Live Event 2015 AFL Draft megathread (24th & 27th of November)

Remove this Banner Ad

Huh, Essendon took Tipungwuti as a rookie. I didn't know that his name was hyphenated as Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Having watched this bloke on about 6 or 7 occasions I lol'd a little. Hard at the ball - when he's near it, outside of that he's barely a NEAFL player. Has absolutely no traits that collectively transfer to this level. A really surprising selection.

Having watched this bloke on about 6 or 7 occasions I lol'd a little. Hard at the ball - when he's near it, outside of that he's barely a NEAFL player. Has absolutely no traits that collectively transfer to this level. A really surprising selection.

It's weird isn't it? When in the contest he's tough, relentless and impressive but once he's out in the open he's all at sea. He's been with Essendon for a while now also.

It's weird isn't it? When in the contest he's tough, relentless and impressive but once he's out in the open he's all at sea. He's been with Essendon for a while now also.
Real interesting RD from them. Took Nyuon, and fair enough, but re-drafted Hams who's a vanilla small utility and has had extensive injury concerns, and Tom Wallis as FS who nobody else clearly gave a s**t about.

So our haul this off-season:
  • Mature medium utility with a booming kick and premiership experience (Suckling)
  • 2x big-bodied utilities who thrive inside the contest and overhead (Dunkley/Williams)
  • 2x key defenders (Collins/Adams)
  • 1x super quick rebounding half back (Lynch)
  • 1x raw, developing ruckman (Goetz)
  • 1x mature, experienced medium utility renowned for his leadership (Adcock)
All this at the expense of Ayce Cordy, Jarrad Grant, Michael Talia, Sam Darley, Matt Fuller, Brett Goodes, Jordan Kelly and Daniel Pearce.

Hell yes.
Looks like we did as well as we could have hoped. A pat on the back for JMac and Dalrymple once again this year. The conversion of pick 11 to two high second rounders was a master stroke.

We now need to see whether this haul - from what was generally regarded as a weak draft - is as good on the turf as it looks on paper.
  • Suckling should get plenty of game time in 2016 (otherwise he is a fail).
  • Similar thoughts on Adcock although he'll obviously have to wait for a LTI or the mid-year threshold to get his chance.
  • I'll be disappointed if the 22yo mature Adams doesn't get at least half a dozen games.
  • After that we might expect only a handful of games each out of Collins and Dunkley. If they get more that's a bonus.
  • Would expect only a token appearance or two from Williams to give him a taste. Again, if he plays more than that it's a big bonus.
  • A development season in the VFL for Goetz and Lynch. I'll be keeping an eye on them. I like their physical attributes so we now need to see how well they can actually play footy.

Looks like you'd expect an 18-year old ruckman, skinny and tall.
Stats are a bit underwhelming, but that's why we have development coaches, right?

View attachment 196172
That's weird. In that stats log not once does he feature in the Best even though he tied for club B&F. o_O

Looks like we did as well as we could have hoped. A pat on the back for JMac and Dalrymple once again this year. The conversion of pick 11 to two high second rounders was a master stroke.

We now need to see whether this haul - from what was generally regarded as a weak draft - is as good on the turf as it looks on paper.
  • Suckling should get plenty of game time in 2016 (otherwise he is a fail).
  • Similar thoughts on Adcock although he'll obviously have to wait for a LTI or the mid-year threshold to get his chance.
  • I'll be disappointed if the 22yo mature Adams doesn't get at least half a dozen games.
  • After that we might expect only a handful of games each out of Collins and Dunkley. If they get more that's a bonus.
  • Would expect only a token appearance or two from Williams to give him a taste. Again, if he plays more than that it's a big bonus.
  • A development season in the VFL for Goetz and Lynch. I'll be keeping an eye on them. I like their physical attributes so we now need to see how well they can actually play footy.
FWIW my post was more based on list balance as, like you've alluded to, it's just too early to tell whether the players will justify their draft position. It's important to remember that we got very little out of the players we delisted (apart from Grant) - in the end, we've balanced our list out with players who potentially could offer more than these guys. Even if they don't we've succeeded in improving our list's spread on numerous dimensions, and that's a win. But yes, I mostly agree with you.

On Adcock though I don't think we should be expecting plenty of game time. I think he's been a bit overrated on here given his game against us in round 23. He offers depth in numerous areas of the ground and backup experience/leadership, but if he's seeing significant game time for us in 2016 I would think it's a bad sign. He was a great selection as a rookie and will be immediately upgraded for Clay Smith but I wouldn't want him playing anywhere close to every game and I see him as being a long way from an immediate selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW my post was more based on list balance as, like you've alluded to, it's just too early to tell whether the players will justify their draft position. It's important to remember that we got very little out of the players we delisted (apart from Grant) - in the end, we've balanced our list out with players who potentially could offer more than these guys. Even if they don't we've succeeded in improving our list's spread on numerous dimensions, and that's a win. But yes, I mostly agree with you.

On Adcock though I don't think we should be expecting plenty of game time. I think he's been a bit overrated on here given his game against us in round 23. He offers depth in numerous areas of the ground and backup experience/leadership, but if he's seeing significant game time for us in 2016 I would think it's a bad sign. He was a great selection as a rookie and will be immediately upgraded for Clay Smith but I wouldn't want him playing anywhere close to every game and I see him as being a long way from an immediate selection.
Yes, I take your point on Adcock. I wasn't suggesting 20+ games but he should always be in the mix if available.

However if he DOES happen to play 20 games it could be that he has a new lease of form in his new environment, so it might not be as bad as you think. If he's clearly in much better form than those vying for the same spot then let's play him.

Incidentally I note you describe him as a "medium" (at 185cm and 84kg) while you describe Williams as "big-bodied" at 187cm and 77kg. Is that on the basis that Williams has the frame to fill out to say 88kg?

Bailey Williams and Bradley Lynch will be the biggest smokies in this year's draft and produce great footy
Super keen for NAB cup and VFL Season for them

Yes, I take your point on Adcock. I wasn't suggesting 20+ games but he should always be in the mix if available.

However if he DOES happen to play 20 games it could be that he has a new lease of form in his new environment, so it might not be as bad as you think. If he's clearly in much better form than those vying for the same spot then let's play him.

Incidentally I note you describe him as a "medium" (at 185cm and 84kg) while you describe Williams as "big-bodied" at 187cm and 77kg. Is that on the basis that Williams has the frame to fill out to say 88kg?
It's a fair point and I probably was a little harsh on Adcock. I suppose who he's pushing out was a factor in what I said - it is important to play the best team every week and if Adcock is in it he should play, but I think we've gotta find that balance and still give the likes of McLean and such plenty of opportunity to develop.

I'd say that Adcock is big-bodied as well. Both are medium utilities in terms of height but my big-bodied comment was more regarding frame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back