2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Lions Fancast suggested that Bourke is just about a lock to be upgraded to the senior list; with pick #67 a "live" pick for a player.

Schwab said we'd likely run with 38 or 39 players next year with an option for more if they see fit.

Potentially a delisted free agent :footy:

Taylor Hunt is an interesting proposition; fairly young (24 next month).
To say I'm confused is an understatement. 67 on Bourke? Why not 81?

Edit: Just re-read it. Never mind.

Hawks rejected father/son Harry Dear. His father Paul, was a Norm Smith medallist. Worth more than a look at pick 67.

Paige Cardona's Phantom Draft v5.0
Pick 67: Brisbane – Teia Miles

Position: Small defender/midfielder
Height: 179c m, Weight: 70 kg, DOB:
Club: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: late-rookie
Plays like: Lachie Neale

A picture of consistency after two standout seasons at the Geelong Falcons where he averaged 20 disposals at TAC Cup level, Teia Miles more than held his own as a bottom-age prospect in 2013. However, he has since gone to a new level in 2014, getting a late call up to the National Combine. Miles – the son of Geoff Miles who played at Geelong, Collingwood and West Coast – is a tough yet super quick midfielder/defender, who is often found buried beneath packs, throwing himself at the football. He is quite a lateral footballer, preferring to dish off with quick hands to clear congestion, or opt to utilise a short pass by foot to hold up possession. He doesn’t blaze away like other inside midfielders, instead having composure and opting to square the ball up rather than blindly pushing the ball forward. Miles averaged 15 disposals from his five games for Vic Country, including an average of four marks, two tackles, and two clearances at a terrific 83.6 per cent disposal efficiency.

Nightmare's latest draft:

#67 Brisbane (via Collingwood) –
Jason Castagna (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 12/06/1996
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Range: 35-rookie
Profile: Lightning running defender.

so guys have we missed the boat with Matt Hammelmen ??? is he likely to get to our pick or rookie spot or is he a casualty of drafting in the stars and will go before we get dibs

so guys have we missed the boat with Matt Hammelmen ??? is he likely to get to our pick or rookie spot or is he a casualty of drafting in the stars and will go before we get dibs
Can you guys explain why you didn't nominate Hammelman who looks a very good player. Was it because you knew you would need your higher picks to get Beams across the line and couldn't afford to use them to secure Hammelman pre trade week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you guys explain why you didn't nominate Hammelman who looks a very good player. Was it because you knew you would need your higher picks to get Beams across the line and couldn't afford to use them to secure Hammelman pre trade week?

I suspect it's likely because we didn't rate him high enough to put in a bid for him in the ND. Looks like he'll join the growing list of Academy prospects that tend to be overrated overall on BF (by Lions and non-Lions supporters).

The questions with him seem to be around his aggression at the contest, and his kicking needs some work.

We seemed to fight pretty hard to get pick 67 back in the trade wonder if there is a late round smokey (ala Justin Clark) that we have our eye.

FYI I know that we picked up JC in the rookie draft but we seemed to have pretty good intel that the only other club interested in him was the Crows - who picked after us.

More for the draft watchers i.e. Quigley and cotter101, in your opinion, would a guy like Darcy Tucker (bottom age defender that made the u/18 AA team and part of the AIS/AFL academy) be eligible and / or a chance at pick 67 or good enough to be drafted?

Had heard a couple of good things about the kid so went looking for more info and found this article.

More for the draft watchers i.e. Quigley and cotter101, in your opinion, would a guy like Darcy Tucker (bottom age defender that made the u/18 AA team and part of the AIS/AFL academy) be eligible and / or a chance at pick 67 or good enough to be drafted?

Had heard a couple of good things about the kid so went looking for more info and found this article.

Next years cohort I believe.

The reality is we don't know and I haven't seen a post on here from someone quoting an 'inside source' on this issue that's gives me comfort either way.

Could be we didn't want to use too high a pick in the draft (as you suggest) although it seems the conclusion of most on our board is we didn't rate him enough to pick him.

Fwiw knightmare responded to a question about this by saying Hammelman as a lead up forward without much physicality in his game might be viewed as a one trick pony where as Andrews who we did nominate and ultimately select has shown he can play as a forward, defender and a bit in the ruck too.

As mentioned by another poster he is in next years draft crop. Although there was earlier some confusion as to whether or not he was in fact eligible for this years draft.

At this stage, his top 20 for mine. Probably top 10. Versatile and has as much composure as anyone. Made the u18 AA team as a defender but has shown some pretty good signs as a midfielder and hopefully continues to do so.

The reality is we don't know and I haven't seen a post on here from someone quoting an 'inside source' on this issue that's gives me comfort either way.

Could be we didn't want to use too high a pick in the draft (as you suggest) although it seems the conclusion of most on our board is we didn't rate him enough to pick him.

Fwiw knightmare responded to a question about this by saying Hammelman as a lead up forward without much physicality in his game might be viewed as a one trick pony where as Andrews who we did nominate and ultimately select has shown he can play as a forward, defender and a bit in the ruck too.

I have not personally heard anything about the club not rating him. But I know a few scouts who don't rate him that highly. And personally never rated him highly myself.

Kicking and aggression are two of his main flaws.

Nightmare's latest draft:

#67 Brisbane (via Collingwood) –
Jason Castagna (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 12/06/1996
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Range: 35-rookie
Profile: Lightning running defender.
Reminds me of gym teacher Mr Heyman.

"Hey Can't-stand-ya!! Can't-stand-ya!!"

Geez I clicked in here and my computer just started playing 'crickets' sounds...

So do any of the talent watchers have anyone in mind that we should be looking at for our fourth round live pick?

What should we target? Running defender? Tall forward? Mature aged?

From paige and Knightmares phantom draft, just watched some of Castagnas highlights and he has some toe. Only going off what I saw, he turns it over a bit and his decision making needs some work. Seems decent overhead.
On the other hand, Miles looks very composed. Tends to chip it around rather than bomb it out of defence. Not as quick as Castagna but not slow all the same. Again only going off brief highlights.
Are there any other players of similar position that would be better than either of these 2 at pick 67.
I agree we need a small defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back