2014 Mature Aged Players

Remove this Banner Ad

While I'm here, I might run through a few other guys from around the traps who have impressed me.

Ben Duscher (Essendon VFL), 186cm, 90kg, 27 y.o, midfielder/forward
I think his time has 'past' but I would love to see him do a Sam Dwyer and get picked up later than we all thought. Kicks well off both feet, uses it smartly by hand, never gives in and can go forward and kick a goal. The VFL Bombers captain has been a standout for some time now.

Aaron Heppel (Essendon VFL), 181cm, 78kg, 19 y.o, defender
May have been a midfielder at TAC Cup level but the younger Heppel has found a niche in defence with his tenacity and willingness in the contest. May not have as many weapons like Dyson but Aaron has that determination to be a handy player at VFL level.

Sam Tagliabue (Essendon VFL), 206cm, 101kg, 23 y.o, ruckmen
Old school Mark Blake type ruck men. 'Tags' as he is affectionately known as works hard around the ground and is showing some rapid signs of improvement since moving down from NSW/Sydney University 2 years ago. With a year out of the game in 2013 (ACL injury), the VFL Bombers are pleased with his improvement and development in 2014. One to watch !

Alistair Kefferd (Essendon VFL), 194cm, 95kg, 22 y.o, forward
This strong marking Aberfeldian has come in and been somewhat of a revelation for the VFL Bombers. He doesn't get a great deal of it (ave. 8.3 possessions per game) but he is a good finisher (12.4 to date) and a strong marker (2 contested marks per game).

Matt Farrelly (Bendigo Gold), 185cm, 74kg, 21 y.o, defender/utility
Utility type who has pace and is strong in the contest. Strong over head and defensively sound. Jason Winderlich gave him such high praise after a game last year saying "he is good enough to play AFL".

Sam Heavyside (Bendigo Gold), 173cm, 77kg, 19y.o, midfielder
Strong bodied inside midfielder who excels around the stoppages. In the game against my VFL Bombers, he was one who could hold his head high after working tiresly all day. Loves to tackle (ave. 6.5 tackles per game) and gets enough of the ball (16.5 possessions per game) to get a crack at the next level IMO. Another to keep a real eye on.

Dave Mirra (Box Hill Hawks), 186cm, 90kg, 23 y.o, defender
We all know about Mirra and his exceptional foot skills. Real leader who has grown into the role of skipper for the Box Hill Hawks.

Tim Smith (Casey Scorpions), 192cm, 88kg, 23 y.o, forward
Strong marking lead up forward who has kicked 11 goals from 7 games including a bag of 5. A strong marker (av 2.7 contested marks per game) who uses his body well in the contest. He links up well and could be a real smokey come draft time should he keep producing. He hasn't come through the normal ranks but is plying his trade in the VFL for the first time.

Lech Featherstone (Coburg), 193cm, 96kg, 25 y.o, forward
One of the leading goal kickers in the VFL this year. His combination of strong marking and smart leading ensure's his positive start to the year hasn't gone unnoticed with selection in the VFL State Squad to take on the SANFL later this month.

Shannon Taylor (Frankston Dolphins), 178cm, 76kg, 21 y.o, midfielder
In the words of Dolphins coach Simon Goosey "he's a monty to get drafted". Goosey is already planning life without his star youngster next year such is the class he has already shown. Smooth mover who was on the radar a couple of years ago but has turned his life around and now firmly on the radar again.

Ben Cavarra (Frankston Dolphins), 175cm, 72kg, 20 y.o, midfielder
Who cares if he's small, the kid can play. Has a bigger CV than some more highly fancied TAC Cup draftees but this small man was overlooked. Has gone to the stand alone Dolphins this year and has done everything right since. Averaging 20 possessions a game and (almost) 3 tackles per game. Did I mention he's snuck forward for 4 goals as well?

Shane Hockey (Frankston Dolphins), 177cm, 81kg, 26 y.o, midfielder
Star midfielder for the Dolphins. Has not gone below (largely contested) 20 possessions for the season. In his prime, Hockey can do it all.

