Live Event 2012 NAB AFL Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing with Garlett is he is as big a risk no matter what pick, whether its pick 5 or a rookie pick. Has nothing to do with his on field ability but his attitude and discipline around the club. So what I'm trying to say is people should stop saying "surely his worth a late pick or rookie spot", because getting picked as a rookie isn't gonna eliminate any of those issues or stop him from being unprofessional or whatever the problem is.

I rate his playing ability highly and would have it top 10 material which is why is issues must be pretty dam serious and worrying.
Surely it would be worth at least having him come down and train with the club for a week and at least see if the effort is there. For all we know he might be absolutely shattered that he missed out and ready to change his ways, putting in 100% effort to keep up at training, etc. If he even shows signs of improving then he is worth a rookie pick, no doubt about it. If he doesn't well then we move on, pretty simple really. (sure he could be as bad as ever but we won't know for sure unless we have him train with us)

Turning the attention to the PSD, i really think we can have a quick turn around to jumping up the ladder if we are smart here. We have drafted really well, so if we nail PSD , we are right on the way !

On a serious note, surely there must be better options than hacks like Bate and Prismal ? Toy if his heart is ok? Collohaun ? Who else is a possibility?

So you got the birthday presents you wanted Wian. Great stuff. :p
Yes, very happy - I honestly believe we recruited the best players available. No Prospect Players, No Atheletic Types that havent learned the game yet Yada Yada Yada ! It seems we have recruited players that have football brains....

Much better recruiting strategy

It wasn't the draft I was hoping for, but how can I possibly complain.

Stringer is the alpha dog super star we need.

Macrae, whilst I never really saw it, is a very highly rated player who has the pace and skills we need. He will take some time to bulk up though. Was hoping for Wines - he's gonna be a beast

At pick 21, I was hoping for Simpson or Kennedy but in hindsight, Hrovat could be one of the steals of the draft. I was hoping for some pace at this spot, and Hrovat seems quite similar to Libba, but he is apparently the best clearance player in the draft. So good pickup

Josh Prudden - never heard of him. Sounds pretty good. Not much opinion on this selection either way

I'm now hoping desperately that we pick up Irra and Colquhoun. I've given up hope for Garlett but I still want him. If we get at least one of these guys I'll be pretty happy with draft on a whole.

I'll be very disappointed if we pick up Bate and Prismall. I just don't see the point.

I know it's stupid to pin the hopes of a football team on one player BUT I think Stringer could be the difference on how good this team gets. I'm hoping like everyone else, he regains his #1 pick form.

Looking forward to getting one of Boyd, Aish, Kelly and Billings next year and then starting our rise back to the top 4. Go Dogs

Surely it would be worth at least having him come down and train with the club for a week and at least see if the effort is there. For all we know he might be absolutely shattered that he missed out and ready to change his ways, putting in 100% effort to keep up at training, etc. If he even shows signs of improving then he is worth a rookie pick, no doubt about it. If he doesn't well then we move on, pretty simple really. (sure he could be as bad as ever but we won't know for sure unless we have him train with us)

That is a good point and something I was thinking about last night. Could be some teams wanna see how he responds to being overlooked and kinda test his character. Then re-interview him and see if it has been a kick up the arse or the penny still hasn't dropped. But 18 clubs overlooking him with the talent he has just isn't a good sign.

That is a good point and something I was thinking about last night. Could be some teams wanna see how he responds to being overlooked and kinda test his character. Then re-interview him and see if it has been a kick up the arse or the penny still hasn't dropped. But 18 clubs overlooking him with the talent he has just isn't a good sign.
Yeah definitely, and I'd say going by that it probably isn't very likely that he changes but you would regret it if he does and you didn't even bother to re-interview him or let him train with you.

Yes, very happy - I honestly believe we recruited the best players available. No Prospect Players, No Atheletic Types that havent learned the game yet Yada Yada Yada ! It seems we have recruited players that have football brains....

Much better recruiting strategy

I'm glad you're happy with our selections. I am as well.

In particular I'm glad we took the punt on Stringer. Until we made it pretty clear how keen we were on him, he was not even invited to the draft meeting by the AFL. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jake ends up being the very best player selected in the draft.

We now have a cult-figure/potential intimidating gun player that will bring some excitement to the club's supporters as we watch him develop. We'll have to be patient as Stringer has a long way yet to go in getting his body AFL ready, but if he can do it, look out! :D

I also really like Hrovat and think that he will be a very good selection for us. If attitude and determination have anything to do with outcome, then Stringer and Hrovat can become great AFL players (we know they have the skills necessary.)

If only Redpath can make it - imaging having Redpath and Stringer rampaging around the forward line. That would give us the take no s**t forward setup we briefly saw with Barry Hall stalking around wearing the number 28.

I'm now hoping desperately that we pick up Irra and Colquhoun. I've given up hope for Garlett but I still want him. If we get at least one of these guys I'll be pretty happy with draft on a whole.

I'll be very disappointed if we pick up Bate and Prismall. I just don't see the point.

I know it's stupid to pin the hopes of a football team on one player BUT I think Stringer could be the difference on how good this team gets. I'm hoping like everyone else, he regains his #1 pick form.

