Discussion 2023 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How was Weitering not in concussion protocol? He was staggering around the goal square after he copped that hit to the head.

How did Cripps not get sent off with the blood rule with blood pouring out his nose right in front of the umpire.

AFL really is a bush league at times with its (non) adherence to its own rules.
The bolded was exactly what I was saying last night.
A Melbourne player only had to point it out in the last minute or so, and they’d be in the Preliminary.

Not the forum to have this debate in full but that article was horrendously biased. No exploration of the feasibility (or lack thereof) of playing at Bellerive or York Park long term. I'm not convinced it will get built because of how political it's got but bloody oath it should be.
Exactly. The pre determined agenda was oozing out of nearly every sentence.

Exactly. The pre determined agenda was oozing out of nearly every sentence.
The article explained the situation as of now, that is, the only option in play according to the deal that has been signed and to which the state of Tasmania, through its government, is committed. My point is that without this deal being renegotiated in some way, the terms are far too onerous, and unacceptable to the general public, and any alternative government, to proceed. Unless something changes it simply won't happen for the many reasons detailed in the article.

The "pre determined agenda" are facts. Unpalatable, unwelcome and inescapable facts.

I'll restate my position. I have long wanted a Tasmanian team. Demetriou, he of the acutely publicly embarrassing corporate board ignorance at Crown, failed our state way back then. The current AFL executive has agreed that we can have a team but then have imposed terms on us that can't be met. That is another failure. Our contribution, as a state, to our game, has been treated with utter contempt.

Let's also face another fact. The chair of the AFL Board is Richard Goyder, also the chair of the Board at Qantas. How well is that going? Those people look at a specific set of numbers only while the fabric of the organisation compeletely crumbles, including the essential social license. It doesn't take long.

The article explained the situation as of now, that is, the only option in play according to the deal that has been signed and to which the state of Tasmania, through its government, is committed. My point is that without this deal being renegotiated in some way, the terms are far too onerous, and unacceptable to the general public, and any alternative government, to proceed. Unless something changes it simply won't happen for the many reasons detailed in the article.

The "pre determined agenda" are facts. Unpalatable, unwelcome and inescapable facts.

I'll restate my position. I have long wanted a Tasmanian team. Demetriou, he of the acutely publicly embarrassing corporate board ignorance at Crown, failed our state way back then. The current AFL executive has agreed that we can have a team but then have imposed terms on us that can't be met. That is another failure. Our contribution, as a state, to our game, has been treated with utter contempt.

Let's also face another fact. The chair of the AFL Board is Richard Goyder, also the chair of the Board at Qantas. How well is that going? Those people look at a specific set of numbers only while the fabric of the organisation compeletely crumbles, including the essential social license. It doesn't take long.

Yeah, the way the economy is headed, it's going to be a hard sell. Gill has kicked the can down the road. It will have to be renegotiated to some degree. We'll see the appetite of governments and the AFL to get this up.

How is it an inescapable fact when it's been funded and has both state and federal govt support? You're speaking like it's impossible when the business case has already been shown to stack up. The tide of public support is turning in favour of it. It is in no one's interest to have the team fall over.

Yeah, the way the economy is headed, it's going to be a hard sell. Gill has kicked the can down the road. It will have to be renegotiated to some degree. We'll see the appetite of governments and the AFL to get this up.

Tassie is still just too small population wise. Its not disrespect its reality.

500 000 for the state.
200 000 for Hobart
72000 for Launceston.

Half of Hobart can fit in the MCG.

It doesn't make more sense than having a Bendigo/Ballarat team, ( Bendigo/Ballarat being closer to a city of 5 million than Launceston is to Hobart ).

Dylan Alcott killed off the old Ch9 Footy Show along with Lame-o when they tried to revamp it.

86056423ded9ed4cb016a0f1ae8599f8

The Front Bar was already beating it in the ratings and after that revamp it became a blowout.

A couple of observations:

Can see why Hogan is thriving at the Giants. Toby Greene would be the type of captain to let loose but give blokes like Hogan a clip if they crossed the line.

Adam Kingsley has been transcending to his ultra ego Bane all football season. He’s there now.

Go Giants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All good points except the Trump stuff. Keep Daddy Donald’s name outta your mouth 😎

How is it an inescapable fact when it's been funded and has both state and federal govt support? You're speaking like it's impossible when the business case has already been shown to stack up. The tide of public support is turning in favour of it. It is in no one's interest to have the team fall over.
Because its only partially funded - up to about $750M when it is likely to cost twice that. The Federal government support is not for an AFL stadium, it is to redevelop the Mac Point site, of which a stadium is only supposed to be a part of the deal. Like, it is supposed to have community housing, etc at Regatta Point.

The current state government is governing in minority. You know what that means don't you - hanging by a thread and some reluctant goodwill. Our next parliament will have 10 additional seats with the big question being will any party win sufficient seats to form a majority government. Seems very doubtful. In those circumstances who is going to spend precious dollars when we have so many other really urgent, serious underfunded problems.

The stadium hasn't been designed yet. It may not even fit there. Latest problem? Its on partially reclaimed land and water is less than 3 metres below the road. No one should be surprised about that either since its never been a secret when it was reclaimed by mid 1850s.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'd love a team and a stadium. The AFL could do it, easily, but they won't. We are not nearly important enough, can't add to the "market" or "commercial" growth, blah, blah, blah. They have insulted us by insisting we pay for something that we can't do at present. They know that. Our entire history has been brief periods of prosperity and long periods of stagnation. We are not prospering just now.

Even though I hated the Giants last week when they beat us I am back on their bandwagon now, hopefully they can knock off Port tonight.

I've been really impressed with what Kingsley has done with them, he has got them playing a great brand of footy that stands up in finals.

We didn't play that well but the Giants didn't allow us to play that well either, if they can play like they did last week they should beat Port.

Jeaus Wilks got panted by Toby Greene last week.
The highlights shown prior to tonight's game was telling. Never seen him so badly beaten.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because its only partially funded - up to about $750M when it is likely to cost twice that. The Federal government support is not for an AFL stadium, it is to redevelop the Mac Point site, of which a stadium is only supposed to be a part of the deal. Like, it is supposed to have community housing, etc at Regatta Point.

The current state government is governing in minority. You know what that means don't you - hanging by a thread and some reluctant goodwill. Our next parliament will have 10 additional seats with the big question being will any party win sufficient seats to form a majority government. Seems very doubtful. In those circumstances who is going to spend precious dollars when we have so many other really urgent, serious underfunded problems.

The stadium hasn't been designed yet. It may not even fit there. Latest problem? Its on partially reclaimed land and water is less than 3 metres below the road. No one should be surprised about that either since its never been a secret when it was reclaimed by mid 1850s.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'd love a team and a stadium. The AFL could do it, easily, but they won't. We are not nearly important enough, can't add to the "market" or "commercial" growth, blah, blah, blah. They have insulted us by insisting we pay for something that we can't do at present. They know that. Our entire history has been brief periods of prosperity and long periods of stagnation. We are not prospering just now.

There is also subsidy for the team, which is for 10 years. What happens after 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back