Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it’s breaking code
They’re dodging positive results and if there is one not reporting it lol

Imagine it was peds and teams were microdosing and testing to make sure it was out the system quick

This is huge
They’re not dodging positive results, they’re not playing games of football. If you don’t play football, you don’t get tested for match day substances

So I take something that’s performance enhancing according to wada get done privately they cover it up I fake an injury and don’t play that week… in case it’s still in my system on Fri night when I play and it’s now Thursday?
there’s nothing wrong with this?

Maybe I can train on some performance enhancing stuff mid week and be clean for game day… all good, didn’t test positive

Its just coke that we know of
I mean there’s never been ped use at all in the league

Usually when s**t gets out there’s a lot more actually happening

Yeah, I'm also keen to hear from WADA.

I think this is more about illicit substances than steroids etc where you couldn't get around that with a fake injury.

So I take something that’s performance enhancing according to wada get done privately they cover it up I fake an injury and don’t play that week… in case it’s still in my system on Fri night when I play and it’s now Thursday?
there’s nothing wrong with this?

Maybe I can train on some performance enhancing stuff mid week and be clean for game day… all good, didn’t test positive

Its just coke that we know of
I mean there’s never been ped use at all in the league

Usually when s**t gets out there’s a lot more actually happening
WADA don’t care if you take cocaine on a week day, so long as it’s not in your system on game day. That’s why this is a non issue. It’s testing positive for a drug they don’t care about, and then not playing in the game when having that substance in you would actually matter.

It’s really bizarre seeing all the hand wringing over this, it’s not a big deal at all.

WADA don’t care if you take cocaine on a week day, so long as it’s not in your system on game day. That’s why this is a non issue. It’s testing positive for a drug they don’t care about, and then not playing in the game when having that substance in you would actually matter.

It’s really bizarre seeing all the hand wringing over this, it’s not a big deal at all.
A ckub knowing about players using prohibited drugs in season and fudging medical reports to avoid breaching the WADA code isn’t a big deal?

I think the whole “football players use drugs” is about as revelatory as the sky is blue and water is wet but the admin, ckub and potentially AFL itself being involved in an elaborate scheme to avoid players testing positive, bearing in mind that policy also has a player welfare element, is absolutely a big deal.

A ckub knowing about players using prohibited drugs in season and fudging medical reports to avoid breaching the WADA code isn’t a big deal?

I think the whole “football players use drugs” is about as revelatory as the sky is blue and water is wet but the admin, ckub and potentially AFL itself being involved in an elaborate scheme to avoid players testing positive, bearing in mind that policy also has a player welfare element, is absolutely a big deal.

The fudging of medical reports isn't to avoid breaching the WADA code.

WADA doesn't care if we report a player missing for cocaine use as long as they don't play while they have it in their system.

Fudging reports are the AFL and clubs trying to maintain their reputations. (Possibly also to protect the players privacy)

The fudging of medical reports isn't to avoid breaching the WADA code.

WADA doesn't care if we report a player missing for cocaine use as long as they don't play while they have it in their system.

Fudging reports are the AFL and clubs trying to maintain their reputations. (Possibly also to protect the players privacy)
I think that’s the grey area though.

Legitimate reasons for missing a gameday test etc.

I suspect it can be explained away (as in agree that won’t be a breach) but it’s fundamental to the system and welfare process.

AFL’s statement here:
As well as being a signatory to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code via the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code, the AFL has an Illicit Drug Policy which has been in place since 2005, and at the core of the policy is a commitment to player wellbeing and welfare.

The AFL Illicit Drug Policy (IDP) is a policy that specifically deals with the use of illicit substances out of competition and is focussed on player health and well-being. The policy seeks to reduce substance use and drug-related harms for AFL players and aims to inform and rehabilitate players through education and intervention.

It exists alongside and in addition to the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code which covers prohibited substances including some illicit substances in competition as prescribed by the WADA prohibited list.

Urine tests conducted by doctors to determine if a player has used illicit substances are part of the AFL’s Illicit Drug Policy medical model and have been for some time.

