2013 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

G'day Rahul,

What do you reckon the chances are of Dunstan or Dumont slipping through slipping through to the Hawks first pick at 24?
Dumont highly unlikely, Dunstan a chance. Out of Dumont, Cripps and Dunstan I reckon one will be available at the Hawks pick, but if I wouldn't keep my hopes up. I think Cripps would be a nice fit to add some height to the Hawks midfield, but with his height and weight at the Combine a club will look at him with a top 20 pick.

Dumont highly unlikely, Dunstan a chance. Out of Dumont, Cripps and Dunstan I reckon one will be available at the Hawks pick, but if I wouldn't keep my hopes up. I think Cripps would be a nice fit to add some height to the Hawks midfield, but with his height and weight at the Combine a club will look at him with a top 20 pick.
Rahul, in your updated OP, you have Luke Dunstan going at pick 18 & pick 21...

Did you mean to put Trent Dumont in there?

Edit: just realised you'd only updated the 1st round picks :thumbsu:

Rahul, in your updated OP, you have Luke Dunstan going at pick 18 & pick 21...

Did you mean to put Trent Dumont in there?

Edit: just realised you'd only updated the 1st round picks :thumbsu:
Yep, I am still copying my second round over and then need to do the 3rd round. For now, there will be double ups.

do me a favour and weave some magic to get Blake Acres to the Hawks :)

Rahul, great job. I don't see Dunstan that high, and I think the Saints would be happy to snag one of Taylor and Hartung along with Acres or Cripps. Pick 3 I see Aish or Billings but definitely Kelly if GWS do not pick him.

Rahul, great job. I don't see Dunstan that high, and I think the Saints would be happy to snag one of Taylor and Hartung along with Acres or Cripps. Pick 3 I see Aish or Billings but definitely Kelly if GWS do not pick him.

Cheers mate, appreciate it. Kelly is an interesting one, I had heard much of Scharenburg to GWS for a while, but I guess they couldn't turn Josh down after those combine results. Great to see the Saints going big with one of our later picks.

If you could shift Gardiner into our 1st pick I'd be laughing, can't imagine us passing up a key defender with Richards and LRT are coming towards the end of their careers. I'm still not sold on Grundy either

Is your 2nd round updated now?
Yep should be.

If you could shift Gardiner into our 1st pick I'd be laughing, can't imagine us passing up a key defender with Richards and LRT are coming towards the end of their careers. I'm still not sold on Grundy either
Fair enough, but I thought that Sam Reid would play that role for the Swans? Gardiner is one I see becoming more of a second tall, so I reckon the Swans would be better off looking for a KPP next year.

Yep should be.

Fair enough, but I thought that Sam Reid would play that role for the Swans? Gardiner is one I see becoming more of a second tall, so I reckon the Swans would be better off looking for a KPP next year.

Swans will go best available, as you have already mentioned Reid and LRT will be available to play back in 2014 if required

Swans will go best available, as you have already mentioned Reid and LRT will be available to play back in 2014 if required

fair enough. I'm wondering where's the depth is? what happens in 2 years time when Richards and LRT are passed it and Grundy has finally been found out? I think we need to plan now.

fair enough. I'm wondering where's the depth is? what happens in 2 years time when Richards and LRT are passed it and Grundy has finally been found out? I think we need to plan now.

Better key position players in next years draft, Grundy is fine, Johnson also to come back, plus when Buddy and Tippet will still be ruling our forward line in 2 years, no reason that Reid can't stay back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought so, thanks for the information. I think Crouch or Dumont would be great selections, but would the Swans go for a quicker, outside type?
Better key position players in next years draft, Grundy is fine, Johnson also to come back, plus when Buddy and Tippet will still be ruling our forward line in 2 years, no reason that Reid can't stay back

Agree on next year's draft, I see 4 of the top 5 being Victorian KPPs at the moment.

Rahul I was just wandering how Billings played when he was in the midfield was he winning contested ball? contested ball? was he still as effective and how do you think he will be able to transfer into the midfield at afl level?

Rahul I was just wandering how Billings played when he was in the midfield was he winning contested ball? contested ball? was he still as effective and how do you think he will be able to transfer into the midfield at afl level?

I didn't watch much APS footy this year, but from when I have been following it, he seems to win a small amount of contested footy. Nothing too significant, but he has shown ability. At TAC Cup level, he has played midfield but more as that first receiver. He has won contested footy and his ability to do so should improve with time and as he recovers from the knee injury he'll only get better. I think like Stevie J he'll be a forward, but eventually his skills will allow him to move into the midfield. We could really use his elite skills, especially around goal.

Rahul and other Saint fans, you seem to be all set on Billings at #3 but what do you make of Choco's opinion about Scharenberg being "the best schoolboy footballer since Carey" ?

Firstly, i realise Choco is far from your Coach yet, but he does seem to be favorite.

So let's just assume for a minute that he will coach you, do you think him and his mate Pelchen go with Berg seeing you can pick up probably 2 of Taylor/Acres/Dunstan/Dumont/Crouch/Hartung/Jones etc as mids at 18/19?

Rahul and other Saint fans, you seem to be all set on Billings at #3 but what do you make of Choco's opinion about Scharenberg being "the best schoolboy footballer since Carey" ?

Firstly, i realise Choco is far from your Coach yet, but he does seem to be favorite.

So let's just assume for a minute that he will coach you, do you think him and his mate Pelchen go with Berg seeing you can pick up probably 2 of Taylor/Acres/Dunstan/Dumont/Crouch/Hartung/Jones etc as mids at 18/19?

