2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

At this stage I rate Paddy McCartin as the best key forward. He has a decent build, is a strong contested mark and decent on the lead, and looks to have a very good footy brain. He has a strong presence and is a natural goal kicker and if he tidies up his set shot kicking he could be a focal point up forward. Hugh Goddard is a good athlete, but I am not sure if he will ever be a number one key forward and a focal point, but he definitely has the athletic and skill attributes that you look for in a tall player, I think he would make a great CHB.

Peter Wright is a huge kid and has a massive build. He will be an absolute monster, but the issue is where will he play. I think he is best as a ruckman who spends time forward and is decent round the ground. Durdin I prefer as a backman more so than a forward, but if he develops his forward game he could well be an option early on as a swingman.

I dont mind if a KPF is smaller as long as they have traits to over come it. Fev is one of the better modern day examples, can crumb his own goals and was great on the lead. Half our problem is still the delivery we give to our forwards, and I think Leppa's more controlled ball use style of play should help us with that long term. Hopefully all 3 options can improve this year and we end up with a decent option going forward.

With Freeman, Paine and another couple of options in the academy, surely just 1 of those guys will turn into a regular player, and a good partner for which ever top talent KPF we end up with. Only the start of the year, so hard to tell this far out, especially with no clear #1 this year.

The very fact that there are a number of these guys that will be available is reassuring for me. It means that we don't necessarily have to finish dead last to pick up a forward of decent quality.

Yep very much the case and if you are picking any of Wright, Durdin or McCartin (and maybe even Lamb) you have about an equal chance of ending up with the best player. Goddard is a bit behind the others but he has great physical attributes and is another that could shine given time.

The list needs analysis is going to be very different from the last few years. With so many youngsters hitting the list at the one time, we're probably not going to be in a position to really know what our long term list needs are. Even the key forward role that we are so desperate for could easily be filled from within if Close, Paine, Freeman and perhaps McStay really kick on with their development and our Academy players pop up.

Perhaps but it takes longer for KPs to develop and quality small / mediums are generally easier to find than talls. As it happens most of the quality are in the talls this year and even we just go best available chances are we will be going tall.

Perhaps but it takes longer for KPs to develop and quality small / mediums are generally easier to find than talls.

That's kind of my point. How can we assess our needs when so many of the options are still in the very early stages of their development? List analysis is difficult at the best of times. It is even more so when so many of the players on the list don't have a lot of exposed form.

It isn't impossible to do but it is just a lot different from our circumstances in previous years, where we've been able to really hone in on specific needs.

That's kind of my point. How can we assess our needs when so many of the options are still in the very early stages of their development? List analysis is difficult at the best of times. It is even more so when so many of the players on the list don't have a lot of exposed form.

It isn't impossible to do but it is just a lot different from our circumstances in previous years, where we've been able to really hone in on specific needs.
So finally, we might actually be seeing a draft year where the quoted, "best available" is actually the best available for us.

[I'm guessing it still won't stop the negative posts from angry soothsayers though... haha]

Ok so how does mcCArtin and wright compare to Boyd, daniher and Patton?

Even after the year of TAC Cup and national champs games they haven't played yet, it will be too soon to tell.

Wright is a super tall player who could be more of a ruckman than a pure forward.

McCartin isn't as much of a behemoth but is probably more of a pure forward. Has set shot issues. And diabetes.

Crunching a few numbers today and I can see us opening up around 8 spots on our senior list. I can't see any of these players as trade bait either.

Brown, McGrath, Goose, Raines, Polkinghorn, Martin, Weardo and Crisp are all either likely to retire or don't appear to figure in Leppas plans. Not to mention Lisle and possibly Bewick who really need to show they are up to AFL standard.

If we are forced to take Dawson and Hamerman (spelling) with our second and third picks and we don't have any 'homesick' players who might land us extra second or third round picks, I am a bit concerned about the quality of replacements.

How do we replace so many players? Keep players on the list who shouldn't be? Look for a couple of mature age gems? Upgrade some rookies? Draft kids with our 4th 5th and 6th round picks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 spots isn't a huge amount. We've smashed that before in previous trade weeks. Once you promote a rookie or two, pick up a mature depth player from another club... take 5 picks in the draft.

Crunching a few numbers today and I can see us opening up around 8 spots on our senior list. I can't see any of these players as trade bait either.

Brown, McGrath, Goose, Raines, Polkinghorn, Martin, Weardo and Crisp are all either likely to retire or don't appear to figure in Leppas plans. Not to mention Lisle and possibly Bewick who really need to show they are up to AFL standard.

If we are forced to take Dawson and Hamerman (spelling) with our second and third picks and we don't have any 'homesick' players who might land us extra second or third round picks, I am a bit concerned about the quality of replacements.

How do we replace so many players? Keep players on the list who shouldn't be? Look for a couple of mature age gems? Upgrade some rookies? Draft kids with our 4th 5th and 6th round picks?
Not to mention we could have two father and son pick ups late in the draft in Tyler Roos and Josh Clayton

G'day guys

Bit of talk on the Bombers board about Courtney Dempsey and his personal life that has derailed his football career a little.

(wife moved home to queensland with his kids and has expectedly taken a toll on him mentally)

With that in mind, could see a possible trade with Courtney's best interests at heart and get him home to Queensland.

Good luck guys, great win on the weekend.

Would explain a fair bit. Was watching the match on Friday, and he looked devoid of any confidence at all after he came on as the sub. Quite a change from his form over the past two years when he's been really important for Essendon off HB.

Reckon GC would be all over him, they've been trying to find another rebounding HB for a while.

Would explain a fair bit. Was watching the match on Friday, and he looked devoid of any confidence at all after he came on as the sub. Quite a change from his form over the past two years when he's been really important for Essendon off HB.

Reckon GC would be all over him, they've been trying to find another rebounding HB for a while.

Cairns boy, as are Harbrow & Dixon, so yeah.

If you add off field issues (which may or may not be resolvable be a move to Qld) with the fact that he's a bit brittle, you'd have to put him as a significant risk.

The reward is potentially there as I reckon he's worth a pick at about 20 purely on talent but the other stuff will make both Qld clubs a bit hesitant.

We could use someone like him though. A good age bracket for us too.

If you add off field issues (which may or may not be resolvable be a move to Qld) with the fact that he's a bit brittle, you'd have to put him as a significant risk.

The reward is potentially there as I reckon he's worth a pick at about 20 purely on talent but the other stuff will make both Qld clubs a bit hesitant.

We could use someone like him though. A good age bracket for us too.
This, but there are a lot of risks. So I would only use a Pick around 40ish on him, at best.

Can barely think of a more overrated player than Dempsey. Maybe I've missed his good games, but from what I've seen his "silky" skills result in turnovers and he squibs it far too often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back