Live Event 2012 NAB AFL Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Are they referring to Stringer here? He looks like a strong boy, but would you describe his as a monster forward?
Certainly monstered people in juniors. Very strong lad.

I spoke to a mate who supports essendon and he thinks Prismall is a superstar just unlucky with injuries.
Essendon supporter thinks (injury plagued) fringe Essendon player is a superstar. Surprise surprise :rolleyes:

Can't add much to what's been said here already, but thought I'd have my two bob's worth anyway..
- Stringer looks a real find, possibly the pick of the crop. On stage he certainly made the rest of the top 10 look like the kids they are and has a very positive attitude. I'd be happy if he played mainly forward at first while regaining full fitness. He could be a problem for defenders already doubling up on Cordy and Jones.
- Not sure about Macrae. He looks like he'd blow away in a strong breeze and needs to work on his kicking action(he has a few mates there). But he has some neat Pendlebury-like moves and if he was half that good we'd be on a winner. And Macartney must see something in him.
- Hrovat looks promising. He's about the same size as a Collingwood player I like, Jarryd Blair. (s**t, that's two Collingwood players I've praised.. oh well)
- Hunter also needs to improve his kicking (and bouncing) but at least we now have a few left footers (although Smith can't kick either). It's no coincidence that Hawthorn is stacked with left foot players.
- Prudden.. well, who knows.. but it sounds like he could be a fighter and looks a good shape.
So.. Toumpas would have been nice.. but we were never going to get everything we wanted, and what we've got should give everyone some confidence for next season.

What about Hunter's sidestep?? Kicks a goal for vic metro in that package and stepped around a guy like he was standing still. Won the agility test at the combine and has good gas off the mark. Love that he's a lefty too.

And yep, I know I get shouted down every time I say it, but I can see Stringer spending time playing out of the goal square throughout his career.

Geez watching the above vid - Hunter sure knows where the goals are.... Lovely thank u very much !:)

This is what B-Mac will be saying in the coaches box

release-the-hounds.jpg

I think Stringer is the next Mathew Pavlich, a guy that will dominate the forward line, but can also have a run in the midfield. Boy i can't wait to see how he goes!!! SO DAMN EXCITED!

Mccartneys strategy is so simple it's pure genius. In essence, every player in the afl needs to be a contested ball winner. Whether they play forward, mid or back, they will be involved in countless contests throughout the match. The more contests you win over the ground, the more likely you are to win.

So hrovat might play forward, Stevens might go back, stringer to the goal square. They may very rarely see centre bounce action, but they will all be involved in contest after contest in other parts of the ground.

McCartney is no fool. He hasn't selected all of these mids expecting half to play afl through the middle and the other half to play vfl in the midfield every weekend. The team will be littered with "mids", playing all over the ground........and they will win contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mccartneys strategy is so simple it's pure genius. In essence, every player in the afl needs to be a contested ball winner. Whether they play forward, mid or back, they will be involved in countless contests throughout the match. The more contests you win over the ground, the more likely you are to win.

So hrovat might play forward, Stevens might go back, stringer to the goal square. They may very rarely see centre bounce action, but they will all be involved in contest after contest in other parts of the ground.

McCartney is no fool. He hasn't selected all of these mids expecting half to play afl through the middle and the other half to play vfl in the midfield every weekend. The team will be littered with "mids", playing all over the ground........and they will win contests.
I hope this happens - but right now 75% of AFL scores come from turnovers

Not really. Contests are when the ball is in dispute. Ordinary foot skills cause turnovers, which is where most of the Bulldogs occur.
I would say that physical pressure is another major factor in causing turnovers. That, and foot skills would be the two.

Not really. Contests are when the ball is in dispute. Ordinary foot skills cause turnovers, which is where most of the Bulldogs occur.

Pretty rare for a turnover in the absence of a contest - without the contest you have circle work.

I would say that physical pressure is another major factor in causing turnovers. That, and foot skills would be the two.
Its fair to say our players will cause a lot of turnovers (both ways, by pressuring/tackling and by disposal too :p)

In finals the game is a giant contest. Watch the grand final. The team that was known for it's footskills lost to the team that was known for setting up the ground, defending, winning contests and working for eachother. You can improve kicking but i'm rapt to know our young list will always have a crack.

"We're very happy. We got the players we had targeted." - Recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple. How often can you say that?. He couldn't conceal his absolute delight at getting Hrovat.
I am going to really, really enjoy watching this team build and develop from the inside out. They are going to be ferocious:thumbsu:

"We're very happy. We got the players we had targeted." - Recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple. How often can you say that?. He couldn't conceal his absolute delight at getting Hrovat.
I am going to really, really enjoy watching this team build and develop from the inside out. They are going to be ferocious:thumbsu:
To be fair they all say we are really happy with our picks. Can you imagine a recruiter saying, "yeah we picked up Nathan, Josh, Jake, Lachie and Jack and they're all OK but we're not really happy with our lot"?

Dalrymple did seem pretty genuine about Hrovat though, didn't he?

Before the draft I was like yeah Stringer would be a good pickup but I'm not so fussed if we choose someone else. Now the draft has happened and "boy oh boy", it's been a long time since I've been so excited by a draft pick. I think there is a very real possibility we get the best player in the draft. He has this alpha dog style about his game I haven't seen on the dogs for a long time apart from the couple of years of Baz. And I also love his attitude - he seems like a no nonsense, down to earth guy. And the thing I love most about him - his size. 191cm and 94kg and can play in the midfield. Wow, I think we have a real beast on our hands. I'm now joining Igloo and many others on this board with the man-love for Stringer.

Also I was disappointed when we drafted Hrovat because I wanted other players and questioned drafting another small, not that fast, inside midfielder. But with a day to let it sink in, I think we might have another bigtime steal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back