Apparently Watters overstepped his job description and wanted to choose pick three, that went well :eek. I doubt we'd go for Scharenburg and I seriously hope we don't, I rate him about 7 or 8 in this draft. I don't think we're all set on Billings, many of us (including me) would love to see Josh Kelly available at pick 3, but it doesn't look likely.

Apparently Watters overstepped his job description and wanted to choose pick three, that went well :eek. I doubt we'd go for Scharenburg and I seriously hope we don't, I rate him about 7 or 8 in this draft. I don't think we're all set on Billings, many of us (including me) would love to see Josh Kelly available at pick 3, but it doesn't look likely.

Yeah, i'm assuming Kelly goes at 2. Near certainty.

I think Choco and Pelchen will be a LOT more collaborative than Watters and Pelchen were. Seems pretty obvious that Dermott poisoned that well right from the start.

For all we know, Pelchen and Bains might really have Berg in the mix with Billings and Aish already. Choco's opinion might sway it.

From my way of thinking, if

A) someone of Choco's experience and know how rates Berg the best schoolboy footballer he's seen since Carey

and

B) Choco has a top relationship with Pelchen

and

C) StKilda can get 2 1st Round midfielders at 18/19

then i reckon Berg is a huge show at #3. It wouldn't be out of place at all. It is almost logical.

First of all, I rate Sharenberg highly and would have no issue if we selected him.

Everything I'm reading at the moment has us ranking it Kelly, Billings and then Aish, in that order. I think we're pretty sure GWS select Boyd and Kelly, hence we are being linked to Billings who we rank next. If Kelly were available we'd be over the moon and pick him ahead of anyone not named Tom Boyd.

Bains and Pelchen have publicly said on a number of occasions we will draft three mids so unless we see Sharenberg transitioning into a mid he won't be considered. Most see Billings as a midfielder so I suggest that's another reason we favour him.

Good point on Dermie, I didn't think of that. Now we know what Dermie thinks of Pelchen it's quite obvious he gave his good mate Watters the heads up on his opinion of him.

Yeah, i'm assuming Kelly goes at 2. Near certainty.

I think Choco and Pelchen will be a LOT more collaborative than Watters and Pelchen were. Seems pretty obvious that Dermott poisoned that well right from the start.

For all we know, Pelchen and Bains might really have Berg in the mix with Billings and Aish already. Choco's opinion might sway it.

From my way of thinking, if

A) someone of Choco's experience and know how rates Berg the best schoolboy footballer he's seen since Carey

and

B) Choco has a top relationship with Pelchen

and

C) StKilda can get 2 1st Round midfielders at 18/19

then i reckon Berg is a huge show at #3. It wouldn't be out of place at all. It is almost logical.

Agree that the Pelican/Choco duo should be much, much better. I think we should have a much clearer view on this closer to the draft, but I reckon we'll go for the player with the most potential and I see that being Billings. Scharenburg is one I see becoming an above average rebounding defender, but the Saints are already stacked in that position. If he can transition into the midfield, great. I just don't think he will in the AFL.

Hi Rahul,
Do you think Kelly and Aish are the absolute standout mids in the draft? I believe we need to go with an already established midfield star for our first pick rather then Billings who i believe will be a gun player but may never make it in the position we desperately need, so if that means taking a chance on someone like Sheed or Freeman at 3 I wouldn't be upset.

Great stuff Rahul,
A few things -

* Has Zac Jones really shot that high up in the draft pecking order? I think later as the year wore on we could see how damaging he can be as a mid, do you think clubs just ohhh s**t this kid not only is smart and tough off half back but he can turn games on ball?

* if 1 of Dunstan/Dumont or Cripps are avilable for Hawks surely they take one? My choice is Dunstan, on purely who is the best footballer at this stage who would you take?

* a draft slider seems to be Jason Cooke from Calder? A top 20 prospect at the start of 2013, can you elaborate what's happened?

* Sicily - love him mate, could be a bolter I think?

Rahul, do you think St Kilda will grant your wish of Dumont being a Saint?

Also, Tom Cutler seems to be the Aidan Corr like bolter.

Also, there seems to be something in recent years r.e. Hawthorn snagging someone from seemingly left field or just simply sweet timing.

2010, Isaac Smith.
2011, Brad Hill.
2012, Tim O'Brien.

Who will it be this year?

Maybe a Malcolm Karpany, Jarman Impey or a Nick Favretto.

Hi Rahul,
Do you think Kelly and Aish are the absolute standout mids in the draft? I believe we need to go with an already established midfield star for our first pick rather then Billings who i believe will be a gun player but may never make it in the position we desperately need, so if that means taking a chance on someone like Sheed or Freeman at 3 I wouldn't be upset.
No way will we do that, Billings and Aish are a class above and both have shown ability in the midfield.

Great stuff Rahul,
A few things -

* Has Zac Jones really shot that high up in the draft pecking order? I think later as the year wore on we could see how damaging he can be as a mid, do you think clubs just ohhh s**t this kid not only is smart and tough off half back but he can turn games on ball?
Yes. I would not have had him in the top 25-30 until the TAC Cup Finals, when he stood up and impacted the game in the midfield.
* if 1 of Dunstan/Dumont or Cripps are avilable for Hawks surely they take one? My choice is Dunstan, on purely who is the best footballer at this stage who would you take?
Dumont. He is a very solid player who is a bit bigger and has better ball winning ability in my opinion.
* a draft slider seems to be Jason Cooke from Calder? A top 20 prospect at the start of 2013, can you elaborate what's happened?

* Sicily - love him mate, could be a bolter I think?
Will get to the rest later when I'm on a computer mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back