Looking forward to getting one of Boyd, Aish, Kelly and Billings next year and then starting our rise back to the top 4. Go Dogs

Yeah I'm really hoping for one or two of Haynes/Irra/Colquhoun/Garlett too. Also maybe one of them and Toy would be good. If take at least one of those 5 and maybe Bate I could put up with that, 'cause he could provide a bit of a target up forward for a while but surely we don't go for Prismall with our midfield as strong (potentially strong anyway) as it is.

If we score Boyd next year (obviously the other 3 you mentioned are good too but Boyd would be the best for us) our team is actually looking very very good

Roberts Roughy Wood
Johannisen Talia Howard
Macrae Smith Hrovat
Hunter Jones Tutt
Stringer Boyd Dahlhaus
Campbell Wallis Libba

looks pretty good to me :p

Turning the attention to the PSD, i really think we can have a quick turn around to jumping up the ladder if we are smart here. We have drafted really well, so if we nail PSD , we are right on the way !

On a serious note, surely there must be better options than hacks like Bate and Prismal ? Toy if his heart is ok? Collohaun ? Who else is a possibility?

I spoke to a mate who supports essendon and he thinks Prismall is a superstar just unlucky with injuries.. Personally would love us to snare Coloquhon/Garlett and then chuck Prismall in there just for our young midfielders to learn off

As opposed to Bate who has been in a cellar dwelling team his whole career

Came of contested footy website

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Selections: Jake Stringer, Jackson Macrae, Nathan Hrovat, Lachie Hunter, Joshua Prudden and upgraded rookies Tom Campbell and Jason Johannisen.
ContestedFooty’s Thoughts: The Bulldogs first four picks are all quality, in fact they were four of my favorite prospects.
They also picked up a lesser known prospect in Prudden, who is an inside midfielder from the Murray Bushrangers and a good smokey.
Score: 9/10- solid choices all round and love the late smokey.

Seems pretty consistent that most people like who we got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we could use another running defender on our list, so just had a look at the highlights for Colquhoun, Haynes and Osborne.

Not sold on Haynes, the kid is quick but he seems to just bomb the footy long. Doesn't seem to have any awareness or composure. Great athlete though, so if he could be taught to use it better he could be a player.

Colquhoun looks a better prospect. Uses the footbal nicely but doesn't look like he knows how to defend or win the ball. Could be a good rookie project though.

Osborne is my pick of the 3. Granted he already has a couple of years development on the other 2 but he uses the ball nicely & just looks like a natural footballer. I'm amazed that no one took him in the draft.

It sucks that we only have 4 rookie spots now, because the guy I would really like to see us take is Calvert.
The guy is a beast, and we are really lacking tall forwards now that Panos & Hill are gone.

It will be interesting to see what we do with those last 2 spots. I'm pretty confident that one will go to Toy, but the fact we didn't use pick 84 makes it seem as though we will be upgrading another rookie.

Justin Hardy's one we ought to look at. 196cm gun, mature aged Power Forward for Central Districts in the SANFL, kicking 58 goals for the season(won the leading goalkicker award) after starting the season as a defender who can pinch hit in the ruck. While I still think we'll get Prismall and Bate, Hardy's definitely one we should consider selecting.

Justin Hardy's one we ought to look at. 196cm gun, mature aged Power Forward for Central Districts in the SANFL, kicking 58 goals for the season(won the leading goalkicker award) after starting the season as a defender who can pinch hit in the ruck. While I still think we'll get Prismall and Bate, Hardy's definitely one we should consider selecting.
Sounds like a good pick up, even just providing a target for a year or so.

From Bigpond sport
http://www.bigpondsport.com/afl-draft-winners-and-losers/tabid/91/newsid/98807/default.aspx

Western Bulldogs
This was an important draft for Brendan McCartney and the rebuilding Dogs, and on the surface they appear to have knocked it out of the park. Their first pick, Jake Stringer, was the standout KPF from this year's crop and a player the Bulldogs desperately need to come good. Stringer had been on the Dogs' radar for two years and, save for a broken leg, would probably have gone earlier than pick five, so they are rapt to get him. The Dogs also picked up a classy on-baller in Oakleigh Chargers midfielder Jackson Macrae and were thrilled that Nathan Hrovat slid through to them at pick 21. Add father-son selection Lachie Hunter and you can see the Bulldogs' next-gen side coming together already, with a sleeker, smarter midfield and a monster in the goal square.

From Bigpond sport
http://www.bigpondsport.com/afl-draft-winners-and-losers/tabid/91/newsid/98807/default.aspx

Western Bulldogs
This was an important draft for Brendan McCartney and the rebuilding Dogs, and on the surface they appear to have knocked it out of the park. Their first pick, Jake Stringer, was the standout KPF from this year's crop and a player the Bulldogs desperately need to come good. Stringer had been on the Dogs' radar for two years and, save for a broken leg, would probably have gone earlier than pick five, so they are rapt to get him. The Dogs also picked up a classy on-baller in Oakleigh Chargers midfielder Jackson Macrae and were thrilled that Nathan Hrovat slid through to them at pick 21. Add father-son selection Lachie Hunter and you can see the Bulldogs' next-gen side coming together already, with a sleeker, smarter midfield and a monster in the goal square.

That 1 line has put a smile on my face from a rather crap year for being a doggies supporter.

From Bigpond sport

Western Bulldogs

Are they referring to Stringer here? He looks like a strong boy, but would you describe his as a monster forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back