Nicholas Newman (Frankston Dolphins), 187cm, 83kg, 21 y.o, utility
Utility who has played a bit of everywhere. Can link up well and uses it well by both hand and foot. Averaging 21 possessions a game and 7 marks a game. Will most likely finish as a wingman but he has shown some really strong signs in his first true season as a senior VFL footballer.

Ill do some more tomorrow but here are some names to keep an eye on for now.

Have seen Yarran play a couple of times this year. Was very impressive in a game out at Lathlain great marking ability and as well as a few goals himself was involved in a few goalscoring passages. First season in the WAFL and recruited from Mandurah or something I believe. Tried to find more info on him at the time but had no luck.

Footy at the 2nd tier was on display with the WAFL & the NEAFL selecting their best available - was it a showcase of mature age players, or an opportunity to strut their stuff for those who failed the test at AFL level:
Ashton Hams leads WAFL to 85-point win over NEAFL in state game
It was the first time that the WAFL representative side has taken on a team from the North East Australian Football League, and the WA team dominated after the NEAFL kicked the first two goals to end up winning 19.18 (132) to 6.11 (47).
The NEAFL team was a combined team made up of players from clubs in NSW, the ACT, Queensland and Northern Territory, and had former AFL-listed players including Eddie Sansbury, Cameron Ilett and Will Sierakowski, and former WAFL players Jacob Derickx and Ryan Brabazon.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...fl-in-state-game/story-fniv6150-1226930263726

Footy at the 2nd tier was on display with the WAFL & the NEAFL selecting their best available - was it a showcase of mature age players, or an opportunity to strut their stuff for those who failed the test at AFL level:
It was the first time that the WAFL representative side has taken on a team from the North East Australian Football League, and the WA team dominated after the NEAFL kicked the first two goals to end up winning 19.18 (132) to 6.11 (47).
The NEAFL team was a combined team made up of players from clubs in NSW, the ACT, Queensland and Northern Territory, and had former AFL-listed players including Eddie Sansbury, Cameron Ilett and Will Sierakowski, and former WAFL players Jacob Derickx and Ryan Brabazon.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...fl-in-state-game/story-fniv6150-1226930263726

I don't remember Cameron Ilett on an AFL list.

Next year they need to let the AFL-listed NEAFL players in to make it at least half a contest. The clubs would also benefit from seeing their players against stronger opposition.

Next year they need to let the AFL-listed NEAFL players in to make it at least half a contest. The clubs would also benefit from seeing their players against stronger opposition.

You could do what they do with inter league and rank each league with 1 v 2, then 3 v 4 and so forth with the winner moving up a spot on the rankings.

reckon Hams would get exposed defensively if he was to play that role at AFL level though.

George Hampson and Haiden Schlothie imo are more viable options

Two boys I'm a big advocate of. Think Schloithe was unlucky to be delisted but has taken his game to another level this year.

While I'm here, I might run through a few other guys from around the traps who have impressed me.

Ben Duscher (Essendon VFL), 186cm, 90kg, 27 y.o, midfielder/forward
I think his time has 'past' but I would love to see him do a Sam Dwyer and get picked up later than we all thought. Kicks well off both feet, uses it smartly by hand, never gives in and can go forward and kick a goal. The VFL Bombers captain has been a standout for some time now.

Aaron Heppel (Essendon VFL), 181cm, 78kg, 19 y.o, defender
May have been a midfielder at TAC Cup level but the younger Heppel has found a niche in defence with his tenacity and willingness in the contest. May not have as many weapons like Dyson but Aaron has that determination to be a handy player at VFL level.

Sam Tagliabue (Essendon VFL), 206cm, 101kg, 23 y.o, ruckmen
Old school Mark Blake type ruck men. 'Tags' as he is affectionately known as works hard around the ground and is showing some rapid signs of improvement since moving down from NSW/Sydney University 2 years ago. With a year out of the game in 2013 (ACL injury), the VFL Bombers are pleased with his improvement and development in 2014. One to watch !

Alistair Kefferd (Essendon VFL), 194cm, 95kg, 22 y.o, forward
This strong marking Aberfeldian has come in and been somewhat of a revelation for the VFL Bombers. He doesn't get a great deal of it (ave. 8.3 possessions per game) but he is a good finisher (12.4 to date) and a strong marker (2 contested marks per game).

