News 2015 pre-season (Training, photos etc, THREAD FINALLY CLOSED, SEE NEW PHOTOS THREAD)

Will we finally have an injury free preseason in 2015 training ?

• YES?

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • NO?

Votes: 75 43.6%
  • MAYBE?

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • 50/50?

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • OR PHONE A FRIEND?

Votes: 43 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had one question for the Magpies of 1990, what would it be? #piesof90
B_Ov8cUVAAAFURI.jpg

Interesting things from Neil's report,

Maynard matched up against Frost and then Brown, what role are we looking at with him?

Also Matt Rendell, is he our new ruck coach?

Kenno didn't train? That's... worrying.
Neither did White. Might have pulled up sore or just been given some extra recovery time since we aren't playing this week.

Fingers crossed it's nothing sinister.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"5. Now all defenders are taken down to the river end by coach Ben Hart. This drill sees a coach acting as the designated kick-in player, kicking to the fowrad flank (30-40 metres) to a leading defender. The player is being encouraged to fly over the back of Ben Hart (who wears padding) to take the mark. Marley Williams seems to particularly enjoy this drill.
Players taking part: Reid, Frost, Toovey, Williams, Marsh, Ramsay, Armstrong, Maynard, Brown. This drill lasts for 15-20 minutes."

I'm not really sure of the wisdom behind encouraging a backman to practice receiving a mark by riding the back of an opposition forward that is obviously in the best position to receive the mark.

"5. Now all defenders are taken down to the river end by coach Ben Hart. This drill sees a coach acting as the designated kick-in player, kicking to the fowrad flank (30-40 metres) to a leading defender. The player is being encouraged to fly over the back of Ben Hart (who wears padding) to take the mark. Marley Williams seems to particularly enjoy this drill.
Players taking part: Reid, Frost, Toovey, Williams, Marsh, Ramsay, Armstrong, Maynard, Brown. This drill lasts for 15-20 minutes."
I'm not really sure of the wisdom behind encouraging a backman to practice receiving a mark by riding the back of an opposition forward that is obviously in the best position to receive the mark.

Practicing the art of taking a mark can surely only be a good thing?
I've seen Trav fly and then realise he won't take it and spoiled it instead.
Maybe that's part of their thinking

Expect nothing, be prepared for everything

What about this bit from Neil's training report:

'Tim Broomhead didn’t stop smiling'

Things really are on the improve.:D
That will only exacerbate the evil interest from South Australian clubs...how could they resist a smiling Tom Broomhead...all is lost.

Practicing the art of taking a mark can surely only be a good thing?
I've seen Trav fly and then realise he won't take it and spoiled it instead.
Maybe that's part of their thinking

I guess every team member needs to be able to take a grab from behind. This is worth practising. I just don't understand the reasoning of practising a mis-kick from a kick-out that requires a grab from behind. Unless I misinterpreted the report and the kick is over a forward to a stationary receiver who needs to deal with an opposition player that is backing back to intercept the kick. Still, it seems a bit strange to me.

Last edited:
That will only exacerbate the evil interest from South Australian clubs...how could they resist a smiling Tom Broomhead...all is lost.
They can have Tom Broomhead. Tim however, is going nowhere :D

That is not a very good sign.

Hope Moore won’t be this year’s Freeman and Worry that our 2 Best Big Man from NAB Challenge are not Training :cry:

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/posting.php?mode=reply&t=76385&sid=79f4df580349aaf3cac24760b505919b
Moore already said he'll be lucky to make a NAB challenge match, so it's not too big of a surprise imo. Considering our last game is 2-3 weeks away. But with that, he has been out a fair amount of time with a "minor toe/foot" injury.

I guess every team member needs to be able to take a grab from behind. This is worth practising. I just don't understand the reasoning of practising a mis-kick from a kick-out that requires a grab from behind. Unless I misinterpreted the report and the kick is over a forward to a stationary receiver who needs to deal with an opposition player that is backing back to intercept the kick. Still, it seems a bit strange to.

Teaching them to back themselves in a 50:50 situation? I'm guessing it's all about confidence for the ball-winner and all his immediate teammates in the vicinity backing him to win it so they can run to position and create a better exit from defence? It does sound a bit iffy, as likely someone flying for the ball won't quickly bounce back to their feet if they mess it up...

Relax Dave. They've made it perfectly clear that they're being ultra conservative with Moore.

I get that and That what I say they where doing with Freeman last year and he was out all year. Though hope Freeman has no more Hammies anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back