News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Guys,

Pardon the intrusion, I was just wondering how Mitch Duncan was tracking this pre-season? Is he likely to see more time inside the centre square or will he always be that outside receiving player?
Every year since he's made his debut he's improved and I don't see this season being any different. As has already been mentioned he'll see a little bit of centre square action but predominantly he'll still be more of an outside player for us.

I only watch about half the session, the main group did go onto drills similar to the ones in the video, sadly dan wasn't involved. He may have once I left. Your boy Jansen is a bit quicker then I though he was going to be.

Yeah he is deceptively quick! But the main things I want him to focus on are fitness and foot skills :thumbsu::footy:

I keep hearing (reading) about how much Guthrie is impressing in all the running, which is very encouraging. Love what he has to offer in the midfield and, although most (including myself) are hoping for a break out year from Caddy, I reckon Guthrie could well match, or even exceed him this year.

You mentioned that Duncan was impressive with the running ChookNorris, and Caddy has looked good in the snippets I have seen, so did you notice how Horlin-Smith and Motlop were doing with the running? These young midfielders are key to this year and beyond, so great to hear that they are all pushing themselves.

Thanks for the updates Chook.

I keep hearing (reading) about how much Guthrie is impressing in all the running, which is very encouraging. Love what he has to offer in the midfield and, although most (including myself) are hoping for a break out year from Caddy, I reckon Guthrie could well match, or even exceed him this year.

You mentioned that Duncan was impressive with the running ChookNorris, and Caddy has looked good in the snippets I have seen, so did you notice how Horlin-Smith and Motlop were doing with the running? These young midfielders are key to this year and beyond, so great to hear that they are all pushing themselves.

Thanks for the updates Chook.
Motlop didn't participate in alot of the main running drills, horlin smith couldn't be picked out of the crowd. Was funny watching gore, Selwood and Caddy running... The clone machine is working down at the cattery

Read my mind. My question was going to be related mainly to ruckmen - McIntosh, Simpson, Vardy and Clark. Who is there and who isn't etc.
Only 'rucks' i saw in the main session was read and walker and lucey. May have missed Stanley though. Blitz did solo training working on contested stuff (guess the assume he doesnt need running drills) Simpson and McIntosh ran laps and signed autographs.

Only 'rucks' i saw in the main session was read and walker and lucey. May have missed Stanley though. Blitz did solo training working on contested stuff (guess the assume he doesnt need running drills) Simpson and McIntosh ran laps and signed autographs.

You will generate 3 pages of discussion and blood letting by calling Walker a ruck…:D

Go Catters

But almost certainly not in 2015. Averaging that many touches a game isn't as easy as we think it is. Caddy's rated wonderfully on here, but after 58 games his average is still 15.4 a game, and his highest average in one season is 16.7 (last season). Guthrie has played 64 games now, and his average last year was an (for his first year in the midfield) impressive 18.5. His overall is still 14.4. Likewise Horlin-Smith managed to reach 16.2 last season, for an overall of 15.5. They've played in order 58, 64, and 32 games. Cowan has played 3, and had three full seasons out of the game. For now I'd just want him to stay fit and be able to get out there every week. If he could even get to 15 touches a game next year I'd be ecstatic.

That's not a criticism of any of those four players, just a harsh appraisal of what players actually achieve in their early seasons as opposed to how we imagine it.

It is good to keep reminding fans that our young mids have a way to go before they are going to be serious mids (25 possession average per game). In fact some we hope to make will not.

But you cannot include in their stats from the start of their debut to now. You would expect a new mid coming in would play a fair bit in a different position (not as a mid) and then it takes time to get the pace and measure of the game when you first start out. Ablett's figures in his first dozen games would not be that flash either I would suspect.

When judging a new mid you need to compare each season - to see if they are getting better. Each year they get fitter, stronger and can play a full game better. So you would expect with the more pre-seasons, the more experience in the AFL and growing confidence they would get naturally better each season - and that would show up in the overall stats.

I think we need a fair development in Caddy, GHS and Guthrie - so our midfield becomes more effective. And my guess is that they will. In fact I think these 3 averaging 20 possessions a game is quite achievable - especially if our rucks improve a bit as well.

I really like what I see with GHS. Except for a lack of pace he does everything else well for a person of so little experience. I think he maybe be the biggest improver of the 3 players this year.

Guthrie is just a really good solid footy player who I think will continue to get better with age. Sort of guy you could do with two of.

I know many here are Caddy fans - but he has the most to do to improve IMO. His attitude is great and he definitely has had his moments but his kicking and decision making has had its moments. He needs to just get a few more clearances and possies - and do something with them - and he will be fine. No doubt one of the better youngsters we have coming thru but he is not near rave time.

You will generate 3 pages of discussion and blood letting by calling Walker a ruck…:D

Go Catters
I did use the use inverted comas when I said 'ruck'

If you're looking for Stanley, see if you've noticed two Mackies...
One of them will be him.
Yep- the cloning machine is alive and well!!

Motlop didn't participate in alot of the main running drills, horlin smith couldn't be picked out of the crowd. Was funny watching gore, Selwood and Caddy running... The clone machine is working down at the cattery
So you liked the look of Gore did you mate? He's one that I think could bring great returns for a pick in the 50's!

I know many here are Caddy fans - but he has the most to do to improve IMO. His attitude is great and he definitely has had his moments but his kicking and decision making has had its moments. He needs to just get a few more clearances and possies - and do something with them - and he will be fine. No doubt one of the better youngsters we have coming thru but he is not near rave time.

