2015 Draft - Which midfielder is next?

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a look at the highlights of the player Chris 25 said we would take with our second pick 38. Fremantle - Blake Hardwick (181cm, 78kg forward from Eastern Ranges). He looks the goods. In the Inside Football draft review he was described as a cross between Le Cra and Elliot. I wouldnt mind if we picked him up at all.

I've had my 5 picks in the BigFooty Phantom Draft...

#26 - Greg Clark (194cm, 83kg midfielder from Subiaco)
#38 - Dylan Smith (198cm, 81kg defender/forward from Swan Districts)
#55 - Blake Hardwick (181cm, 78kg forward from Eastern Ranges)
#69 - Brandon White (188cm, 78kg defender/wing from Dandenong Stingrays)
#87 - Liam Hulett (194cm, 90kg forward from Dandenong Stingrays)

Most of the talls I liked were gone by my first pick, so I sort of went best available - I like Greg Clark as a developing midfielder, but he can also rotate through the forward line as sort of a lead up CHF. Bit like Tom Lamb from the Eagles. Otherwise, I'm putting all my eggs into the Blake Hardwick basket up forward. Just a small, but could play alongside Walters and Ballantyne and be good for 1 or 2 goals a game. He's a different type of small forward. Liam Hulett is a project forward, hampered by injuries so far. But is a classic full forward type, marks well and leads strongly.

Dylan Smith can play as a tall forward or defender, but I think might be best suited down back. Develop him either way though, while Brandon White was just a bargain I thought at 69. He's just a less flashy version of Hibberd or Bonner, who are both considered top 20 chances. He's stronger defensively too, while having good speed.

Otherwise, I did bid on tall defender Nick Coughlan and half back Lachlan Tiziani but was matched both times by GWS. Also, for those wondering Marcus Adams went at #60. Still have some rookie picks to go, and I've got some targets...

Pick 38 Fremantle - Dylan Smith (198cm, 81kg tall forward/defender from Swan Districts)

There are other players I rate higher, but I wouldn't be allowed back on the Fremantle board if I went for another small.

Who did you rate higher at this selection?

#38 - Dylan Smith (198cm, 81kg defender/forward from Swan Districts)
#55 - Blake Hardwick (181cm, 78kg forward from Eastern Ranges)
#69 - Brandon White (188cm, 78kg defender/wing from Dandenong Stingrays)
#87 - Liam Hulett (194cm, 90kg forward from Dandenong Stingrays)

Most of the talls I liked were gone by my first pick, so I sort of went best available - I like Greg Clark as a developing midfielder, but he can also rotate through the forward line as sort of a lead up CHF. Bit like Tom Lamb from the Eagles. Otherwise, I'm putting all my eggs into the Blake Hardwick basket up forward. Just a small, but could play alongside Walters and Ballantyne and be good for 1 or 2 goals a game. He's a different type of small forward. Liam Hulett is a project forward, hampered by injuries so far. But is a classic full forward type, marks well and leads strongly.

Dylan Smith can play as a tall forward or defender, but I think might be best suited down back. Develop him either way though, while Brandon White was just a bargain I thought at 69. He's just a less flashy version of Hibberd or Bonner, who are both considered top 20 chances. He's stronger defensively too, while having good speed.

Otherwise, I did bid on tall defender Nick Coughlan and half back Lachlan Tiziani but was matched both times by GWS. Also, for those wondering Marcus Adams went at #60. Still have some rookie picks to go, and I've got some targets...
Not sure I like the idea of us getting Greg Clark. From what I've heard, his ceiling might not be super high, but should be picked up based on his leadership skills. I can see him ending up more of a tall DeBoer than a Mundy/Fyfe in the midfield.

Most of the talls I liked were gone by my first pick, so I sort of went best available - I like Greg Clark as a developing midfielder, but he can also rotate through the forward line as sort of a lead up CHF. Bit like Tom Lamb from the Eagles.

What are Clark's kicking skills like? He looks quite ordinary by foot on the highlights I've seen, and doesn't really seem that enticing. But I guess none of the likely prospects sound all that great once it gets to pick 26.

What are Clark's kicking skills like? He looks quite ordinary by foot on the highlights I've seen, and doesn't really seem that enticing. But I guess none of the likely prospects sound all that great once it gets to pick 26.

I tend to agree but he could develop into a third tall forward like Paparoni I guess? Many draft watchers do see him more as a forward than a midfielder at AFL level.

Just my opinion but Tucker looked more appealing at that pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all due respect to Chris we just cut Ballard who has similar physical traits and position as Greg Clarke so personally think that selection won't occur. I'm always wary of guys who are neither KPP players nor super quick.

Last edited:
Greg Clark? I don't understand this at all.

Our team's weakness is our KPP's and midfield kicking ability. We don't need another tall midfielder with poor decision making and kicking skills. (just going off that video of him)

His numbers aren't that good either. Feeling :confused::confused:

For what's it worth, I tend to use the BigFooty drafts differently than others - I'm more about highlighting players who are slipping under the radar. Greg Clark, I feel is better than what BigFooty has him rated at. So I took him early and possibly overlooked some better players. Having said that, I don't think he has reached anywhere near his potential yet. I'm expecting a big improvement in terms of his inside contested game, to go along with his versatility on the outside. Hopefully the pick makes sense in 2-3 years time. I don't expect Fremantle to take him though.

As for his kicking, it's no worse than Fyfe's. :p

For what's it worth, I tend to use the BigFooty drafts differently than others - I'm more about highlighting players who are slipping under the radar. Greg Clark, I feel is better than what BigFooty has him rated at. So I took him early and possibly overlooked some better players. Having said that, I don't think he has reached anywhere near his potential yet. I'm expecting a big improvement in terms of his inside contested game, to go along with his versatility on the outside. Hopefully the pick makes sense in 2-3 years time. I don't expect Fremantle to take him though.

As for his kicking, it's no worse than Fyfe's. :p
What is he like athletically? Particularly speed off the mark and running tank?

I am hoping the 25-28 odd picks before us aren't just "best player available" picks and that we might get a shot at someone a bit better than we are expecting... Here's my current thinking...

1st pick (hopefully a good KPP is still available): Collins, Burton, B.McKay, Himmelberg (worth a bid, GWS might not be able to afford him)
1st pick (if no KPP above available then I guess we go): Tucker, Clarke, Partington, Gresham, Lovell, Cole
2nd pick (I'd get another KPP - assuming none above are available): Glass-McCasker, Skinner, Smith
2nd pick (assuming none of the above available): Cunningham, O'Kearney, Crocker
3rd pick (assuming none of the above available): Hardwick, Redman, Markov, Mountford
4th pick (assuming none of the above available): Nyuon, Moore, Tahana, Clark, Adams, Eades

Last edited:
I'm assuming we can post who we think we'll take with our first pick

I'm thinking

1st Pick: Ryan Burton
2nd Pick: Tom Cole
3rd Pick: Marcus Adams

or

2nd Pick: Blake Hardwick
3rd Pick: Kurt Mutimer

or

1st Pick: Riley Bonner
2nd Pick: Jesse Glass-McCasker

would be my hopes

I'm thinking

or

or

would be my hopes

There's a competition thread if you want to have a go at predicting our draft? No prizes or even bragging rights but a bit of interest and you may get to boost your self esteem

I'm thinking

or

or

would be my hopes
Can any of these guys kick goals from set shots dead in front 30m out? Take him.

Just watched the vid on collins - would give my left *** to have him still available at our pick. Him and Pearce holding up our defence for the next 10 years
Yeah perfect size too, big frame, plug and play. I don't think he'll fall to us though, could go earlier than expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back