Live Event 2012 NAB AFL Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't buy this.

Now, I'm not saying that Dalrymple isn't happy with their picks. (I sure am!) But to suggest that these were the 4 players they were aiming for seems unlikely to me. In particular, it seemed clear that the Dogs were aiming for O'Rourke, not MacRae. MacRae might have been our fallback guy. And he seems an excellent one. But it doesn't take much mind-reading to see that Jono O'Rourke thought he was going to the Dogs. And he only would have thought that cause we indicated to him that he probably was going to be.

Sure, after O'Rourke was picked by the Giants we might have then received our next most preferred option. But let's not pretend O'Rourke wasn't our first (and expected) option.
Well yeah, but you can say that about any player taken before him who was obviously worth a higher pick. We'd have loved Whitfield at pick 6, but it wasn't going to happen. Same with O'Rourke after it was known they'd take him.
I don't think it's out of the realms of possibility that Macrae was who they realistically targeted at that pick, which is how I read the article.

I don't know how you figure that Jono O'Rourke thought he was coming to the Dogs. I'd say he knew we were interested in him, but he definitely would have known GWS taking him was a big possibility.

I don't know how you figure that Jono O'Rourke thought he was coming to the Dogs. I'd say he knew we were interested in him, but he definitely would have known GWS taking him was a big possibility.

I believed O'Rourke thought he was coming to the Dogs (a week ago at least) because he explicitly said he'd like to play for the Dogs in one of his online interviews (referenced in an above post). That isn't the kind of thing players say unless they are almost certain where they're going to end up. They don't want any unnecessary awkwardness if they don't end up at the club they say they'd like to play for.

For example, Stringer seemed relieved to me in his post-draft interview that he was coming to the Dogs. He said that it was almost a best-case scenario for him. But I don't remember him ever saying anything like that before the draft. Players are careful around the media like that.

So the fact that O'Rourke was so precise in the club he mentioned - nothing vague about it at all - suggested to me he thought it was a done deal at the time he sat for the interview.

I believed O'Rourke thought he was coming to the Dogs (a week ago at least) because he explicitly said he'd like to play for the Dogs in one of his online interviews (referenced in an above post). That isn't the kind of thing players say unless they are almost certain where they're going to end up. They don't want any unnecessary awkwardness if they don't end up at the club they say they'd like to play for.

For example, Stringer seemed relieved to me in his post-draft interview that he was coming to the Dogs. He said that it was almost a best-case scenario for him. But I don't remember him ever saying anything like that before the draft. Players are careful around the media like that.

So the fact that O'Rourke was so precise in the club he mentioned - nothing vague about it at all - suggested to me he thought it was a done deal at the time he sat for the interview.
What i'm saying is, there's no way he thought there was no chance of going to GWS. They would have interviewed him a fair bit, and given an indication that they were interested in taking him.

What i'm saying is, there's no way he thought there was no chance of going to GWS. They would have interviewed him a fair bit, and given an indication that they were interested in taking him.

Oh sure, I understand that. GWS wouldn't have chosen him out of nowhere. And he clearly was always at least some chance of going to a club with a higher pick.

But at the point of taking that interview if he actually thought he was likely to go to GWS I can't see him selling himself to different clubs. So I'm suggesting that for whatever reason (reasons we can't know for sure) he was confident at that exact moment that he was likely going to the Dogs.

Maybe what happened was he thought GWS had gone cold on him, and the Dogs had told him they were going to pick him. Or maybe GWS hadn't shown a massive amount of interest in him at that point, but it picked up soon after. Or maybe he'd told GWS privately he didn't want to go to Sydney and so he thought they'd heed his wishes. I don't really know. All I'm saying is that if he had absolutely no idea where he was going to end up, it would seem odd that he would explicitly cite the team that had 3rd dibs on him without some inside info.

And my main point (going back to how this all started) isn't actually about O'Rourke at all, but the Dogs. If the Dogs hadn't given a very strong indication that they wanted him, then O'Rourke wouldn't have been saying he wanted to play there. Hence why I suggested he was the Dogs' preferred midfield option over Macrae.

Anyway, I think we understand each other's points of view! So I'll shut up now.

I think if you were to trawl through all the posts in the drafts and trades thread (good luck!), you'll find references to both Stringer and O'Rourke effectively saying (through Twitter/Facebook type social medai) that they expected to be picked up by the Dogs, so there must have been some level of understanding there. They were clearly the ones we were keen on. Having said that, I also read that we interviewed Macrae pretty extensively, so he was clearly in our calculations.

If we go back to 5-7 days pre draft, the media, and a lot of posters had the top 4 pretty much set.
And in most cases that did not include ORourke. Although he doubtless knew GWS were interested,
perhaps he was assuming they were hoping he would slide to their picks at 12 & 14. Assuming the Dogs
had made their interest abundantly clear to him, he would therefore have been reasonably confident that
he would not likely slide past their two picks at 5-6.
Perhaps GWS realizing that also, influenced their decisions too. We will never know I guess.
Hope our guys keep in touch with his management over the next couple of years, just in case he dislikes
life in Sydney as much as I did.

