2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok Tonights stupid question, brought to you by Flossie32 - <clears throat> "Just looking at the Bound For Glory Phantom Draft tonight and notice that the Brisbane Lions are pick 65 - and incidentally we picked up Josh McGuinness from Lauderdale - Ol Floss here thought we were pick 67, did the BFG guys stuff up or did we some how drop 2 picks?".
See above

I have a feeling it might be a 'mature' player that has performed well in the state leagues. Any decent KPD/KPF in the state leagues that are young enough and deserve a shot?

Tall towards Theres Brett Eddy 25 from South Adelaide kicked 67 goals this year. Another one is Ricky Vary 23 from Swan Districts kicked 49 goal this season. One more KPF is Cameron Loersch from South Fremantle his was first a ruckman move foward this season playing full foward and center half foward kicked 57 goals.

KPD one to look at is Michael Hartley 21 was once on the Pies list think he should get another chance reckon overager Hugh Beasley would be a good Patfull replacement play well on the top KPF of this year's draft.

Last edited:
Ok Tonights stupid question, brought to you by Flossie32 - <clears throat> "Just looking at the Bound For Glory Phantom Draft tonight and notice that the Brisbane Lions are pick 65 - and incidentally we picked up Josh McGuinness from Lauderdale - Ol Floss here thought we were pick 67, did the BFG guys stuff up or did we some how drop 2 picks?".

No - a couple teams with picks above us won't be using thee, so we move up 2 spots. Its probably GWS and GCS not needing to go past pick 65 as they trade in lower picks for their surplus young players

Tall towards Theres Brett Eddy 25 from South Adelaide kicked 67 goals this year. Another one is Ricky Vary 23 from Swan Districts kicked 49 goal this season. One more KPF is Cameron Loersch from South Fremantle his was first a ruckman move foward this season playing full foward and center half foward kicked 57 goals.

KPD one to look at is Michael Hartley 21 was once on the Pies list think he should get another chance reckon overager Hugh Beasley would be a good Patfull replacement play well on the top KPF of this year's draft.
Cheers for the information mate. I have heard Michael Hartleys name pop up but don't know much about him. Seemed to be an athletic tall CHB but couldn't get it on the track with constant injuries. I think he could be a great risk-reward type pick at 65 and I could see our recruiters taking him after we have dominated the trade and drafting of the past year.

57th live pick now :thumbsu:

Now which of Shifter Sheehan's Top 40 (new format, based on senior AFL AA team :confused:) will drop to #65?

RUCKS
Peter Wright (203cm, 100kg) - CALDER CANNONS
Marc Pittonet (201cm, 105kg) - OAKLEIGH CHARGERS

TALL FORWADS (190cm+)
Paddy McCartin (193cm, 95kg) - GEELONG FALCONS
Darcy Moore (198cm, 91kg) - OAKLEIGH CHARGERS
Dan Howe (192cm, 85kg) - MURRAY BUSHRANGERS
Hugh Goddard (196cm, 94kg) - GEELONG FALCONS
Reece McKenzie (197cm, 107kg) - NORTHERN KNIGHTS
Kyle Langford (190cm, 76kg) - NORTHERN KNIGHTSDEFENDERS (190cm+)
Caleb Marchbank (191cm, 88kg) - EASTERN RANGES
Ed Vickers-Willis (190cm, 82kg) - SANDINGHAM DRAGONS
Sam Durdin (197cm, 87kg) - WEST ADELAIDE
Jake Lever (193cm, 84kg) - CALDER CANNONS
Oscar McDonald (197cm, 93kg) - NORTH BALLARAT REBELS
Zaine Cordy (191cm, 83kg) - GEELONG FALCONS

MEDIUM DEFENDERS (180-189cm)
Harrison Wigg (178cm, 74kg) - NORTH ADELAIDE
Clem Smith (177cm, 78kg) - PERTH
Liam Duggan (184cm, 75kg) - WESTERN JETS
Brayden Maynard (186cm, 87kg) - SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS
Connor Menadue (187cm, 69kg) - WESTERN JETS

MEDIUM TALL/MIDFIELDERS (180cm+)
Christian Petracca (186cm, 94kg) - EASTERN RANGES
Angus Brayshaw (186cm, 90kg) - SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS
Jayden Laverde (189cm, 80kg) - WESTERN JETS
Lachie Weller (181cm, 76kg) - BROADBEACH
Paul Ahern (181cm, 82kg) - CALDER CANNONS
Isaac Heeney (186cm, 84kg) - SWANS ACADEMY
Nakia Cockatoo (186cm, 86kg) - NT THUNDER
Corey Ellis (184cm, 74cm) - WESTERN JETS
Alex Neal-Bullen (181cm, 76kg) - GLENELG
Billy Stretch (180cm, 70kg) - GLENELG
Connor Blakely (188cm, 84kg) - SWAN DISTRICTS
Jordan Cunico (184cm, 73kg) - GIPPSLAND POWER
Jack Hiscox (185cm, 75kg) - SYDNEY UNIVERSITY
Jordan DeGoey (187cm, 84kg) - OAKLEIGH CHARGERS
Tom Lamb (193cm, 83kg) - DANDENONG STINGRAYS
Daniel McKenzie (184cm, 78kg) - OAKLEIGH CHARGERS

MEDIUM FORWARDS (180cm+)
Toby McLean (180cm, 72kg) - OAKLEIGH CHARGERS
Jack Steele (188cm, 85kg) - BELCONNON

SMALL/MID FORWARDS (>180cm)
Jarrod Pickett (177cm, 75kg) - SOUTH FREMANTLE
Touk Miller (178cm, 82kg) - CALDER CANNONS
Jarrod Garlett (180cm, 68kg) - SOUTH FREMANTLE

Small defender with dash and excellent kicking please.

