2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you rate Clarke very harshly for a guy who is essentially a third year player. Leppitsch played as a rebounding CHB, he and Merrett are not the same type of player at all. Andrews is really more of a third floater, but could play KPD in time, Hipwood in a perfect world would be allowed to develop physically in the twos next year. You still have Gardiner, Beasely, Watts and McGuiness who are supposed to fill those KPD in time, but they need to put weight on.

The club went hard for Rance, didnt get him. If the club was enamored with Astbury he would of got here. Talia for me would of been a good target but reports say he always wanted Sydney.

I certainly dont see the backline as much of a problem as the forward line or the ability to win contested ball/stop turning it over in the middle.

Rich will rotate through the backline and midfield.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I still think it's our weakest part of the ground.... But anyways let's see how DJ Merrett and goofy Clarke go again, neither of them are Mal Michael. He is still going around in local footy in Melbourne , bring back Mal, bring back Mal, bring back Mal

I don't see Andrews or Hipwood as CHBs unless they can get to the 95kg mark at least. Even though they are tall they are more suited as the 3rd defender who plays off the resting ruck. Hopefully one of them can develop their rucking ability and play a Mitch Clark like role for us when he was in his prime.
Andrews will be CHB for 10 years... Hipwood similar ilk, still developing size, needs to clean up his disposal for him to play AFL footy.

Not sure why people are already writing Andrews off as a 3rd tall/ floating type who will struggle to gain weight. I think he'll end up being a similar player to Cale Hooker (who has no problem taking the opposition's no.1 forward). He held up very well just relying on his ability to read the ball in flight and out position his opponent. Will only get better as he develops the ability to compete strength wise.

It's very easy to make assumptions about our defenders based on what happens when we turn the ball over and get caught out (which is what happens 90% of the time). The style we've been trying to play without the ball also doesn't help when that happens. Look at what happened to West Coast in the gf- they kept turning it over, Hawthorn had numerous free players inside 50 every time. Nothing defenders can do in that situation.
Andrews will gain size, it's Hipwood who I honestly can't see being more than 95kg at the most. Also I think the style of play for Andrews is best suited for 3rd tall for now... you can't expect a skinny 19 year old to play on oppositions best forwards... I'm not sure why it is so hard for others to understand that especially in the 2016 team predictions thread almost everyone has Andrews at CHB... he played as the 4th defender most of his games (behind Clarke, Merrett and Gardiner when he was fit) with stints against the likes of Walker etc where he got smashed.

I think the club is focused on getting games into this young kids first. This is the spine that will make us into finals contenders. It's hard to make finals when majority of our spine has a average of 22 games under their belt.

Gardiner (25 games), Andrews (19 games), Clarke (56 games), McStay (29 games), Hipwood (0 games), Paparone (45 games), Schache (0 games), Close (15 games), Freeman (10 games).

We need to get at least 50-100 games into this kids first. During the next 2-3 years, we need to start targeting in advance, quality players via FA or players coming out of contract. Whether it's a KPD, Mid, Ruckmen or KPF, we need quality.

I think the club is focused on getting games into this young kids first. This is the spine that will make us into finals contenders. It's hard to make finals when majority of our spine has a average of 22 games under their belt.

Gardiner (25 games), Andrews (19 games), Clarke (56 games), McStay (29 games), Hipwood (0 games), Paparone (45 games), Schache (0 games), Close (15 games), Freeman (10 games).

We need to get at least 50-100 games into this kids first. During the next 2-3 years, we need to start targeting in advance, quality players via FA or players coming out of contract. Whether it's a KPD, Mid, Ruckmen or KPF, we need quality.
You are right that's why I am against the thought that Merrett will be a huge difference down back this coming season, would much rather give experience to younger players.... Rance would have been a coup and fast forwarded progress

Now that the dust has settled after the 2015 trade fiesta's finale I thought it might be interesting to go back and see how the club has addressed the holes put in the playing list following the GH5 trade frenzy of 2013.

