List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance Langford could slip to the Dogs? Is he what we're looking for?

I haven't paid much attention to him because it seemed an impossibility him getting to 26, but just in the last couple of days Jay Clark has indicated there is a very minor chance of him slipping to us (and would be our dream result) and Twoomey had him falling to pick 23 or something in his PD. From what I'm hearing Pies, Gold Coast and Crows love him but will all be faced with difficult decisions, as there will obviously be other great quality at their selections, but a lot of clubs don't rate him at all. Hence him maybe falling to our pick if they pass.

Final BO Phantom Draft
View attachment 94302
For me I'd have something like this at the moment

26 - Edward Vickers-Willis (190cm def/mid)
27 - Connor Menadue (188cm mid)
39 - Toby McLean (180cm mid/fwd)
45 - Billy Evans (189cm mid)
46 - Daniel Nielson (193cm KPD)
62 - Zaine Cordy (192cm def)

Rookies - Brenton Payne, Adam Marcon, Joe Maishman, Daniel Pearce

Looking more and more likely that the Saints will take McCartin. Melbourne clean up with Brayshaw and Petracca. Building a very nice midfield now.

Looking more and more likely that the Saints will take McCartin. Melbourne clean up with Brayshaw and Petracca. Building a very nice midfield now.

I think they have to.

Riewoldt is done in a year or two...they have little else in terms of KPF talent there and on that basis have to go with the riskier option.

Can pick up good mids all thru the draft.

It's the way I'd go, too.

I think they have to.

Riewoldt is done in a year or two...they have little else in terms of KPF talent there and on that basis have to go with the riskier option.

My thinking is that Jack Steven may actually leave this year. He's a RFA if i recall correctly. Taking the best midfielder who's ready to go round one and building their midfield may encourage Steven to hang around and they can build a makeshift forwardline (like we have since the dawn of time) until next draft where they'll get an early pick theoretically.

Viney, Toumpas, Jones, Tyson, Cross, Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem, Vince And add more in the draft.
Very good midfield in a few years

I think they have to.

If they get McCartin and McKenzie and they both turn into good players they will be laughing.

Final BO Phantom Draft
View attachment 94302
I like Nathan's, imo that covers our needs.
For me I'd have something like this at the moment

26 - Edward Vickers-Willis (190cm def/mid)
27 - Connor Menadue (188cm mid)
39 - Toby McLean (180cm mid/fwd)
45 - Billy Evans (189cm mid)
46 - Daniel Nielson (193cm KPD)
62 - Zaine Cordy (192cm def)

Rookies - Brenton Payne, Adam Marcon, Joe Maishman, Daniel Pearce
Key forward over Nielson please

Baring in mind that St.Kilda will take McCartin at pick 1, they won't be selecting another Key-Forward with picks 21 or 22.

They need pace in their side just as much as we do; don't be surprised if they select Menadue with one of those picks.

I think they have to.

Structurally it makes sense and I hope they go that way, it will see sliders happening and St Kilda might not take McKenzie later on, hoping he slips to our 2nd rounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baring in mind St.Kilda will take McCartin at pick 1, they won't be selecting another Key-Forward with picks 21 or 22.

They need pace in their side just as much as we do; don't be surprised if they select Menadue with one of those picks.
Lamb, Menadue, Weller etc you'd think whoever is available there for them.

There's no key forward of relevance there unless we pick Payne and are prepared for him to develop for a year or so. Look at next years draft for KPF we should be able to get one of the top range guys.
McKenzie or Keitel I'm fine with. Keitel could develop into a proper accommodating 2nd forward to help Boyd. He is 194-195cm which is bigger than Stringer and Crameri.

Yes we need more midfield depth but a key forward should not be overlooked for a key defender, particularly when Redpath probably won't make it and we are expected to challenge in 4-5 years time, we need someone else ready by then.

A question to those in the know, what are the knocks on Keitel that have him a 30 - 50 prospect?

Payne is the most likely out of the KPF's this year for us to pick. He is a bit like Gunston in the way he plays and is in the right height range (194cm) he just needs to put on some serious weight. Way more natural than Kietel up forward and a better fit than McKenzie.
McKenzie or Keitel I'm fine with. Keitel could develop into a proper accommodating 2nd forward to help Boyd. He is 194-195cm which is bigger than Stringer and Crameri.

Yes we need more midfield depth but a key forward should not be overlooked for a key defender, particularly when Redpath probably won't make it and we are expected to challenge in 4-5 years time, we need someone else ready by then.

Payne is the most likely out of the KPF's this year for us to pick. He is a bit like Gunston in the way he plays and is in the right height range (194cm) he just needs to put on some serious weight. Way more natural than Kietel up forward and a better fit than McKenzie.
We've already got Stringer and Crameri though who have had to play out of their height/weight division who are similar types of forward to Gunston, Gunston is a true 3rd type as Hawthorn generally have a resting ruck helping take the load off Roughy. Stringer perhaps could handle bigger bodies if he bulked up but then he'd lose his agility/acceleration which are key areas of his game. If Payne is a lightweight then what's the point when we are already stocked with similar types?

A question to those in the know, what are the knocks on Keitel that have him a 30 - 50 prospect?
He's not performed better than McCartin as a key forward and isn't as big as R McKenzie. There's a bunch of good mids and talls with exposure in Vic and SA in front of him. He's spent time forward and back. The deduction from these players and his need to bulk up is that the late 30's to 50 range is about fair.

No real knocks on him that i can see.

Any chance Langford could slip to the Dogs? Is he what we're looking for?

I haven't paid much attention to him because it seemed an impossibility him getting to 26, but just in the last couple of days Jay Clark has indicated there is a very minor chance of him slipping to us (and would be our dream result) and Twoomey had him falling to pick 23 or something in his PD. From what I'm hearing Pies, Gold Coast and Crows love him but will all be faced with difficult decisions, as there will obviously be other great quality at their selections, but a lot of clubs don't rate him at all. Hence him maybe falling to our pick if they pass.

He can't drop to us surely......I can hear you saying stop calling me Surely. That aside I would love to get this kid. I was hoping we'd get him or Laverde with pick 6 if the likes of Wright or McCartin had gone.

Pies wanted Bont badly last year they were gagging for a big mid. Nothing has changed as far as I can tell. Laverde another option possibly is more half back and anyway I reckon GWS will swoop on him at 4. Lamb maybe too risky at 5. Pies will then take Langford I reckon at 5.

If he's there by some miracle I would take him.....the dream would be him and Menadue.

Why would Jack Steven leave? Just curious.

He
Baring in mind that St.Kilda will take McCartin at pick 1, they won't be selecting another Key-Forward with picks 21 or 22.

Aren't Saints short a key defender also? At least a viable one going forward. (Josh Bruce and Delaney didn't exactly work out for them last year, may still make it but on exposed form...)

He's not performed better than McCartin as a key forward and isn't as big as R McKenzie. There's a bunch of good mids and talls with exposure in Vic and SA in front of him. He's spent time forward and back. The deduction from these players and his need to bulk up is that the late 30's to 50 range is about fair.

No real knocks on him that i can see.

I don't know why he's rated so low. I did see a phantom earlier today that had him taken by Essendon I think. He might be one of those ones that has slipped from the media radar but not the clubs.

Surprised there isn't a bit more love for Cunico on here, seems a very similar type to Menadue that we all love. What don't people like about him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back