To me he seemed to have a change of approach halfway through one game - Round 17 vs Melbourne. Prior to that I had two big criticisms of him; his overeagerness to take tackles on when he didn't need to, and his lack of thinking before disposing of the ball (often from being caught after taking on one too many tackles). From the third quarter onwards of that Melbourne game, he started doing the basics a lot more, taking the first option, and immediately looked a much better player. Personally I think his best traits are his disposal on both feet, and particularly his evasive skills. It might not suit the ludicrous 'bull' nickname others are so desperate to bestow, but to me he looks better when he's doing that less. It might have dawned on him that other players in the competition are strong as well.

Interestingly, if you look at his stats for 2014, he averaged 13.5 touches a game up to and including the Melbourne game; he averaged 19.8 a game for the rest of the year. That's definitely what we'd like to see more of.

So you liked the look of Gore did you mate? He's one that I think could bring great returns for a pick in the 50's!
Hopefully, looked decent running, was hard to get a good look at the young blokes, trained down the other end of the ground.
Remember reading earlier at in the SA u17 game (red v blue) Gore got best on for one side and read, who actually had a nice kick for a big bloke from was I saw today got best on in the other... Guessing wells was there hah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few things i noticed today:

Simpson, Stanley, SJ and Cowan did not train
Blease, Toohey, Clark, Hartman, Bates, McIntosh, Horlin-Smith and Menzel were on a modified program. Did a lot of laps and strait line running drills, also Menzel did some kicking, jumping, marking and kick a great snap goal from outside the boundary line around 30m out!
As the players we warming up one of the coaches was being interviewed and he mentioned 2 main things: That the players have been doing 60kms a week and that Guthrie, Caddy and Smedts have been the most impressive on the track. I watched Smedts closely after that and he was impressive in the running drills, only a step behind Duncan and Guthrie. Another encouraging sign was that during the last open session was that all his contested work was with either Caddy or SJ and he wasn't being thrown off the ball, very competitive.
Bews trained hard and during the chase drill Selwood couldn't get near him, however by the end of the drill he was barely keeping up with Hawkins.
I tried to keep an eye on the new players but the fact that the jumper numbers weren't correct didn't help; Cunico is small but he very fast and was very clean with most things he did, Gore looks ready to go right now I wouldn't be surprised if he played a few senior games next year and the big guys (Read and Lucey) both looked athletic and decent kicks but there wasn't much pressure. Read moves and looks more like a KPP to me, looking forward to watching him in the vfl this year.

Saw most of the offerings this morning. No Shows included McCarthy Stanley and Cowan. Lets hope Josh is on hols with Johnno.

Not much to take from what looked like a friendly romp.

BUT Bews either had an early extra session or he has a long way to go fitness wise. Trailed in all running. Lets hope he has just gone through a big
loading section this week.
As stated by R.M. Selwood hunted Bews down over 70m but when Bews felt him on his shoulder he accelerated. Looks quite quick.
I hope he can build an engine but.

Guthrie looks quite the leader. Does everything as well as he can and he has loads of talent. On this little taster I reckon he must be released from
tagging to play pure midfield.

GHS worked away from main group.

Hardly any talls doing any serious work. Yikes. All on modified programmes?

Hawkins,Simpson,Duncan in particular looking very trim.

Good to see running set up close to the kids on the western side. A good morning.

Good to see Clark running - hopefully just calf soreness , nothing major.
Not surprised that there a quite a few on different programs - average of 60kms per week running would have me well and truly modifed - in need of constant massaging ;)

But almost certainly not in 2015. Averaging that many touches a game isn't as easy as we think it is. Caddy's rated wonderfully on here, but after 58 games his average is still 15.4 a game, and his highest average in one season is 16.7 (last season). Guthrie has played 64 games now, and his average last year was an (for his first year in the midfield) impressive 18.5. His overall is still 14.4. Likewise Horlin-Smith managed to reach 16.2 last season, for an overall of 15.5. They've played in order 58, 64, and 32 games. Cowan has played 3, and had three full seasons out of the game. For now I'd just want him to stay fit and be able to get out there every week. If he could even get to 15 touches a game next year I'd be ecstatic.

That's not a criticism of any of those four players, just a harsh appraisal of what players actually achieve in their early seasons as opposed to how we imagine it.
On Caddy, I notice he averaged 23.4 touches and a goal per game for his last 5 games and 4 of those 5 games were his 4 highest disposal games for his career, that in hindsight is an amazing step up in output.

I knew he finished the year well but if he can maintain that standard this year at a minimum on the back of a good injury free run, his rating as a player and value to the team will skyrocket by season's end.

Bad points - Simpson, Stanley, SJ and Cowan did not train
Hartman, Horlin-Smith were on a modified programs.
however by the end of the drill he (Bews) was barely keeping up with Hawkins.

Good points - The players have been doing 60kms a week and that Guthrie, Caddy and Smedts have been the most impressive on the track. I watched Smedts closely after that and he was impressive in the running drills, only a step behind Duncan and Guthrie.
Another encouraging sign was that during the last open session was that all his contested work was with either Caddy or SJ (You previously stated Stevie did not train.?) and he wasn't being thrown off the ball, very competitive.
Bews trained hard and during the chase drill Selwood couldn't get near him,
I tried to keep an eye on the new players but the fact that the jumper numbers weren't correct didn't help; Cunico is small but he very fast and was very clean with most things he did,
Gore looks ready to go right now I wouldn't be surprised if he played a few senior games next year and the big guys (Read and Lucey) both looked athletic and decent kicks but there wasn't much pressure. Read moves and looks more like a KPP to me, looking forward to watching him in the vfl this year.

Just 4 the record I believe we got a steal with Gore.. :thumbsu:

Gore should definitely play a game or two of the NAB Cup (possibly all), see how he goes & if he performs well could definitely see him being thrown into it Round 1 against the Hawks (Probably not as SUB though as he doesn't look like a sub kind of player) but I am very excited for Gore as well!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back