Doctors may use those urine tests to obtain an immediate result to determine whether any illicit substance remains in a player’s system. This is normally conducted at the club or in the doctors consulting rooms.

If the test shows a substance is still in the players system, a doctor will take steps to prevent a player from taking part in either training and/or an AFL match both for their own health and welfare and because having illicit substances in your system on match day may be deemed performance enhancing and a breach of the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code (depending on the substance involved).

It is absolutely imperative that no doctor or club official should ever allow or encourage a player to take the field knowing they have recently taken an illicit substance that may be harmful to their health and/or may be deemed performance-enhancing (as many illicit substances are on match day).

We support the WADA code (as it applies to our sport through the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code) and support the fundamental premise on which it is founded that any player who takes the field with a performance-enhancing prohibited substance in their system should be treated in accordance with the Anti-Doping Code and face heavy sanctions.

The AFL observes that AFL players are not immune to the societal issues faced by young people with respect to illicit substances and also acknowledges that illicit drug use problems commonly co-occur with other mental health conditions.

While the AFL’s medical model involves a multidisciplinary healthcare management plan, the monitoring of players is highly confidential. A doctor or healthcare professional generally cannot disclose the nature of the clinical intervention or condition to others unless the player willingly consents.

We understand that the Illicit Drugs Policy can be improved and we are working with the AFLPA and players to improve the policy and the system to ensure we are better able to change the behaviours of players. But we are unapologetic about club and AFL doctors taking the correct steps to ensure that any player who they believe has an illicit substance in their system does not take part in any AFL match and that doctor patient confidentially is upheld and respected.

The AFL will always be required to make decisions which seek to balance competing rights and interests. The medical interests and welfare of players is a priority for the AFL given everything we know about the risks facing young people generally and those who play our game in particular.

Just for ref since I did look up ASADA and WADA instances for the Essendon saga, so these are from 2015 docs...

AFL docs re illicit;
Players.
Coaches & official staff.
Officers of.

1711502209421.png
1711502238513.png

Mirrored with and club officials shall educate and also not be on gear because that'd royally suck, please reference these programs if you suck the fat one and lets hope the medical rep also isn't on the gear into...

1711502358337.png

So AFL wise is within to take off shore, do in house, do it in a pink tutu, speak in tongues, state it plainly, spin, nothing but spin in circles and sweep under rugs. They're good at giving themselves an out and creating fall guys to blame. So AFL illicit drug doc, is straight trash, included errors on there to boot, literally "error; reference not found..." printed in bold. They were probably sniffing when writing that damned document and fudged a link.

Then we move onto WADA, again 2015 code.

I'll just skip the usual definition and intent and don't F with us or we'll bend you over type instances to
1711502594674.png

TLDR being local instances like ASADA, remember those dodgy pricks? They be all "give us samples" if something pings WADA can be all "oi ASADA, you're dodgy, give us the samples" and then they test it and hand down sanction. This includes things for therapeutic instances and what is considered a violation obviously.

Not snipping it as big document but following this is the statement that any athlete can be tested at any time by the testing authority that has authority over them (ASADA/AFL) and this can happen at any place. THEN there is a condition for in event testing.

So local ASADA and AFL "this is legit bro and we've always done it this way" if WADA pull the AFL's "no you" trick to STFU, those two previous mobs bend over and take it or they get booted from global instances and lose accreditation if they no longer follow aspects of that code.

So hopefully this educates on how entities work and why if WADA pull a string, the toy soldiers fall down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a "Andrew Wilkie Took the Bait from Glen Bartlett for His Own (Wilkie's) Political Reasons To Further Bartlett's Extremely Bitter and Vindictive Vendetta Against the MFC' news day.
All they have to do is investigate if any people were positive and if they were take action - Bartlett would know everything about that club having being in charge of the club for such a long period of time.
If it's all bull well he gets sued big time and could well be a jail time in it as well.

This is a complete non story.

Slow news day?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be fair if ONE player was caught doing gear it would be a story.

This is an MP with a former club doctor saying there was a system in place to facilitate wide spread drug use at a club that won a flag 3 years ago…

It’s definitely a story by anyone’s measure.

