2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard 2 years ago that the Dons were into Crozier, from a 40 year member. Their board says they have no pace. I can genuinely see this as possible.

He'd cost the same as Ryder or roughly the same I'd say. If they're interested in Crozier then a first rounder and him. Even if Crozier wants to stay he'd probably go in a trade like that, especially if the bombers offer superior terms.

I'd be pretty fed up if I was Jake. The guy's an excellent defender being continually played out of position. He looks disinterested and lost up forward at times.

Just a hypothetical question for fellow freo fans, disregard trades out for this as well(silly i know) Which scenario would you choose?

1. Trade in J.Hogan ( on his own because kid is god mkII)
2. Trade in H.Bennell + C.McCarthy ( Bennell problems/ McCarthy still unknown)
3. Acquire A.Rance via FA + Trade in H.Bennell ( Rance may walk/Bennell said problems)

First post so shoot me down if I've offended any Bigfooty gods :S

Hard to consider without allowing for what you would have to pay.
I am more partial to Rance because we won't have to give anything except cash to keep. A trade for McCarthy or Hogan will almost certainly involve either very good picks in the draft or a quality player. Both went round 1 and Hogan pre round one. A trade would be our round 1 pick plus our round 2 or 3 I would think. Unless you unload a quality mid and I do not mean a fringe dweller like DeBoer.
To quote popular culture IMHO the juice is not worth the squeeze.
Buy Rance if you can and only consider the rest if the "go home" factor is working for you otherwise I like what we have and wish to keep it. No deal.

I'd like for us to find a 205-210cm beanpole that can run but has a really buff dad to rookie list.

We could do with a Stringer type medium forward to partner Mayne. Two tall towers, two tackling talls, two zippy smalls.

He would effectively be a Mayne replacement as Mayne moves to a more Lead/Mark/Goal role in place of Pav.

I'd be pretty fed up if I was Jake. The guy's an excellent defender being continually played out of position. He looks disinterested and lost up forward at times.

Wouldn´t we want to put him forward too given we have our own 200cm athlete in Alex Pearce as our big backman of the future? Or do we have them as CHB and FB? With both of them having insane reach, no-one would be able to take a mark in our backline.

Interesting everyone here is interested in Bennell and everyone on the Eagles board is interested in Coniglio. Is it purely structural?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield is pretty solid and will be for the forseeable future. What we really need is a key forward.

Rance aside I think we look for guys we can get on the cheap. I'm not talking guys on the verge of being delisted or anything like that but relistically recruiting a top 5 player from another club isn't going to work.

One thing I do miss in the Ross Lyon era is the clubs ability to pull a jet out of the state leagues. Seems since Ross got here we've only really managed to get Spurr and Hannath through the door. It's weird because Taberner aside we haven't really seemed to get as much out of the rookie list as we used to and that's not all due to being hard team to crack into either yet we have seemed to almost abandon the mature aged players in the last few years.

I think it's generally harder to find good mature age recruits now because all clubs are putting more effort into it, and identifying them earlier.

I think it's generally harder to find good mature age recruits now because all clubs are putting more effort into it, and identifying them earlier.
True but they still exist. Adam Saad, Aaron Vandenberg and Nathan Krakouer have been fantastic. Finding a key defender or key forward which we actually need though will be extremely hard to do.

Interesting everyone here is interested in Bennell and everyone on the Eagles board is interested in Coniglio. Is it purely structural?
I'm certainly not. Bennell can stay at GC or go to the Eagles if he wants to come home. Highly skilled, but can go missing and has a poor attitude. No thanks.

Last edited:
Rance aside I think we look for guys we can get on the cheap. I'm not talking guys on the verge of being delisted or anything like that but relistically recruiting a top 5 player from another club isn't going to work.

One thing I do miss in the Ross Lyon era is the clubs ability to pull a jet out of the state leagues. Seems since Ross got here we've only really managed to get Spurr and Hannath through the door. It's weird because Taberner aside we haven't really seemed to get as much out of the rookie list as we used to and that's not all due to being hard team to crack into either yet we have seemed to almost abandon the mature aged players in the last few years.
I would put that down to not needing to plug any gaps in our list. Currently we have the luxury of being able to draft youth and wait for them to blossom.

I would put that down to not needing to plug any gaps in our list. Currently we have the luxury of being able to draft youth and wait for them to blossom.
This year may be the start of it again then. A few of the posters that watch Peel regularly are saying they believe Smith, Vandeleur etc wouldn't be here next year. Assuming we don't have McPharlin, Rance or some other KPD what's our back up plan. As we've seen the last few years we'll need more than Johnson, Dawson, Silvagni and Pearce throughout a season. A 195cm, 85kg twig wouldn't cut it.

I would think our backup plan for key backs is Josh Bootsma. And Alex Pearce looks really good. It's key forwards where we have no backup.

If Pavlich was to get injured tomorrow our current options are:

1. Play one of our backup ruckmen as a key forward
2. Throw McPharlin forward
3. Throw Zac Dawson forward

#3 might sound like a long bow but Dawson is a more accomplished forward than either Hannath or Griffin.

Last edited:
I would think our backup plan for key backs is Josh Bootsma. And Alex Pearce looks really good. It's key forwards where we have no backup.

If Pavlich was to get injured tomorrow our current options are:

1. Play one of our backup ruckmen as a key forward
2. Throw McPharlin forward
3. Throw Zac Dawson forward

#3 might sound like a long bow but Dawson is a more accomplished forward than either Hannath or Griffin.
4. Play Fyfe forward.
5. Play Crozier / Duffy and try and kick more goals from the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back