2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Chol will also go top 25 and I would expect Reuben William to not be around by pick 40. Going to be a very exciting QLD draft!
would surely be on potential not output because they havent really performed that well, guess it can be put down to a fairly weak draft pool and all

would surely be on potential not output because they havent really performed that well, guess it can be put down to a fairly weak draft pool and all
One thing Qld boys have had in the past is the perception that, in a better development environment, they have more growth to give. I don't know if that perception still exists but I reckon at least a couple of Qld lads will get drafted based more on the athleticism than football ability.

I think Chol will also go top 25 and I would expect Reuben William to not be around by pick 40. Going to be a very exciting QLD draft!

Watched a couple of Queensland games and was impressed with William, a lot to work with there. Hopefully can get him on the list.

Not sure about Chol going that high thou, clubs are becoming reluctant to use high draft picks on Ruckman, becoming hard to put a value on any Ruck.

What are your thoughts on Wagner and Buzza?

Watched a couple of Queensland games and was impressed with William, a lot to work with there. Hopefully can get him on the list.

Not sure about Chol going that high thou, clubs are becoming reluctant to use high draft picks on Ruckman, becoming hard to put a value on any Ruck.

What are your thoughts on Wagner and Buzza?

I want both personally. Wagner will cost us a Draft pick, Buzza MAY slip through to Rookies.

Chol seemed very much like the stereotypical newborn giraffe to me. All awkward arms and legs.

Could see what he could potentially become but it's a long road ahead. Doubt we could carry him and Archie on the rookie list at the same time.

Chol seemed very much like the stereotypical newborn giraffe to me. All awkward arms and legs.

Could see what he could potentially become but it's a long road ahead. Doubt we could carry him and Archie on the rookie list at the same time.

with his height would he even be considered a ruckman? would surely be a project backman like allir allir

I think I mentioned it a while back, but Allison potentially has the most upside in that QLD side and the game on Thursday showed that. Hopefully he can convert that next year.

As POBT said, fist carnival for quite some time the highly rated qld kids have come in and performed, Keays and Hipwood possibly even enhancing their standing.

Chol & Wagner way ahead of Buzza in terms of draft standing IMO

The danger with young talls is whether they are good because they have always had a height advantage or good despite having a height advantage.

In junior footy, plenty of kids look like superstars until the others catch up and narrow the height gap but have better skills. It's the very few talls with skill that actually can develop into something that are worth persevering with.

I think such a premium is put on height, sometimes at the sacrifice of footy skills that clubs often pick the wrong horse to ride. We got it right with Andrews, Archie not looking so good, project or not. Hipwood looks the goods from what I have seen because he seems a footballer first and tall second. I haven't seen enough of the others to make a call on them.

If there are genuinely talented talls then take them, and maybe one tall project player at a time, maybe.

More often though, we need good skilled footballers of average AFL height because they are the bread and butter of the team. In our desperation to find the mystical KPF to be the second coming of JB, we might end up with a lot of tall average footballers and not enough average-height good footballers.

Keays, Hipwood and Allison all named All Australian from the U18 Champs. Great signs for the progress of our Academy. Genuinely want club to draft both Keays and Hipwood this year.

Personally don't think Chol and Buzza will end up on our list. Wagner will probably find his way on to the rookie list.

I suspect Dennis, Keays and Hipwood will be on the senior list though.

Really looking forward to the development of Allison.

hey mate, was wondering as to the reasoning behind you thinking Chol and Buzza wont be selected?

Is it due to being too raw talents? and potentiallly overstock of talls if we take schache/weitering, hipwood, dixon, dennis?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey mate, was wondering as to the reasoning behind you thinking Chol and Buzza wont be selected?

Is it due to being too raw talents? and potentiallly overstock of talls if we take schache/weitering, hipwood, dixon, dennis?
Too many young talls. We already have quite a few as is. Adding more than 3 or 4 would mean we won't have anywhere to put someone like Buzza in the reserves. Not to mention the fact that quite a few would be around the 200cm mark and therefore not really suited to playing different roles.

Too many young talls. We already have quite a few as is. Adding more than 3 or 4 would mean we won't have anywhere to put someone like Buzza in the reserves. Not to mention the fact that quite a few would be around the 200cm mark and therefore not really suited to playing different roles.

we've been having trouble getting majority of them on the park at the same time though, also think Archie Smith will possibly be gone at the end of the year, and there is a decent chance Hammelman will be too unless he shows alot as a back

Both are pretty raw. Chol may get selected on the rookie list, that largely comes down to how to club rate Archie though. I feel Dennis is a far superior option compared to Chol going forward too. Buzza who is an overager seems to beat up on smaller opponents and seems to genuinely struggles against opponents his size and when you factor that in with who we already have on the list in Close, Freeman, McStay and Hammer with potentially Dixon/Schache coming I don't think he'd fill a need. He reminds me of a less talented version of Freeman.

Theres something about Buzza that reminds me of Ben Brown from North. And personally, Id love Ben Brown in our forward line right now. I think Buzza could become that type of player.

Because of the hair? :p

we've been having trouble getting majority of them on the park at the same time though, also think Archie Smith will possibly be gone at the end of the year, and there is a decent chance Hammelman will be too unless he shows alot as a back
I'd be surprised if we only give a young tall one year on the rookie list. If Smith goes at the end of the year, you'd think Dennis would replace him.
It's hard to give someone like Buzza a chance to develop on the rookie list if we're struggling to find a role for them(as we would be next year).

I really don't get what others saw in Dennis. His rucking looked below average and his athleticism wasn't that impressive either.

I think Hammer will get another year. Think Evans and Smith are in some trouble. Beasley has shown enough. Bourke deserves promotion, O'Brien would be good depth.

He's going okay, isn't he?

He's going okay, isn't he?
I know they cut Conway after a year but I doubt they would with Evans. Hammer safe, Beasley a strong chance to be elevated imo. Bourke I think is in trouble despite being in the 1's atm. Archie Smith gone I think, to be replaced as a project player on rookie list by Buzza and/or Chol

I really don't get what others saw in Dennis. His rucking looked below average and his athleticism wasn't that impressive either.
I don't think his performance really comes into it. It's all about the potential with project ruckmen.
He is probably going okay, considering he is a rookie. But the club would have been expecting more from him. He's struggled at Reserves level, probably would be first in line to cut off the rookie list I'd imagine.
The issue might be that he was expected to be a more physically developed type, but that doesn't seem to have translated performance wise.

I think this is the highest draft pick that the lions will have since I've been following them. IIRC, Polec was pick 5, Leuey pick 4 and Brennan pick 3, hopefully we do much better this time.

Can't lock it in just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back