After viewing all the highlight videos. I'm pretty rapt with how we've drafted. Think Hunter was a steal too. His stats really stack up.

Here's hoping they all develop well.

In the cold light of day, I'm still disappointed we missed o'rourke. Very surprised gws took him over toumpas. I wonder if they took him knowing dom tyson is gone.

Bottom line is, we have drafted good talent. I'm also very very high on hunter. Kid looks a genuine talent.

But from here, the real work starts. We need to coach and develop these guys better than everyone else, or we're forever destined to dwell in the cellar.

In the cold light of day, I'm still disappointed we missed o'rourke. Very surprised gws took him over toumpas. I wonder if they took him knowing dom tyson is gone.

Bottom line is, we have drafted good talent. I'm also very very high on hunter. Kid looks a genuine talent.

But from here, the real work starts. We need to coach and develop these guys better than everyone else, or we're forever destined to dwell in the cellar.
At the start of the draft, GWS had pick 1. By the end of the first week they had picks 1,2 and 3 and the option of all these players thanks to the AFL, Melbourne and Gold Coast. I'd like to exact whatever revenge is due upon all of GWS, Gold Coast and Melbourne starting on the paddock next year. Release the hounds.

default.aspx
16174_10151264698302487_1706286661_n.jpg

Geez they're some big arms for a 19 year old!
Overall I think the club got the best players available at each pick and am happy with the players we got. Would have liked a bit more pace and a key forward but looks like the club has done well. Just hope Shaw or clurey don't turn out to be guns. Liked prudens highlights as well although thought Atkins or even Colquhan were with a shirt at 51 and Pruden could have come later. Just have to cross our fingers now and how maccas plan works out

I would like to give credit to the club for not leaking like a sieve in the lead-up to the draft (except for that loose-lipped, face-eating Dannnnnnnnnnnnn ... but who reads BF, eh?)

At one stage we had a discussion here about whether GWS was bluffing or not but really what's the point in them bluffing with the first three picks in their hand? The club that needed to play its cards close to its chest was the club that had three first round picks spread between 5 and 21 ... us. Other clubs were desperately trying to second guess us. Not so important with picks 5 & 6 but more so down the order.

Nobody knew we were hot on Hrovat or had even had a first glance at Prudden.

Well done, Dalrymple, 2xMacca and co. (Also well done Fantasia for keeping your nose out of it)

Geez they're some big arms for a 19 year old!
Overall I think the club got the best players available at each pick and am happy with the players we got. Would have liked a bit more pace and a key forward but looks like the club has done well. Just hope Shaw or clurey don't turn out to be guns. Liked prudens highlights as well although thought Atkins or even Colquhan were with a shirt at 51 and Pruden could have come later. Just have to cross our fingers now and how maccas plan works out

Jeez I hate when people say stuff like this. Why would you not want them to be guns? We are the ones that passed on them, not their fault.

I would like to give credit to the club for not leaking like a sieve in the lead-up to the draft (except for that loose-lipped, face-eating Dannnnnnnnnnnnn ... but who reads BF, eh?)

At one stage we had a discussion here about whether GWS was bluffing or not but really what's the point in them bluffing with the first three picks in their hand? The club that needed to play its cards close to its chest was the club that had three first round picks spread between 5 and 21 ... us. Other clubs were desperately trying to second guess us. Not so important with picks 5 & 6 but more so down the order.

Nobody knew we were hot on Hrovat or had even had a first glance at Prudden.

Well done, Dalrymple, 2xMacca and co. (Also well done Fantasia for keeping your nose out of it)
It's not in my nature to serially like peoples posts. Please post something disagreeable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez I hate when people say stuff like this. Why would you not want them to be guns? We are the ones that passed on them, not their fault.
Not saying I want them to fail in their careers just would be upset if the club overlooked a champion forward of the future. That said I Think Hrovat was the right choice

Will we look at Garlett in the rookie draft? Picking him up in the rookie and getting him sorted could be the steal of the off season.

Will we look at Garlett in the rookie draft? Picking him up in the rookie and getting him sorted could be the steal of the off season.
Highly doubt it. Doesn't fit in with the quality people mantra.

Here's the vid.

http://video.perthnow.com.au/v/83003/2012-AFL-Draft-Pick-Me-Jono-ORourke

You can probably read it a number of ways. My feeling is that he would've been asked the question, at that point in time, "What would happen if you fell to the dogs?" to which he answered if hes lucky enough (to fall to that pick). I think his main concern was wanting to stay in Melbourne no matter the melb based club that got him.

Not that it matters. He probably thought at the time Toumpass to GWS and Wines to Melbourne was a fait accompli.

Actually rewatching the draft at the moment weirdly, Jake is a beast!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back