Crowley (70%)
Morabito (60%)
McPharlin (70% -80%)

Medium Risk:
Sandi (50%)
Pav (40%)
Griffin (30%)

Potential Trades:
(people who might WANT to be traded for better opportunities, not people i personally think we SHOULD trade)
Crozier (50%) - Would be a confirmed started in probably 9 other AFL teams
Suban (30%) - understand he bleeds purple, but very soon will be pushed out of the team by younger people
DePig (30%) - See Suban

If Sylvia and only the 3 high risk go, that frees up significant $ value AND list space, and gives us some serious clout looking for free agents. Unliely we will need to delist any one.

List below is a little simplified, with some players able to play in multiple roles, but the gist is right

End of 2015 List:
(bolded best 22, or suitable for 22 if others injured) ( In brackets, # of spots in the 22)
KPF (2-3): Pav, Tabs, Apeness,
Forwards Small/ Flanker (4-5): Balla, Walters, Crozier, Mayne, Duffy, Langdon, Deluca,
Mids (6-7): Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Barlow, Neale, DPearce, CPearce, Mzungu, DePig, Suban, Sherro, Weller, Blakely, Ballard
Rucks (2): Sandi, Clarke, Griffin, Hannath, Moller,
KPD (3) : Dawson, Johnno, Silva, APearce, Smith
Small Defenders/Flankers (4): Ibbo, Spurr, Duff, Sutty, Hughes, Vandelure, Hurley

• Clearly batting deep in the midfiled - will be some unhappy people.
  • Look OK with small defenders, given Hill, Cpearce, Mzungu can swing back
  • Look OK with small forwards given Hill, DPearce, Suban, DePig, can swing forward
  • Rucks look OK, with developing younger talent.
  • KPD - not a train smash assuming Silva can keep on the park, but the group is aging, Bolded 3 are average age of 29.6 next year. Need to bring in ~ 24/ 25 y/o and allow APearce / Smith to develop?
  • KPF -looks thin, but with reasonable stock coming through. Apeman might be good by 2016, but he will still be young for a KPF. Target ( well CONTINUE to target) a Free gent KPF, but stocks are slim, might be better to trade someone who has a surplus, for some decent mids that we have enough of? Who could do with some good mids? WCE? They have KPF's. GWS? do they need our young mids? No, some of the older guys, maybe.

I am actually less concerned with the KPF's as we have mids that can push forward and impact on the score board.
Interesting analysis. Discussing trading players on the list is often controversial and emotion riddle. But Lyon has said that they want to get some higher draft picks, and we do need to keep looking for KPPs. So I have another thing to add to your post.

Bold are my untradables. Sometimes (as with Apeness) it is because of the position they play and our lack of depth.

Underline indicates players that I think we could consider trading if there was a trade to our advantage, but otherwise they are keepers.

The rest are players I think could be traded if it was a good way to balance our list. Doesn't mean I want to trade them, but if (for example) we lost Suban or de Boer, then Sheridan, Weller or Blakely will fill the void. There is a clear difference in trade value in this area.

Players with trade currency that we could afford to loose because we have depth in their position;

KPF
(2-3): Pav, Tabs, Apeness,
Forwards Small/ Flanker (4-5): Balla, Walters, Crozier, Mayne, Duffy, Langdon, Deluca,
Mids (6-7): Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Barlow, Neale, DPearce, CPearce, Mzungu, DePig, Suban, Sherro, Weller, Blakely, Ballard
Rucks (2): Sandi, Clarke, Griffin, Hannath, Moller,
KPD (3) : Dawson, Johnno, MacPharlin, Silva, APearce, Smith
Small Defenders/Flankers (4): Ibbo, Spurr, Duff, Sutty, Hughes, Vandelure, Hurley

I am one of those who thinks anyone is up for trade at the right price type of guy.

I also think trading plays a key role in filling holes in the list, and that you need to give something decent to get something decent.

Last edited:
KPD (3) : Dawson, Johnno, MacPharlin, Silva, APearce, Smith

I also think trading plays a key role in filling holes in the list, and that you need to give something decent to get something decent.

Wouldn't trading Alex Pearce just create a hole to fill a hole? He's the only young KPD on our books who's shown real promise and is surely a key part of the plan for our future.

So none of you would trade Neale for Hogan if such a deal was placed in front of you?

I definitely would. But that deal would never be placed. Hogan is worth a lot more than Neale. That's not a judgement on their comparative ability, it's just the reality of the AFL. Key Forwards are a lot rarer and therefore a lot more valuable than mids.

I just realised that Alex Rance is managed by Tom Petroro, who also managed Colin Sylvia. I'm guessing he won't be recommending us as a destination any time soon ;)

Why not?

He wouldn't recommend a work place where the standards are very high and there are no passengers no matter who you are?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the egirl flogs smash GWS, makes me realise how good we could be if we just had a couple more strong KP's...

I would kill for Kennedy, no way we would ever get the former East Freo boy back, but there has to be some targets for us at the end of this year.

Rance certainly, maybe Black. I wonder if one of the GC boys will be put up?

Wonder what this guy is like
Round 1 - Matt Allen (Glenelg)
This week’s Macca’s Cup MVP nominee is Glenelg’s Matt Allen. The Tigers’ forward was outstanding against Sturt, finishing with 28 disposals, 13 marks, seven inside 50s and six goals in his side’s big win.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allen is like hundreds of players across Australia who will spend 2015 trying to show they are good enough to be drafted by an AFL club.

Last weekend the 193cm forward took part in the under-18 South Australian football squad's camp, and did well in the running tests.

Matt Allen seems to be going alright at the moment what can you tell me about him Chris25, Skippos?
He's having a pretty good start to the year. Has to be said though, that he isn't exactly being pushed in terms of quality opponents in the U18s. It's not a great year for tall defenders, and a number of other key position prospects are already playing at reserves level. That's what Allen needs to do to really push his name up. He's a good size at around 193cm and 93kg, and you can't argue with his production so far in the opening two rounds. More of a hard working CHF type, gets the ball on the end of leads as opposed to being a big contested marking forward. At the moment, I'd expect him to play for SA at the Championships so going against better opposition will be a good gauge and hopefully it improves his body work.

Chris25, Apr 24, 2015

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back