List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I figure if discussions have started elsewhere we might as well get it started here too.​

With talk about Dan the other day and now Darcy for us.​

Classy Sun eying new deal, flag Tiger delays call on future

LIONS FREE AGENT IN DISCUSSIONS​

BRISBANE is in talks with free agent Darcy Gardiner on a new deal.

Gardiner will hit free agency for the first time in his career as his contract expires at the end of this season, which is his ninth at the Lions since joining the club at the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.

The key backman has been a stalwart of their defence since arriving at Brisbane and has played the first three games this season after an injury-interrupted 2021.

HxllSDNi.jpg

Discussions are continuing on an extension for Gardiner, who is one of six free agents at the club this year.

Gardiner's hard-line defensive work and ability to contain some of the competition's best tall forwards has been crucial in the Lions' build throughout his career. – Callum Twomey

Daniel McStay (Brisbane)
“McStay is one that has definitely been on the radar of Victorian clubs for a little while now. Negotiations have been parked there.

“Collingwood’s a club to look for there in terms of what they could be looking at.

“With McStay, you look at the clubs who were interested and had some interest and floated their interest in Ben King, I think they’re the same clubs that would be asking the question of Dan McStay.”

He hasn’t had an amazing start to the season and this should be his big career contract. Holding off on a deal makes sense while he finds form, even if he has every intention of staying. I really like him in the side but I don’t think he’s irreplaceable so not much to worry about from my point of view.

50/50 I reckon. He will get much better offers elsewhere, that is the way the system works. This is his big contract, so he would be silly to sign early, even if he was never going to leave.

We have lifestyle, finals, club culture working for us in our retaining and luring players. Against us will be bigger money offers (not unique to us) and more potential fame, attention and opportunities elsewhere.

Comes down to the individual. List management wise i think we need this year and maybe next year hitting the draft again, bring in another injection of young talent. Could maybe start at looking at trade and FA options after that, possibly decent names.

Re Dan McStay - assuming the 6 years x $600k offer from a Victorian club is around the mark (contract nuances aside), what would the Lions be likely to offer? I know these long contracts are in vogue but I can't see us offering Dan a 6 year contract - a longer contract than anyone else on our list.

Re Dan McStay - assuming the 6 years x $600k offer from a Victorian club is around the mark (contract nuances aside), what would the Lions be likely to offer? I know these long contracts are in vogue but I can't see us offering Dan a 6 year contract - a longer contract than anyone else on our list.

3 years plus a trigger for 4, probably 500kish but with some amount being incentive/performance based. He's a good player and I probably rate him more than anyone else on here but he's not a 600k a year player for 6 years.

I assume the contract figure would be exaggerated quite a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume the contract figure would be exaggerated quite a bit.
It's very common for all incentive-based payments to be included in the high level number when this stuff "leaks", regardless of how likely they are to achieve them.

It's very common for all incentive-based payments to be included in the high level number when this stuff "leaks", regardless of how likely they are to achieve them.

Yes, but that is countered by the fact that agents definitely don't want incorrectly high contract figures put out into the media - they are always quick to correct the record.

Dan just bought a house in Brisbane as Mighty Lions said. Throw in his recent comments about being keen to stay and I think a fair offer to him will get it done. The only exception is if another club does offer overs that are so far above ours he'd be silly to say no.

Dan just bought a house in Brisbane as Mighty Lions said. Throw in his recent comments about being keen to stay and I think a fair offer to him will get it done. The only exception is if another club does offer overs that are so far above ours he'd be silly to say no.
I hope he stays. We've put a lot into his development. I never thought he'd be a player there'd be a bidding war over but happy for him if he can nail down a decent contract. He seems like a genuine young man and I'm sure his preference would be to stay at Brisbane if at all possible. I doubt we'll be able to match what others see as his value on the open market , but that's only one consideration.

Once we get Hipwood up and running we should be able to use his skills further up the ground.

I’m neither here nor there on McStay staying or going.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I prefer a two genuine ruck set up, though I would like our second ruck to be more capable forward, a la a young Ryder or Rowan Marshall.

With Hipwood healthy, I wouldn’t necessarily have McStay in the team.

Nor am I keen on paying Dan more than $400k per.

If each of your best 22 is on $400k per, then your best 22 is worth have $8.8m. As Mitch has mentioned on his podcast, the role players in the team don’t even make league average salary. This is balanced out by the “stars” and bigger names in the team being on higher salaries.

Dan is a role player. Similar to Mitch, Starcevich, Ah Chee and McCarthy, and a lot of the fringe players outside the best 22.

If Dan is being offered 6 years, he should be taking it and not looking back from a financial perspective.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I prefer a two genuine ruck set up, though I would like our second ruck to be more capable forward, a la a young Ryder or Rowan Marshall.

If each of your best 22 is on $400k per, then your best 22 is worth have $8.8m. As Mitch has mentioned on his podcast, the role players in the team don’t even make league average salary. This is balanced out by the “stars” and bigger names in the team being on higher salaries.

Dan is a role player. Similar to Mitch, Starcevich, Ah Chee and McCarthy, and a lot of the fringe players outside the best 22.

If Dan is being offered 6 years, he should be taking it and not looking back from a financial perspective.
One thing I've also come around to is the 2 ruck team.

It really counts towards the end of games. But your second ruck needs to be dangerous if resting.

400K for Dan is more than enough and if someone wants to give him an extended contract on a lot more then so be it.

I don't think he's finished top 12 in our B/F after 9 years but I'm hopeful he's still on the improve.

One thing I've also come around to is the 2 ruck team.

It really counts towards the end of games. But your second ruck needs to be dangerous if resting.

400K for Dan is more than enough and if someone wants to give him an extended contract on a lot more then so be it.

I don't think he's finished top 12 in our B/F after 9 years but I'm hopeful he's still on the improve.
I agree. It is why Luke Jackson is so valuable for the Dees and Mac Andrew was a top 5 pick in last years draft. A good ruckman who can also play as a KPF is a highly sought after commodity and obviously very rare. Big O isn't the best ruckman in the league and he isn't quite a KPF either, however, he is a good ruckman who can be dangerous enough inside 50 as a marking target and reliable kick for goal. It is why Big O is such a handy player for us.

If another club offers a contract he'd be silly to say no to, then that club is being a little silly :p

Out of interest, 400k would be in the range of about 15th highest paid player on a team's list on average (for 2011).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back