Not bothered by their defensive ability - happy for the club teach them that.

His disposal is his downfall, but expect that around the pick 60-70 mark.

BRISBANE LIONS
Picks:
44 (Liam Dawson academy selection), 61 (Harris Andrews academy selection), 65, 73, 81, 86 (Josh Clayton father-son selection)
There will be some talent around at the Lions' first two live selections - No.65 and 73. At 65, the Lions could look to add another running tall defender in Tasmanian Josh McGuinness. At 189cm, he collects plenty of disposals and uses them well. Speedy midfielder Jaden McGrath will be considered should he get through after an injury-interrupted season, as with hard-running midfielder Teia Miles. Academy player Matt Hammelmann is more likely as a rookie than national draftee for the Lions, given they have first access to him then. They are unlikely to use pick 81, but will decide on draft night.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-25/the-phantom-draft

Twomey has us taking two picks which is interesting.

Those wanting a defender with dash and good disposal would like the look of McGuinness in those highlights. Even though he is 189cm, seems to have excellent mobility.
I'd love for us to draft him. McGuinnes at 65 and McGrath or Bampton if available at 73 would be my wishlist.

i would like for us to maybe have a look at panos or glenn as one of the picks, and definelty take a state league defender in the rookie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After securing Beams, Christensen, Dawson and Andrews with what would have been our draft picks (losing only Patfull); it's a free hit @ pick #65 for Conole an Co. - the pressure is off; I think they'll pick a dead-set roughy that no one has mentioned, but has one excellent AFL standard trait :footy:

Personally, hoping Jaden McGrath slips to our first live pick :cool:

Interesting to see a lot of posters want a rebounding defender with pick 65. I would have thought that was a relative strength on our list with Hanley, Rich, Beams, Adcock, Harwood, Cutler, McStay, Golby, Mayes and Bewick all having the potential to play that role. IMO our most urgent need is a KPD with only Clarke and an undersized Gardiner (who I see as a 3rd tall in the mold of Patfull) likely to be the ones left to play in two years. Won't get a star at pick 65 but one that might be a good pickup is Hartley the ex-Magpies player. Having had a great two years of drafting and trading I can see them taking a punt on someone like him.

Clarke, Gardiner, McStay, Bourke, Andrews are a pretty solid young group and I would not think KPD is an immediate position of need. That is more the case if Close ends up back there which I think is a definate chance. I am not sold on him being a goal scoring threat and his running ability could be pretty handy at CHB. Also its easy enough to pick up an experienced cover player in a year or two when Maguire and Merrett retire.

Still I do agree that Hartley is a decent prospect. I liked him a lot as a junior and he had a good year this year.

I really like the flexibility we have with some of our KPP. McStay and Andrews can play at either end, Close according to some may eventually end up as a defender. Gives us plenty of options moving forward which is great. I don't think we have a glaring need for any particular type of player with our draft pick/picks, best available might be how the recruiters go.

Not sold on McStay being a KPD. He offers so much more than to just follow someone else around with his athleticism and skills some of his strengths. Could see him being the third tall that occasionally rotates through the midfield/wings who pushes forward and becomes a scoring threat. His handballing is very good already from what I have seen and is probably one of the best at the Lions so he has some potential to be an extractor if the coaches decide to make him into a fully fledged utility.

I tend to agree SM but I do think if it were Clarke, Gardiner and McStay back there they might swap opponents around a bit if things were not going to plan. Gardiner is actually pretty good going forward as well when he concentrates on that and if he were freed up from a match up he could go alright. McStay is decent defensively as well when he has to be.

I'm actually fairly excited for the draft for some reason. Lions have come out and said they won't be using the second live pick unless there is someone who had slipped down the order or something along those lines. If we do end up using pick 75 then you know the kid will be a good prospect based off our recent drafting successes. I have a feeling it will be someone left field like a Clarke type selection if we do select a player. A hidden gem plucked from the bush.

Last edited:
I'm actually fairly excited for the draft for some reason. Lions have come out and said they won't be using the second live pick unless there is someone who had slipped down the order or something along those lines. If we do end up using pick 81 then you know the kid will be a good prospect based off our recent drafting successes. I have a feeling it will be someone left field like a Clarke type selection if we do select a player. A hidden gem plucked from the bush.
I was under the impression that we are using 65 and 73 and will wait to see who we can take at 81.

Hard to not get just a little bit excited about Keays next year. Had the highest scoring fantasy average at the Champs, not bad for a 17 year old.

Top 10 Fantasy Scorers (Average) - 2014 Under-18 Championships

1. Ben Keays (Qld): 110 points/game

2. Tim Jones (Tas): 106 points/game
3. Christian Petracca (Vic Metro): 99 points/game
4. Abraham Ankers (NT): 98 points/game
=5. Caleb Daniel (SA): 93 points/game
=5. Erin Wasley-Black (NT): 93 points/game
7. Isaac Heeney (NSW/ACT): 92 points/game
8. Damien Cavka (Vic Metro): 90 points/game
9. Josh McGuinness (Tas): 89 points/game

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-26/petracca-the-fantasy-fancy

Remove this Banner Ad