Live Event 2015 AFL Draft megathread (24th & 27th of November)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jed, a quick outside player and an athletic ruckman. Fits what I wanted from the rookie draft. :thumbsu:

Tell me more about the Goetz??

Western-Jets-Luke-Goetz-Altona-FC.jpg

Looks like you'd expect an 18-year old ruckman, skinny and tall.
Stats are a bit underwhelming, but that's why we have development coaches, right?

Capture.JPG

Went searching for info on Brad Lynch and found this little gem...

"Marcus Adams was outstanding at full-back for West Perth putting in a terrific defensive and counterattacking performance in the win over Subiaco. Not only did he keep Bernie Naylor Medal leader Shane Yarran goalless from three kicks, but had 17 possessions and seven marks himself."

Brad Lynch
186cm, 74kg

"In terms of pure football talent Brad is as good as we've had come through our system. Vision, skill awareness and ability to go off both sides of his body is actually quite special. I've been here since 2008 and I haven't seen someone with that sort of movement off both sides the way he can do it. So he's highly talented, has a good frame at 186cm to be a rangy wingman. His major issue will be his ability to win his own ball and that's something that will be a focus for him moving forward. On the outside, with time and space, he's certainly a special player." - Swan Districts coach Greg Harding

Luke Goetz
202cm, 90kg

"Luke is a 202cm ruckman who has grown considerably in the last 18 months after not being involved in any of the Jets' junior programs prior to this year. Came into our squad about round 6 and played every game from there. Very, very good athlete for someone of that size and has good speed and endurance. Still raw in terms of football development but a club might want to take a chance on him given his exceptional athleticism. I think he ran something like 18 minutes for 5km recently so he can seriously run." - Western Jets coach Torin Baker
So our haul this off-season:
  • Mature medium utility with a booming kick and premiership experience (Suckling)
  • 2x big-bodied utilities who thrive inside the contest and overhead (Dunkley/Williams)
  • 2x key defenders (Collins/Adams)
  • 1x super quick rebounding half back (Lynch)
  • 1x raw, developing ruckman (Goetz)
  • 1x mature, experienced small utility renowned for his leadership (Adcock)
All this at the expense of Ayce Cordy, Jarrad Grant, Michael Talia, Sam Darley, Matt Fuller, Brett Goodes, Jordan Kelly and Daniel Pearce.

Hell yes.
Goetz for Cordy
Collins for Talia
Suckling for Grant
Adcock for Goodes
Dunkley for Kelly
Adams for Fuller
Williams for Darley
Lynch for Pearce

We're bigger, more experienced and with more potential high end talent. Well played J-Mac and Dal.

Lynch and Goetz seem to have huge upside potential but need to improve aspects of their game to realise their potential: Lynch has no inside game and Goetz is still learning the game. Both are exceptional athletically though and Lynch has great foot skills.

I suspect we've chosen these guys specifically because we think a year or two in our system will significantly improve their deficiencies and give them a shot to be AFL players. Classic candidates for rookies spots and a big chance to improve markedly if our VFL/development system is as good as we think it is.

Couple of things lifted from the draft thread re: Goetz:
Stevey J said:
found a small article on Goetz...

EARLY in the season Western Jets regional manager Shane Sexton and coach Torin Baker were told about an emerging ruckman dominating for Altona’s under-18 side in the Western Region Football League.

The pair went out on a couple of occasions to watch Luke Goetz in action and liked what they saw, immediately inviting the 17-year-old down to join their list.

Goetz, who wasn’t considered by the Jets pre-season, quickly established himself in the Jets line-up and played the last nine games in the TAC Cup.

Remarkably, while he only played half a season for Altona, he still finished joint winner of the Vikings’ under-18 best and fairest award.

While he stands at 202cm, Baker said there’s a lot of development left in Goetz and he’s attracting a little bit of interest from AFL clubs ahead of the upcoming national, pre-season and rookie drafts.

“He has very good speed and endurance,” Baker said of Goetz.

“Luke has grown a lot over the last 18 months. While he still has much work to do on his football, there is considerable upside to him. He’ll play for us again as a 19-year-old next year if he doesn’t get selected.”

DraftMe said:
Attacks the ball in the air, moves very well, lacks strength (only been in TAC Cup system for half a season). Very raw but impossible to put a ceiling on him because of a lack of quality delivery to him in the fwd line from a bottom-age-heavy Jets list. Played more key forward than ruck.

Western-Jets-Luke-Goetz-Altona-FC.jpg

Looks like you'd expect an 18-year old ruckman, skinny and tall.
Stats are a bit underwhelming, but that's why we have development coaches, right?

View attachment 196172
Lol good old WRFL, good to see a local kid come into the fold, hopefully he doesn't do a Ward on us in a few years though :p:mad:

Gotta say, feel a bit for MacPherson, if we had spread our list out a bit more with different types of players over the last 3 years then imo he would be a Dog right now. Just a victim of needs/circumstance, hope he makes it at GC, Beasley on the money with that call he made the other week.

Is Lynch quick? Hopefully a JJ MK2 if so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez Sam Reid has had some dumb luck over the years, for a player of his very limited ability to still be on list 9 years after being drafted, should be buying Cal Ward some good chistmas presents as he has dragged him aong for a career.

Brad Lynch
186cm, 74kg

"In terms of pure football talent Brad is as good as we've had come through our system. Vision, skill awareness and ability to go off both sides of his body is actually quite special. I've been here since 2008 and I haven't seen someone with that sort of movement off both sides the way he can do it. So he's highly talented, has a good frame at 186cm to be a rangy wingman. His major issue will be his ability to win his own ball and that's something that will be a focus for him moving forward. On the outside, with time and space, he's certainly a special player." - Swan Districts coach Greg Harding
Needs to work on his inside game, fair enough

Not sure if you've mentioned it already Dan but can you tell us who was the State Leaguer we were keen on?
His name is Stuart Donnelly. Mature ager from Tasmania. Wasn't drafted so obviously the info was a little bit off the mark.

I've been told that he's getting some interest from VFL clubs though so we may yet see him as a Footscray player.

Did Darley get picked up?

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-11-27/rookie-draft-selections
Pick 11 – Brad Lynch

Height: 187cm
Weight: 70kg
Club: Swan Districts

Raw rebounding defender from Swan Districts (W.A) who is composed under pressure and possesses excellent foot skills on both sides of the body. Tested in the elite category for both speed and agility.

Pick 29 – Luke Goetz

Height: 202cm
Weight: 87kg
Club: Western Jets

202cm developing ruckman with excellent athleticism, highlighted by above average results in both speed and endurance testing. Good hands in traffic, and competes well.

Pick 46 – Jed Adcock

Height: 185cm
Weight: 84kg
Club: Brisbane Lions

206-game former captain of Brisbane who possesses excellent leadership and ability to play in all three areas of the ground. Above average disposal, with a fearless approach to both man and contest. Adds some experience to a young list.
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-11-27/rookie-draft-selections

Having rookie drafted a ruck and added one of the available tall outsde ball users (albeit one I didn't know about) as well as only rookie drafting Adcock I am very pleased with our off season additions. Hopefuly we can develop Goetz with Minno able to help him with his tap work, and hopefully they have Boyd chasing the Goetz at training to help improve his aerobic base in practice matches!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back