List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh God I'm going to have to get used to that doofus mercenary Fyfe being a saint, aren't I?

He better not get ideas above his station while he's playing for us. Just because he's the expensive ring-in, it doesn't mean he gets to be treated like a false god & handed the captaincy and all the other horror stories you hear about and the medicos had certainly better make sure that he's not going to be a very expensive crock.

Still think it could be the undoing of all our good work.
Yes you are correct. That fine citizen Martin it is then.

To price them out of it they'd probably have to give him say a 2 or 3 year offer at about $1.6mil+ PA, but coming off two broken legs is Nat really going to take the risk of signing for just two or three years, when there are probably 5+ year, multi-million dollar offers on the table?

And if we had to give him a really expensive contract up front, how do we then have the space free for another big signing?

Apart from paying minimum cap for the last few years we've also been paying players money forward from future years to free up even more cap.
With Fisher gone, Dempster going and Joey and Roo winding down we will have an enormous amount of money to spend for 2018. We can afford a Fyfe/Martin and another high level young mid if the situation arose.

If it came to a trade, Fyfe is worth two 1st rounders, but I'd push for them to throw in dewah07's mate Harley Balic

That's probably fair, there seems to be an idea now that all god players are worth 2 first rounders. If you actually look at the Treloar deal that seems to have set the bench mark it's actually a first and a swap of a first for a second. They got Aish and Treloar for 2 first rounders and Aish was actually a down grade from where he was taken in the draft. The idea that team will pay 2 firsts for a player is a very risky idea unless like Treloar the player has 10 years plus and is already an established gun. Fyfe better again but older and injured.

That's probably fair, there seems to be an idea now that all god players are worth 2 first rounders. If you actually look at the Treloar deal that seems to have set the bench mark it's actually a first and a swap of a first for a second. They got Aish and Treloar for 2 first rounders and Aish was actually a down grade from where he was taken in the draft. The idea that team will pay 2 firsts for a player is a very risky idea unless like Treloar the player has 10 years plus and is already an established gun. Fyfe better again but older and injured.
Depends on the # of the picks imo.

If fyfe worth picks 1 & 2, no way.
Is fyfe worth picks 17 & 18, def unders.

I reckon his worth 1 top 10 and a late teens pick straight up.

Considering freo still need a ruck adding one of longer or hickey to the deal could help.

Longer + hawks 2017 1st rounder + saints 2nd rounder 2018 (pick 32-36)

I'd be happy with that.

Considering freo still need a ruck adding one of longer or hickey to the deal could help.

I'd be happy with that.

Still prefer we front load the crap out of him and get him free and so Freo don't cry we could do a Dangerfield handful of crap deal for him so Ross can save face.

I'd imagine the plan for next off season would be to put into use one or two of the three first rounders we have at our disposal to lure a very high level young mid from probably the Giants and also lure one superstar FA mid. We will have the salary cap for both and to also extend our young players contracts.
You never know, maybe there has already been some early discussion between some players, their managers and our club.

keep posting

I'd be happy with that.
The only reason fyfe is on the radar is because he,s an ooc free agent. If we are going to trade two first rounders there are all sorts of other players , in or out of contract, we can look at

Yes you are correct. That fine citizen Martin it is then.
Yeah, when you put it like that...

I can't believe we're inviting people like Fyfe, Martin, Rockcliff etc into the club. Im getting itchy just thinking about it. Not in a good way.

Maybe I should lighten up: people thought Fraser Gehrig would be a dodgy character to bring in and claimed Aaron Hamill was never a Saint at heart. Bringing those guys in was a masterstroke in hindsight, and I'm sure any new player, regardless of pay structure or rep, would embrace this club and form strong bonds with teammates and fans alike.

Last edited:
Yeah, when you put it like that...

I can't believe we're inviting people like Fyfe, Martin, Rockcliff etc into the club. Im getting itchy just thinking about it. Not in a good way.

Maybe I should lighten up: people thought Fraser Gehrig would be a dodgy character to bring in and claimed Aaron Camille was never a Saint at heart. Bringing those guys in was a masterstroke in hindsight, and I'm sure any new player, regardless of pay structure or rep, would embrace this club and form strong bonds with teammates and fans alike.

Reckon you're right. The club is too well run at the moment to not make sure any newbie will buy in. It would be a huge part of the target identification and recruitment I would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a lot of smoke around Hopper.

Heard from a lot of my mates that he's coming back to Victoria at the end of next year.

Jelly Kelly/Shiel is no chance based on what I've heard too.

Obviously there's the better part of a year to play out but Hopper (who I rate as the best player from the 2015 draft) is the one to look out for.

I'd imagine the plan for next off season would be to put into use one or two of the three first rounders we have at our disposal to lure a very high level young mid from probably the Giants and also lure one superstar FA mid. We will have the salary cap for both and to also extend our young players contracts.
You never know, maybe there has already been some early discussion between some players, their managers and our club.

Sorry, but I'm a bit tired and my brain's not working @ 100%.

I've read this written several times by different posters and I'm sure the answer is in this forum somewhere.

But; where does the 3rd first rounder we have up our sleeve come from? Our's and Hawthorn's yes; but the 3rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back