2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's only played a handful of decent games. I don't think he's the KPF we're looking for.
He'd cost a lot more than guys that'd have very similar effect for us. Shane Kersten for example may be worth a look. As much of a key forward as Black is.

Another thing. When was the last time Kennedy kicked a bag against a team that has any sort of midfield pressure? Don't be fooled like any old idiot off the street, Kennedy won't get more than two goals against Port next week. In fact don't be surprised to see him go goalless.

Have never understood the fascination with Black. Granted, I haven't watched every game he's played ... but whenever I have, he has looked like a crab. Seems to be a good reason why he is #4 in line at the Roos.

Reckon Black is worth it if he comes cheap, although not as a key forward saviour some here think he is.

He has the athleticism and skills and height to play in a lot of positions down back or forward or even as a Fyfe/Mora style midfielder.

Annoys me though that we overlook guys like Ben Brown because they don´t show some "elite" athletic characteristic (e.g. stamina, speed etc). Like Jack Riewoldt, he is just a good mark and understands playing forward.

Reckon Black is worth it if he comes cheap, although not as a key forward saviour some here think he is.

He has the athleticism and skills and height to play in a lot of positions down back or forward or even as a Fyfe/Mora style midfielder.

Annoys me though that we overlook guys like Ben Brown because they don´t show some "elite" athletic characteristic (e.g. stamina, speed etc). Like Jack Riewoldt, he is just a good mark and understands playing forward.

I actually heard rumors at the time that we did look very closely at Brown the first year he came up, but presumably the early knee reconstruction scared us (and everyone else) off. He then worked very hard to get back into the frame, moved to Victoria etc. which took another two years from memory. It is just the fickle nature of the way talls develop.

Brown was a Freo supporter from memory too :p

Does anyone know how Mason Shaw is travelling for the Port Magpies?

I see he has played the last two games, but stats are mediocre.

Ports defenders are not that great.
Does it matter? The reason Kennedy kicks bags against bottom 6 sides in due to lack of midfield pressure and team defence. Port will have midfield dominance and team defence. Point is a good key forward doesn't necessarily kick 4-5 goals a game now especially against good teams these days.

There is on the other the argument that he'd do better in a side like ours. Yea he would but it'd be maybe a goal a game on average against good teams, maybe a goal a game less against crap teams given the nature of the Eagles performances against bottom 6 sides. Not sure he'd necessarily make that much of a difference though.

I think you may've answered your own question. How do his stats compare to Apeness' and/or Mollers?

In all honesty I could never understand the hype in his draft year, kept an eye on him ever since odd games of reasonable stats, but overall not much, injured a lot as well, from what I've seen not as good as our young blokes.

Charlie Dixon should be on our radar. Out of contract.

Daniel Merrett could be another. Getting on a bit but you may get a few years out of him and he would come free (free agent) and give Pearce et al more time before they take over No 1 defensive duties. Beast on his day. Can go forward too.

Pisses me off that Boyd left GWS and Patton went down. Mccarthy would most likely have been marginalised and went looking for greener pastures after a while. As it is, Vic teams get the prize.

Reckon Shaw would still be a good get if he is cheap. Don´t read too much into his early struggles on the field (although he did kick a few bags last year). He has had injury and had to contend with the physical effects of stacking 20kg on in just over 1 year! Any athlete will struggle with that.

Supposedly a weak draft so we may have to fill some vacancies through free agents, trading or mature agers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Dixon should be on our radar. Out of contract.

Daniel Merrett could be another. Getting on a bit but you may get a few years out of him and he would come free (free agent) and give Pearce et al more time before they take over No 1 defensive duties. Beast on his day. Can go forward too.

Pisses me off that Boyd left GWS and Patton went down. Mccarthy would most likely have been marginalised and went looking for greener pastures after a while. As it is, Vic teams get the prize.

Reckon Shaw would still be a good get if he is cheap. Don´t read too much into his early struggles on the field (although he did kick a few bags last year). He has had injury and had to contend with the physical effects of stacking 20kg on in just over 1 year! Any athlete will struggle with that.

Supposedly a weak draft so we may have to fill some vacancies through free agents, trading or mature agers.

There's gotta be a big play for Dixon surely. GC simply dont have the luxury of paying him overs, as they have about 10 they have to re-sign soon, cant pay em all. Whereas we might. The timing works as well - have a crack at him this yr, hit and we're sweet, miss and do the mother of all reloads for J Hogan the year after. Wont have to chase both concurrently, or choose only one.

Black was worse than disgusting on Sat night.

Merrett is slowing down very fast, ironically.
10kg a preseason for Shaw worries me. Professional body builders dream of putting on 20kg of lean mass in two years without an albuterol drip. It has me very suspicious.

Is Dixon one of the guys who will be considered free agents at the end of next season due to their time with the Suns prior to the clubs inclusion in the competition?

Merrett is slowing down very fast, ironically.
10kg a preseason for Shaw worries me. Professional body builders dream of putting on 20kg of lean mass in two years without an albuterol drip. It has me very suspicious.

Is Dixon one of the guys who will be considered free agents at the end of next season due to their time with the Suns prior to the clubs inclusion in the competition?

Yes

Brandon Matera and Harley Bennell just suspended for being on the beers after the Q Clash.

This year is the year to go hard at some of the WA boys up on the GC.

Would take Bennell in a heart beat! On a long term contract though with GC I think?

Freo have enough Matera types already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back