Matt Farrelly (Bendigo Gold), 185cm, 74kg, 21 y.o, defender/utility
Utility type who has pace and is strong in the contest. Strong over head and defensively sound. Jason Winderlich gave him such high praise after a game last year saying "he is good enough to play AFL".

Sam Heavyside (Bendigo Gold), 173cm, 77kg, 19y.o, midfielder
Strong bodied inside midfielder who excels around the stoppages. In the game against my VFL Bombers, he was one who could hold his head high after working tiresly all day. Loves to tackle (ave. 6.5 tackles per game) and gets enough of the ball (16.5 possessions per game) to get a crack at the next level IMO. Another to keep a real eye on.

Dave Mirra (Box Hill Hawks), 186cm, 90kg, 23 y.o, defender
We all know about Mirra and his exceptional foot skills. Real leader who has grown into the role of skipper for the Box Hill Hawks.

Tim Smith (Casey Scorpions), 192cm, 88kg, 23 y.o, forward
Strong marking lead up forward who has kicked 11 goals from 7 games including a bag of 5. A strong marker (av 2.7 contested marks per game) who uses his body well in the contest. He links up well and could be a real smokey come draft time should he keep producing. He hasn't come through the normal ranks but is plying his trade in the VFL for the first time.

Lech Featherstone (Coburg), 193cm, 96kg, 25 y.o, forward
One of the leading goal kickers in the VFL this year. His combination of strong marking and smart leading ensure's his positive start to the year hasn't gone unnoticed with selection in the VFL State Squad to take on the SANFL later this month.

Shannon Taylor (Frankston Dolphins), 178cm, 76kg, 21 y.o, midfielder
In the words of Dolphins coach Simon Goosey "he's a monty to get drafted". Goosey is already planning life without his star youngster next year such is the class he has already shown. Smooth mover who was on the radar a couple of years ago but has turned his life around and now firmly on the radar again.

Ben Cavarra (Frankston Dolphins), 175cm, 72kg, 20 y.o, midfielder
Who cares if he's small, the kid can play. Has a bigger CV than some more highly fancied TAC Cup draftees but this small man was overlooked. Has gone to the stand alone Dolphins this year and has done everything right since. Averaging 20 possessions a game and (almost) 3 tackles per game. Did I mention he's snuck forward for 4 goals as well?

Shane Hockey (Frankston Dolphins), 177cm, 81kg, 26 y.o, midfielder
Star midfielder for the Dolphins. Has not gone below (largely contested) 20 possessions for the season. In his prime, Hockey can do it all.

Nicholas Newman (Frankston Dolphins), 187cm, 83kg, 21 y.o, utility
Utility who has played a bit of everywhere. Can link up well and uses it well by both hand and foot. Averaging 21 possessions a game and 7 marks a game. Will most likely finish as a wingman but he has shown some really strong signs in his first true season as a senior VFL footballer.

Ill do some more tomorrow but here are some names to keep an eye on for now.
What are your thoughts on Shannon Taylor? I remember watching him play Colts footy in WA and he was a gun of a player on his day but then seemed to be a bit lazy. I know he became a Father at a very early age as well which may have had something to do with him not being drafted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's obviously hit and miss with these guys, we drafted 2 of the very best VFL players in Dwyer and Martin, both are promising but neither has been able to cement a spot in our 22, going on 2 years now.

But then we got Langdon who slotted str8 in, it's a lottery.

It's obviously hit and miss with these guys, we drafted 2 of the very best VFL players in Dwyer and Martin, both are promising but neither has been able to cement a spot in our 22, going on 2 years now.

Exactly - Barlow, Silvagni, Anthony, Dawson, Spurr, Mzungu, Menegola, Nick Lower, Gavin Roberts, van Berlo, Broughton

Some become best 22 players, some add depth and competition for spots, while some are just list cloggers.

Not sure if Dawson and Anthony should be in this list or not, but both were picked up via the PSD so neither were highly appreciated by other clubs.

The scouts really earn their money choosing these players.

Dwyer & Martin were both drafted in positions you were seemingly in need of withholding the knowledge that Elliot, Blair, Sidebottom etc. were going to become.

Dwyer & Martin (on form anyways) would be in the best 22 of almost every club from 5th down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back