2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Boyd's gone, I can't see Cam McCarthy leaving. It's a damn shame because he looks to be the goods.

Here's a hypothetical trade scenario for you -> 2 potential champions in Hogan + Brayshaw for match winning franchise player Nathan Fyfe.
Fyfe is my favourite player in the AFL, but I would do it for the sake of overall sustained team success.
The above post has generated quite a few negative replies, which is fair enough - I very rashly posted it after the Demons game / before the Swans game & felt very silly watching Fyfe tearing it apart - playing the match of 3 ordinary mortal players. I agree he is an absolute match winning beast that should be classified as untradeable. Mea Culpa - I deserve your scorn.

There's no doubt that in the 2017 season, maybe even before, speculation about his contract will dominate footy talk circles. As an unrestricted free agent, he'll be free to take any offer coming his way - & based on Buddy & Gablett deals, they'll be MASSIVE ($1.25m+ per season). In Hawthorn & Geelong's cases, they weren't able to match the offers, because they had a squad full of other talented players they had to retain - I imagine we'll be in a similar situation. In terms of club loyalty, Gary Ablett Jr would have had far more pressure to stay at Geelong compared to Fyfe - so it would be naive to suggest that Fyfe would take a big pay cut for the love of the Purple. Based on the Geelong & Hawks examples, there is a fairly decent chance that we'll end up without Fyfe & nothing but a compensation pick.

It'd be hard to leave if your the captain.

Agree with this.

If we are still pogressing as a team and he is captain (which he will be) and we are willing to pay him well (which we should) it is hard to see a reason that he would leave his home state and mates.

The above post has generated quite a few negative replies, which is fair enough - I very rashly posted it after the Demons game / before the Swans game & felt very silly watching Fyfe tearing it apart - playing the match of 3 ordinary mortal players. I agree he is an absolute match winning beast that should be classified as untradeable. Mea Culpa - I deserve your scorn.

There's no doubt that in the 2017 season, maybe even before, speculation about his contract will dominate footy talk circles. As an unrestricted free agent, he'll be free to take any offer coming his way - & based on Buddy & Gablett deals, they'll be MASSIVE ($1.25m+ per season). In Hawthorn & Geelong's cases, they weren't able to match the offers, because they had a squad full of other talented players they had to retain - I imagine we'll be in a similar situation. In terms of club loyalty, Gary Ablett Jr would have had far more pressure to stay at Geelong compared to Fyfe - so it would be naive to suggest that Fyfe would take a big pay cut for the love of the Purple. Based on the Geelong & Hawks examples, there is a fairly decent chance that we'll end up without Fyfe & nothing but a compensation pick.
If we have 2 flags, i dont think i will care much. If not, ill be spewing

Agree with this.

If we are still pogressing as a team and he is captain (which he will be) and we are willing to pay him well (which we should) it is hard to see a reason that he would leave his home state and mates.

We can pay Fyfe 30% of his income as part of a tax minimization strategy, totally legit because as marketable as Fyfe is now if he was captain it is even more justifiable to the ATO.

The other clubs could do the same. It's nice to think we have an extra edge.

Pretty sure Fyfe will be a restricted free agent at the conclusion of his current deal so Freo will have the right to match any offer.
Not if the AFLPA has it's way.

The AFLPA revealed details of its submission to the league on free agency ahead of potential changes for 2017.

It wants restricted free agency after six years, no compensation for unrestricted free agents and says players should still remain free agents if they cross to another club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...able-for-players/story-fni5f22o-1227239014628

In that scenario, Fyfe would be an unrestricted free agent (8 years service instead of 10) and we would get no compensation for losing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry Tayl0r, I added the last couple of lines to my post at the same time you submitted yours.

The AFLPA wants to bring all free agencies forward by 2 years.

Under this scenario, unrestricted free agency would commence after 8 years service.
Cool. I was looking for the unrestricted time but couldn't find it written.

He works in the media. He is creating talking points. And it isn't a bad suggestion.

Neale's reply is great.
Has value, but you don't trade out people that show true commitment to the cause that have the right attitude and goods in return for mere promise.

Last edited:
What's Haslebys problem? He has some sort of angst against the club.

I think he thought he was a shoe in for an assistants job when he retired but got snubbed.

I'm only making that up but he's definitely got a grudge with us if you follow him on twitter and see some of the backhanded stuff he come up with about us. Someone or something at Freo has upset him.

I think he thought he was a shoe in for an assistants job when he retired but got snubbed.

I'm only making that up but he's definitely got a grudge with us if you follow him on twitter and see some of the backhanded stuff he come up with about us. Someone or something at Freo has upset him.
He wasn't quite the team man that could bring the best out in his team mates. Not sure how popular he was, may have had a bit of a figjam persona, which doesn't work for an assistant role, where playing ability means less than the ability to listen, engage and teach.

Yeah he has always got something smart to say. Forgets that we carried the fat little prick for all those years.

I don't mind hase and he and pav are or were pretty close for a long time. I don't think we should talk about carrying him when he carried our midfield for long periods.

I don't mind him speculating on players or trades. When former eagle players do it for the Eagles we bag them for being eagle focussed. Now we have a former Freo AA plaster doing the same and we bag him as having a grudge...

His role on talk back is to partly generate discussion. I've always found him to be pro Freo while still having an opinion on what we could possibly improve.

I personally think a game against GC isn't enough to get too excited about... McCarthy looks quick and a natural footballer we are looking for more of the contested marking power forward I would have thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back