Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m nervous we will now trade for Logan mcdonald and have to pay an eye watering price, purely because we have the picks in hand. Sydney will ask for the 3 first rounders. Kinnear beatson is a pain to deal with gives nothing handy.
We will need a damn strong negotiator not to fold to ambit claims if that does happen

Tomorrow I’d like either another small forward (maybe Callinan from TAS) or a HBF like Clohessy.
I still reckon we are a touch light on decent half backs and he could be a plug and play if Young is in the middle

Aiden O Driscoll was taken at pick 50.

I seriously wanted him. I thought he was ok.

I dont know if trading away picks 46, 60 and 63 for pick 38 was the right thing. I would rather 3 late picks to get 3 solid players.
Should have been one of the following:
36 > 46, 60, 63; or
38 > 46, 60, 74

That pick 63 would have been around the mark for Aiden. It isn’t a big deal though and we may not of selected him anyway. The clubs were plucking out real needs based picks from around when Port entered the fray at pick 48.

I’m nervous we will now trade for Logan mcdonald and have to pay an eye watering price, purely because we have the picks in hand. Sydney will ask for the 3 first rounders. Kinnear beatson is a pain to deal with gives nothing handy.
We will need a damn strong negotiator not to fold to ambit claims if that does happen
The solution there is to go Brisbane style and trade the pick out early and say oh we don't have those anymore.

I’m glad we held onto our future firsts, it was the responsible thing to do. Gives us so many options for next year. Logan or some high end kids. I’ve got a feeling port will take a dive.
Any goss on what we offered to move up and get Caddy/Curtin?

We’re not paying more than 1 low first or 2 high ones. A single top 5 first can get you any player unless WC is prepared to use pick 1 on them in the actual draft.

We have to use a first anyway due to AFL rules & he will have no contract if he wants to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomorrow I’d like either another small forward (maybe Callinan from TAS) or a HBF like Clohessy.
I still reckon we are a touch light on decent half backs and he could be a plug and play if Young is in the middle
Got a feeling we'll see Clohessy added to the list today and a pass for the second selection. We'll trial mature aged small forwards over the SPP period once we open up the spot for Corbett.

The alternative if there is someone we like at our second rookie pick is to just take them and list Sharp after opening up the Corbett spot (could be done next week).

I think I read though that you can also only trial two players per available list spot. Guaranteeing Sharp a spot but not actually listing him until January/February could effectively allow us to trial three players for one spot.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/event/richmond-vs-fremantle-2/

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/event/richmond-vs-fremantle-2/

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/promulgate-redirect/?sid=13&bsa_pro_id=139&bsa_pro_url=1

Odin-Jones.jpg

West Perth
WEST PERTHRUCK FORWARD

#40​

Odin Jones​

Height: 199cm
Weight: 96kg
D.O.B: 25-09-2005
Leagues: AFL U18 Championships
STRENGTHS:
  • Follow-up work
  • Production
  • Size
  • Work rate
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Athleticism
  • Kick consistency
A hard-working ruck from West Perth, Odin Jones is best known for his follow-up work and efforts around the ground. A readymade size at 199cm and 96kg, Jones competed well against some high quality rucks at WAFL Colts level, and averaged a handy 15.7 disposals, 3.5 marks and 18.1 hitouts per game.
He was able to go forward on occasions and hit the scoreboard, though it was his ability to cover ground that caught the eye. His defensive pressure and second efforts post-stoppage, along with his higher-than-average production rates suggest that he has some other strings to his bow outside the ruck contests.
Jones' kicking style can be a little awkward and the consistency not quite there due to over finessing the ball at times, while his athleticism is another area that is the tradeoff for his size. Though, given his size and ability to impact games with strong numbers across the board, he looms as a rookie option.
DRAFT RANGE: Rookie

AFL U18 CHAMPIONSHIPS​

SEASONTEAMKHBDMCPUPTHOCLRI50R50GLGMKHDMHOTGDC
2023WESTERN AUSTRALIA000000000000000000000
TOTAL-000000000000000000000
https://central.rookieme.com/afl/promulgate-redirect/?sid=13&bsa_pro_id=62&bsa_pro_url=1

ODIN JONES ARTICLES
Claremont-East-Fremantle-2023-WAFL-Colts-finals.jpeg

SCOUTING NOTES3 months ago

SCOUTING NOTES: WAFL COLTS FINALS WEEK ONE​

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/promulgate-redirect/?sid=10&bsa_pro_id=59&bsa_pro_url=1

If you like the content that Draft Central provides and don’t want to miss any of it, then sign up to receive our newsletter today.

Aussie Rules Central​

The number one AFL/W Draft news site
© Rookie Me Central (formerly Draft Central) 2023

odin Jones apparently

Odin Jones would be an odd choice. There are 14 players on our list that are over 195cm and would be considered KPP or ruck. It's a lot. Checking through the good sides and most of them seem to be around the 10-12 mark, and that often includes mobile/undersized KPP (e.g. Mihocek and Murphy at the Pies). Even the Bulldogs who people say have too much tall timber are only at 12.

My preference today would be a half back like Clohesy. And then to trial some talls like Odin Jones over summer for the final rookie spot/supplemental pick.

But for a rookie spot, it’s hard to be too unhappy whichever way we go.

List needs would suggest it's a small forward and either a HBF or outside mid. The HBF would allow us to trial current HBFs on our list on the wing - an outside mid just addresses that issue more directly but maybe not as well.

Loading up on talls would probably be a strategy planning to move on from Taberner/Corbett etc end of next season and/or develop a long term replacement for Pearce (still has 2-4 years left imo). Can't just have Amiss, Treacy and a bunch KPDs that can play forward a bit tbh. I'd rather either retain one of Taberner or Corbett in 2025 than compromise other parts of our list though. It really comprises other parts of our list if we end up with Logan McDonald end of 2024. Not only would we have drafted players we don't need, we'd trade away the picks needed to get players we do need. And I support getting McDonald btw.

I suppose once you remove Corbett and Tabs we get very light on for KPF depth. Seems like it would have been very nice to get Edwards for free.

Really feel the list is going to be quite unbalanced next year though and some more smalls up front and down back are needed

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back