Last edited:
At a bare minimum I think we should receive possession of Petracca, as our list manager was clearly high at the time - no doubt enabled by the horrible environment cultivated by the AFL
No, that would be unfair to Melbourne. They should at least be entitled to Paddy McCartin. After all, that's who they should've got.

It might spell an end of the increasingly popular term used by clubs, "Managed."

They might have to invent another one to stop the obvious public speculation in the future.

In reality this should be a Melbourne Storm type penalty, play for no points this year and if its proven this dates back to their flag, strip it.

In all likelihood given the AFL seems to be implicit in it, big fine and probably some late draft picks stripped.
this isn't just a melbourne problem... it's a league problem.

we've had players who have sat out games and missed large chunks of the season in very dubious circumstances.

Someone shouts Fire and everyone panics.

A couple of players on the nosebeers and SEN turns into boomers corner from 3 AW tut tutting about the fall of western civilisation.
Jesus Christ.

the problem is a "couple of players on the nosebeers" has turned into a couple of dead players who's lives were completely ruined. i know of one player who had no issues. he was drafted into a club with known issues. he didn't choose to go to this club. he was drafted into it. so your choice at that point is follow your dream or sit it out. he enters the club which has a player who was completely off the rails. they then paired him up with that player as his mentor. these guys are in a very vulnerable position. i mean one player didnt wanna take a *in ice bath and he had the club go at him publicly. so you have to go in there, shut the * up, learn and obey. in the end he was addicted to drugs and the club washed their hands clean of him. there was very little assistance available. that player ended up committing suicide completely discarded by the system with no help.

not every player gets the "ben cousins" treatment and is offered support over and over and over again. most are discarded without any help.

it's very easy to minimise it but the reality is there's a cultural problem within the AFL due to their need to protect the brand. it creates a vacuum where young men who are very vulnerable to the leaders around them can easily be lead down the wrong path. you cannot tell which players will be "fine" with illicit substances and which ones will not.

its worth noting this is very different to normal society. you don't like the place you work, you quit and find another job. you can't just quit an AFL club and find another job in the same industry. that coupled with the high income means you don't really have another option. i mean how many 18 years olds relocate to another city for a job on 200k+ where the majority of their colleagues will be one even more money between the ages of 18-32. its very "not normal".

Last edited:
To be fair if ONE player was caught doing gear it would be a story.

This is an MP with a former club doctor saying there was a system in place to facilitate wide spread drug use at a club that won a flag 3 years ago…

It’s definitely a story by anyone’s measure.

health issues aside there's a huge conflict of interest here. the government has provided the AFL with a non for profit status and showered them in tax payers money. hell you have state governments pouring money into some teams to promote "healthy" life styles.

bit rich if you have a system in place to enable something the government has decided is illegal.

this isn't just a melbourne problem... it's a league problem.

we've had players who have sat out games and missed large chunks of the season in very dubious circumstances.
Yeh i mean i think its broader than the league too but my point was more around if proven then Melbourne as a club is going to have to cop some punitive penalty.

This is a complete non story.

Slow news day?

What I love from it is, we literally had people beating up and abusing women straight, 100% that got covered up which has a document that is all "thou shall not physically assault the female persuasion", Benny boy and the Eagles culture almost directly linked to Mainwaring being dead, and all Benny did was piss off to Richmond so he could punch on in a pub about morals.

Yet, people only got a bit iffy when Essendon did the deed as maybe hmm bit suss moving on, and people are only maybe on the fence re illicit and if it's good, bad, meh as if this is any different for the code when previously it was "drink till you are sloshed in a gutter punching on with cars". Swings and roundabouts.

Just, I make no secret cricket is my first love, I mean lol Shoab, just lol, but I would find it hilarious if the AFL lost several contracts because of this. Bush league here we come whether we want to or not, go you good thing! None of this faux professional bullshit you've been peddling for decades, straight here's muh balls have a lick and suck it. You wanna head a dept and diddle your secretary, go for it so long as it's consensual... have a bag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back