To do this I looked at every player traded into and out of the Brisbane Lions from 2013 to the most recent trade period (20 players in total). I then looked at the year that these players were drafted into the AFL system. I then split these players into 3 different time periods. The findings

2004 - 2007 (pre GH5 era)

In: McGuane, West
Out: Patfull, Leunberger

[Experience: 118 games lost]

2008 - 2011 (GH5 era)

In: Beams, Christensen, Robinson, Bastinac, Walker, Paine
Out: Redden, Polec, Yeo, Docherty, Longer, Karnezis

[Experience: 146 games gained]

2012 - 2013 [Post GH5 era]

In: Bell, Jansen
Out: Aish, Crisp

[Experience: 21 games lost]

In summary, I'm pretty comfortable with how the Lions have covered for the GH5 losses. I would say that we have actually come out ahead with the players we now have in our team from the 2008 - 2011 drafts. It is also interesting how every player traded out has been covered by one player traded in and how they are even roughly matched up positionally also. One final note is that I would expect Brisbane in the next trade season or two to attempt to trade in some top end talent from the 2012 - 2014 drafts.

We just can't afford another bottom 4 finish or else Rich, Mayes, Zorko etc will go elsewhere... We have to push top 8 that is why I think Leppa will be playing the best team available and won't be blooding as many youngsters this time around. Plus he has his own job to save.
Hmmm which way should I go....I second that, .......or,... you can say that again.

You need experienced players around the kids, not just playing them for the sake of playing them. By the sounds of it you have already written off next year. I would also argue that Paparone, McStay and Gardiner (at this point) are not spine players.

Hipwood should not play next year given his physical maturity, so you wont pump games into him for the sake of it. Im hoping this year has not damaged McStay too much after he was asked to do a role that he wasnt equipped for.

Andrews was measured at 92kg last year. With a decent program he'll easily pass 97 kegs this year. I think the the guy could hit a lean 120+ kg with his frame. Has monster potential, just don't know how we intend to use him down the line.
McStay will be able to hold any key position in 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He isnt that kind of player where he can outbody a defender (or forward). He is closer to a Jeremy Howe type.
As I said ...in two years...by which time he'll be a Gary Pert type. He's already bigger than Gary when he started.

BRISBANE TO SWOOP ON JARRAD GRANT

Brisbane CEO Swann

"Jarrad has been delisted by the dogs and we are certainly looking to pick him up. As you know, famously, Leigh Matthews ran through a point post once, so a lot of our supporters try to "do a lethal", hence we have been looking to replace a point post. Jarrad we feel is the perfect fit, the right shade of white, pretty well sticks to the one spot and certainly physically ticks all the boxes."

As I said ...in two years...by which time he'll be a Gary Pert type. He's already bigger than Gary when he started.
Yes but all players are bigger than thirty years ago, hell I am bigger than John Nicholls, doesnt mean I can play ruck now.

He isnt that kind of player where he can outbody a defender (or forward). He is closer to a Jeremy Howe type.
Well there's a slur right there. I know you said type not quality but on both measures I would say he is far and away a better player than Howe even now. He will be a body player earlier than some here are predicting. He actually has a reasonable physique which can only get stronger and I think next year he will show massive improvement in that respect, especially with some bigger bodies around him and an improved health and fitness regime.

Yes but all players are bigger than thirty years ago, hell I am bigger than John Nicholls, doesnt mean I can play ruck now.
You obviously don't need me to help you look silly ! Pert played on Salmon,Lockett,Ablett,and both Taylor and Roach. He and Roos both played state footy,played on the wing,forward and back, conceding size most times,and were rarely beaten.If you look at the forward structures of most teams,they are generally much smaller these days. Essendon then,had Maddern,Van deHarr and Salmon....far bigger,and better, than anything going 'round now!

The thread may be gone but long live the Simpsons!

Rockliff: Aishyyyy... Aishyyyy
Robinson (joining in): Aishyyy... Aishyyy
Mel Lambert: Boys, that's not very nice
Rockliff: Mel, he's a professional athlete. He's used to this kind of thing, it rolls right off his back!
(Cut to close up of James Aish)

tumblr_l57bd0DSD11qc073co1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back