2014 non Freo games

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
who travelled? maybe we will let all the emergencies play to give us a better chance of getting up for port. Sandi out, Hannath in. Ballas out, Duffy in.

The simple fact of the matter is that if we 'tank' and lose to brisbane as you say and then have a win against port the next week, we're still going to finish 5th due to percentage. Port jumped us tonight on % we cannot afford to lose this week against Brissy or else we are going to have to beat Port by an unrealistic amount to regain 4th

The commentators said 100%. Are they full of crap ?

mate only 2-3 % difference - but there right when we win we will be 4 points up but still % will be less than ports we have to win by more than 60 pts to get ahead in %.

Makes next week even more crucial - but one week at a time.

dammit blues.

The simple fact of the matter is that if we 'tank' and lose to brisbane as you say and then have a win against port the next week, we're still going to finish 5th due to percentage. Port jumped us tonight on % we cannot afford to lose this week against Brissy or else we are going to have to beat Port by an unrealistic amount to regain 4th
Nah we will be four points clear of them.
We are equal now, so no matter the result of the Brisbane game if we beat port we are 4 points clear.

We are equal now, so no matter the result of the Brisbane game if we beat port we are 4 points clear.
I stand corrected.

End of the day we're going to have to beat port due to their % to finish 4th whichever way we look at it. The boys should be frothing for the challenge i wouldve thought. Will be an amazing opportunity for a finals tune up for both teams.

I understand what you're saying, even if we lose to Brisbane we can still finish 4th by beating Port. But IMHO it's not an argument for tanking and losing it deliberately.

What about it I called it a strategic rest of key personnel?

I think it is too big a risk. If we can beat Brisbane by a decent margin we can end up with percentage roughly level with Port, and still have a game in hand on them. That means that Port will have to beat us plus a margin to take 4th spot. If we lose to Brisbane they only need to beat us by any margin to move ahead of us on points. We need to make it as hard for them as possible.

6 day break or not. This will be a home game. This I think is still a clear advantage. Carlton were terrible tonight and Port were kind of doing what the eagles have been doing to poor sides at home this year. We should win next week. Our defence and pressure will be a lot different to what Carton's was tonight. With no Barlow and Fyfe no excuses. This is a team game and we got some very good players to cover. Either belt Brisbane to smithereens on Sunday by a hundred or so points or beat pot next week. Think we got the advantage here. Playing at home is huge.

Ironically, Port winning by so much kind of increases the temptation to tank our game massively. On a sloppy very wet Brisy day, we're going to be no chance of getting a near 100 point win which is the only way we're going to get any sort of % that will serve us next week.

Except for maybe some psychological advantage for certain players in particular, the Bris game really will mean nothing now as far as top 4 is concerned.

Pity it's too late to call up our B team.

6 day break or not. This will be a home game. This I think is still a clear advantage. Carlton were terrible tonight and Port were kind of doing what the eagles have been doing to poor sides at home this year. We should win next week. Our defence and pressure will be a lot different to what Carton's was tonight. With no Barlow and Fyfe no excuses. This is a team game and we got some very good players to cover. Either belt Brisbane to smithereens on Sunday by a hundred or so points or beat pot next week. Think we got the advantage here. Playing at home is huge.

I'd take a comfortable win, a relaxed last quarter, no injuries and no suspensions. And a decent tail wind on the flight home so they make it back to Perth in record time.

% irrelevant now. Only result that matters is next week's game.
I've said it before, but Hinkley is a genius. We will need our best footy to topple them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't lose your minds too much.
In Percentage terms, it doesn't matter now.
We have to win the next two games regardless. If we lose to Port at home then we're probably going home anyways.

Don't lose your minds too much.
In Percentage terms, it doesn't matter now.
We have to win the next two games regardless. If we lose to Port at home then we're probably going home anyways.

Not quite, the only game that matters (effectively) is the Port game - except for pride, the Bris game realistically means nothing now.

Not if we have draw with Port next week.We get the four points this week and draw next week would see us clinch fourth.I know a draw is bloody remote,but it's still a chance.

Not if we have draw with Port next week.We get the four points this week and draw next week would see us clinch fourth.I know a draw is bloody remote,but it's still a chance.

If we draw we're almost certainly 5th too - unless we can pull off something like a 15 goal win against Bris.

EDIT: Oops, my mistake, obviously if we beat Brisbane, a draw will be enough vs Port.

Last edited:
Put Sandi, Ballas, Pav et al. on the first flight back to Perth tomorrow morning Rossy. Fly a few of the young fellas over and cop whatever fine we're slapped with on the chin. Only one game matters now.

What if we defeat Brisbane 120-30 then Port defeat us 100-90 We still make the 4.

Let's be realistic here though hey. We don't deal in hypotheticals. We beat Port, we make the four, we have to give ourselves every opportunity to do so.

Good grief, talking about this resting players s**t again.

Just go in hard for both games and win by as much as possible you tools.

A win by a significant margin on Sunday gives us a chance to push back ahead on PC and takes some pressure off against Port, more beneficial than having an essentially extra week in finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back