use the same logic as you do, the same NE D that allowed Manning to throw for two TD's the week before, remember? :thumbsu:

How about giving Denver some credit, you know, the same Denver that beat NE the week before rather than just saying "Panthers lost the game" ?

As for the "They nearly coughed up the Giants game in a similar manner" ...Cam won us that game, make no mistake about it. Look at the stats, probably his best game of year.

You cant have it both ways, idiot.

Last edited:
Just on the unsuccessful challenge... My view was that he had full control as he went to ground and the end of the ball made contact with the turf. Which would have been a completion except that the ball definitely comes loose in his grasp and moves up onto his thigh/hip before he secures it again. So therefore incomplete.

The other evidence that is was incomplete was Simms and Nantz stating it was a catch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting lost behind Miller and Ware is Kony Ealy's game, he was an absolute monster, easily the best game of his short career and one of the best defensive playoff performances by a player of all time statistically:

In the Panthers' 24-10 loss to the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50, Ealy did something no player has ever done before. With three sacks and an interception, he became the first player to record multiple sacks and an interception in a Super Bowl.

The three sacks matched Hall of Famer Reggie White for the Packers 19 years ago and Darnell Dockett for the Cardinals seven years ago for the most in a Super Bowl. Ealy is the first player in any postseason game to record multiple sacks, an interception, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in the same game since 1993.

I loved the speech she gave accepting the trophy after the game too.
2Nmr1rZ.jpg

Whats with all these people and there 'take notes AFL' re; The Halftime Show.

It's ******* s**t, not there to watch a quasi concert.

So vastly overrated, as is Beyonce.
Whenever an AFL fan talks about the NFL I just tune out.

Really don't know why the AFL fans want to sport to be more commercialized with bigger fan fare. It's ruining the one thing that makes the AFL feels authentic.

Broncos just this year decided to return to their main orange uniform. Don't know if that falls under the "5 year rule" that they can't change. But you'd have to say they should never wear orange again. Won all the lombardi's wearing blue or white. And suffered humiliations when wearing the orange.

Perhaps if they finally get a new uniform update (the actual design) then they can change back to blue as the main color in terms of the "5 year rule".
We changed to orange 4 years ago?

I don't know why, but all game the Panthers OFFENSE was gassed. The Panthers D, Broncos D, Broncos O -- were all NOT gassed. But the Panthers O was always limping, hunching, breathing, slow out of the huddle, even emotionally deflected. Don't know if it was that ridiculous no-catch verdict on the challenge at the start of the game, but a team (or unit) needs to be able to let those things go.

You seem surprised? I'm not sure about you or others but it was coming all along IMO

People are scared off by Super Bowl 48. What they fail to realise is that this is a different team.

This is mentally and physically the toughest team in the NFL and they've proved it all season long. They are tougher than the Seahawks, they are tougher than the Patriots, and most importantly they are tougher than the Panthers. People can deny it all they like but it will just come back to bight them in the arse like it did today.

I will have no tears for people who lose their livelihood betting on the Panthers.

Lucky Manning was rubbish, yes, thats it, dont credit our defense. The same defense that feasted on Russell Wilson as he shat the bed for the entire half against us in the playoffs and cost you the game. Our D played lights out for the majority of yesterday also, kept us in the game a hell of a lot longer than we should have been, to tarnish the whole team with a downhill skiers brush just shows how much of a moron you are.

Tom Brady would have feasted on our D? Ok... :rolleyes:

Cam would have feasted on the NE D, im going to use the same logic as you do, the same NE D that allowed Manning to throw for two TD's the week before, remember? :thumbsu:

How about giving Denver some credit, you know, the same Denver that beat NE the week before rather than just saying "Panthers lost the game" ?

As for the "They nearly coughed up the Giants game in a similar manner" ...Cam won us that game, make no mistake about it. Look at the stats, probably his best game of year.

You cant have it both ways, idiot.

Yes, Manning was absolutely embarrassing. The fact your D didn't have to worry about anything deep because Manning was either not going to throw there or would most likely miss the target helped them. Your D played well, but there is no hiding how s**t Manning was yesterday, same with Thomas.

Russell Wilson was awful first half, as was the entire team! But when the Hawks got going, Wilson was able to turn his game around and nearly carry the team to victory. Something Newton could not do. And Russell Wilson at least tries to recover fumbles! I stand by Cam being a downhill skier, as soon as things went against him yesterday he sulked and threw in the towel. For all the s**t he talked before the game "You've never seen someone like me", he failed to back up his yap. At least big mouth Sherman backs up his. (I still don't like the trash talking though).

Yes, a QB that was an accurate passer who actually had competent WRs and Gronk would've destroyed you yesterday. And if Denver ran the ball more in the first half so would've they. You simply had no answer for those big running plays. Manning of two weeks ago played far superior to yesterday and you don't think the home crowd and conditions helped him there???? Ok :rolleyes:

I gave Denver's D credit, I'm just not going to get all wet in the panties and compare them to the 85 Bears when imo they weren't even as good as the SB48 LOB who faced a superior Manning and Denver. You saying 2013 Manning 5,477 yards, 55 TDs and only 10 INTs isn't light years ahead of this Manning?? Ok :rolleyes:

21-3 in the final quarter against the Giants and nearly blowing a 28 pt lead. Yes, a great game by Newton to throw 5 TDs and 340 yards, but again your side struggled to arrest momentum when the opposition got it. Same as the divisional. And we are talking the Giants, who were 6-7 at the time. At 10-16 yesterday Manning opened the door for Newton, but he couldn't get it done.

No need for the personal attacks, but I've noticed that trend in your posting.

Back