2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunday: Bushrangers v Stingrays in TAC Cup qualifying final.

Potential Schache v Weitering rematch....

Yeah, 2pm at IKON Park for anyone interested in attending. Hopefully the weather is good as it simply was not a day for forward last time they met. I'd imagine Collins and Weitering will rotate on Schache and double team him at times. I suspect they will get the better of him, but I'm hopeful for a good showing.

Hopefully Weitering puts in a great performance and forces us to pick him. Is clearly the better player and I hope Lions don't pick Schache as it will bite us later on.

And if Schache kicks 3+ while largely getting double teamed by the best two young defenders in the draft? I feel Weitering is the better player but we need a tall forward first and foremost. Cannot afford to wait another year to get one.

And if Schache kicks 3+ while largely getting double teamed by the best two young defenders in the draft? I feel Weitering is the better player but we need a tall forward first and foremost. Cannot afford to wait another year to get one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there is a rule / agreement in the U/18's that prevents this from occurring :cool:

I like Weitering but I don't think he wants to head up North.

I like him too...but we're ranked dead last for scoring and I50's so can't see why we'd pick a CHB when there is a CHF available that has dominated his age group with record setting goal kicking in the Championships, has a family connection with the club and a player who has the potential to lead our forward line for more than a decade.

And then there's also a solid amount of tall backs we have, all of whom have showed they can play the game in Andrews, Clarke, Gardiner, McStay and Cutler all between 192cm and 200cm :thumbsu:

Schache all the way :cool:

I like him too...but we're ranked dead last for scoring and I50's so can't see why we'd pick a CHB when there is a CHF available that has dominated his age group with record setting goal kicking in the Championships, has a family connection with the club and a player who has the potential to lead our forward line for more than a decade.

And then there's also a solid amount of tall backs we have, all of whom have showed they can play the game in Andrews, Clarke, Gardiner, McStay and Cutler all between 192cm and 200cm :thumbsu:

I actually think that McStay should play back and make him accountable. Add Schache and Hipwood to Freeman and Close (might end up back as well) I think that we have enough young KPP's to bank on. Smart drafting with the next few years and topline mids and the climb up won't be that long and also sustainable.

Last edited:
I actually think that McStay should play back and make him accountable. Add Schache and Hipwood to Freeman and Close (might end up back as well) I think that we have enough young KPP's to bank on. Smart drafting with the next few years and topline mids and the climb up won't be that long and also sustainable.

He should actually end up the ultimate swingman. He's had a tough year; imagine playing at the main forward at 20 in a team that struggles to move the ball forward quickly and rarely hits targets when it does o_O

I think Weitering is the better player but really by how much is very little and just academic. Having Andrews down back negates a lot of the need to take weitering. We need a gun young forward badly. You can pick up tall backs all through the draft, but tall forwards are hard to come by, and with us just missing finals for years you only have to look at our list and see that

From all reports weitering is better but schace is rated as highly as a forward as other recent high picks like Boyd, Patton, cameron. Good enough for me to take him pick 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attack puts bums on seats, while defence wins premierships. Footy is a business too so Schacke is a lock from business PoV and a team necessity PoV you would think. Also generates a lot more intetest in the short term which can only be a good thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there is a rule / agreement in the U/18's that prevents this from occurring :cool:

Certainly no rule/agreement for double teaming from I am aware of. It'd be pretty easily to get around it anyway. Was a bit of double teaming going on last time they met. Not a lot, but enough to make it difficult.

Hopefully Weitering puts in a great performance and forces us to pick him. Is clearly the better player and I hope Lions don't pick Schache as it will bite us later on.
I agree, but in the long run Schache will be the better player. Being the best ranked player in Under 18's in a single year doesn't mean they will become a A grader at AFL level. The Bont, Stringer, Fyfe, etc are perfect examples of this. Plus Schache has been training once a week during the championships and has a better scope for improvement.

As I am sure all of you that have played the game know it's much easier playing back. You work in straight lines, a lot easier to spoil and give a handball off to someone than take a contested grab with blokes jumping all over you. Needs to be taken into account , Schak for me, if his upper body catches up to his legs will be a beast.

I think shac would of gone number 1 whoever had the number 1 pick. It's so much harder to play in the forward line then it is in defence. KPF take a lot longer than KPD. Look at andrews struggled in attack shifted back and look how good he looks in defence. That being said I swear I read somewhere that the goal with Andrews is to shift him back into the forward line in a few years after he's put some weight on. I've seen Andrews play against people physically unable to match him and christ he kicked a bag on us that day no one could stop his influence. Thinking about him bulked up in 3-4 years time with his contested marking ability he will be unstoppable as a forward. Paired with freeman and shaq those 3 will have some real contested marking ability in 3-4 years time. It's a pretty scary thought for opposition defences.

Where does this leave Close? He will be on the outer I would think now. He has some good tools such as his endurance but he doesn't utilize it for game day. Hope he gets more confidence after putting on another 5 kg of bulk.

Has only been in the system 3 years, with one wiped out by injury. Has shown "glimpses" which is the minimum expectation for a young forward to justify their spot on the list.

Contracted for two more years after this one. Has time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back