List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely don’t understand this logic. He would be worth a second rounder, prob 25-30 range. Even if he was worth a late first pick, I’d take cam at the level he is at now for the rest of his career over a pick, which could turn out to be Ely Smith.

He is best 22 and a solid contributor. Even if you don’t think he has any upside, which I’d disagree with.
I don’t know whether you can say Cam is a solid contributor. Against North, he kicked no goals, had no goal assists, had no clearances and only had three kicks for the match.

Genuinely don’t understand this logic. He would be worth a second rounder, prob 25-30 range. Even if he was worth a late first pick, I’d take cam at the level he is at now for the rest of his career over a pick, which could turn out to be Ely Smith.

He is best 22 and a solid contributor. Even if you don’t think he has any upside, which I’d disagree with.
I’m thinking more in terms of freeing up salary cap space. I don’t know how long he is signed for, but I am assuming he is on reasonable coin. We are going to want to or need to stump up to keep McCluggage and eventually the next ‘generation’ of players like Will Ashcroft, Wilmott, Fletcher, Lohmann and others will be looking for a deal. Only so much of the pie to go around.

I don’t know whether you can say Cam is a solid contributor. Against North, he kicked no goals, had no goal assists, had no clearances and only had three kicks for the match.
Don’t forget his one tackle in the last quarter.

I don’t think you can use one game to demonstrate whether he is a solid contributor

Three goals in his last six games, including last year's Grand Final and Preliminary Final, while playing 70% forward isn't a good contribution.

His issue is consistency rather than what he can contribute. Every team in the comp would take Cam as a stock good contributing AFL player.

Didn’t he kick 3 alone in the Port final? Or you didn’t count that one.

Last edited:
My concern with Cam is his hands. Inside less one touch than two, so his handballls are late. Flies for a lot of marks, and takes none. Todd Banfield like.

Also, the fact he still does not have a clear cut role yet is not beneficial either, IMO.

The time that we have to cut our losses is approaching.

We won't be getting a pick we could use really either, given Ashcroft and Marshall etc.

My concern with Cam is his hands. Inside less one touch than two, so his handballls are late. Flies for a lot of marks, and takes none. Todd Banfield like.

Also, the fact he still does not have a clear cut role yet is not beneficial either, IMO.

The time that we have to cut our losses is approaching.

It’s true, he gets a good chunk of it when he goes for marks but never holds it. It’s like Bailey trying to break a tackle.

I always thought Rohan Bewick would take multiple marks of the year, he could get up high but never managed to grab one.
1712437414335.png

Rayner only has 9 plus 20 disposal games out of 116 AFL appearances. I feel for the young bloke, at no stage has he been afforded the opportunity to run around in the 2s and get 30 plus for a month, grab some monster marks and build his decision making/confidence. From day dot he was thrown in the deep end and not provided the opportunity to develop. He is not an idiot, he knows his output is nowhere near good enough, then he gets rewarded with fat contracts and a spot on the 9 man leadership team. * me! I bet he ends up somewhere else, wins a flag and then writes in his memoirs how the Lions were too soft on him and afforded him too many opportunities. There will be a tough love period at his next club, and he will then thrive or become a suburban goal kicking legend.

I’m thinking more in terms of freeing up salary cap space. I don’t know how long he is signed for, but I am assuming he is on reasonable coin. We are going to want to or need to stump up to keep McCluggage and eventually the next ‘generation’ of players like Will Ashcroft, Wilmott, Fletcher, Lohmann and others will be looking for a deal. Only so much of the pie to go around.
Obviously have no idea what coin Cam is on, but a former #1 draft pick, at times game breaker and aspirations (when signing the contract) to be a midfielder, I would think he would currently be on a decent amount. Even allowing for the extra salary cap space with the latest CBA, I think Cam's next contract in length and dollars will reflect where he is currently at.

Obviously have no idea what coin Cam is on, but a former #1 draft pick, at times game breaker and aspirations (when signing the contract) to be a midfielder, I would think he would currently be on a decent amount. Even allowing for the extra salary cap space with the latest CBA, I think Cam's next contract in length and dollars will reflect where he is currently at.
Is he at Free Agency at the end of his contract!
If he gets decent offers elsewhere, I can see us not matching if he doesn’t lift his output. Similar to the McStay lowball offer we put to him.
I can understand him being a bit down at the moment with some personal stuff going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he at Free Agency at the end of his contract!
If he gets decent offers elsewhere, I can see us not matching if he doesn’t lift his output. Similar to the McStay lowball offer we put to him.
I can understand him being a bit down at the moment with some personal stuff going on.
Yes Cam is a Restricted Free Agent at the end of the 2025 season, same as Charlie Cameron, Brandon Starcevich and Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner will be an Unrestricted Free Agent.

We will have some tough decisions to make over the next couple of years. Those decisions will be tougher if we don’t find that flag. I’d be a little disappointed if we don’t have $$ to give McCluggage and Berry competitive offers.

Wasn't it Bulldogs megastar (and Lions 'great player') Justin Sherman who once told us that great players have one role to do and do it well ... sadly we have kept Cam from reaching Justins dizzy heights!

Shouldn’t expect anything from the mid-season draft but I wonder if we could target a professional sub.

Looks like more teams are using older, past their prime midfielders tactically as the sub to give their teams a boost.

Lyons worked ok at times last year but isn’t very damaging

Shouldn’t expect anything from the pre-season draft but I wonder if we could target a professional sub.

Looks like more teams are using older, past their prime midfielders tactically as the sub to give their teams a boost.

Lyons worked ok at times last year but isn’t very damaging

I wonder if Boyd Woodcock is taking AFL more seriously this year. Definitely has AFL talent but the application has always been his issue. 24 so a good age of he's ready to apply himself.

I think there is no reason the club can't get a good or very good player from the VFL that fits our needs.
You would think a player would be up for a move interstate to get a go at AFL.
Just not a project player like Kalin Lane in 2021.
Need someone to fit into the current makeup of our side now.

SCOREBOARD​

SANFL 1.1 5.2 8.4 10.5 (65)
VFL 3.2 5.4 5.5 7.9 (51)

BEST – SANFL: McLennan, Grant, Hosie, Proud, Wigg, Callow, Voss
VFL: Brown, Woodcock, Brew, Long
GOALS – SANFL: Hosie 4, McBean 2, Allen, Callow, Lowe, Reynolds
VFL: Long 2, Bianco, Crossley, Dixon, Smith, Woodcock

I think there is no reason the club can't get a good or very good player from the VFL that fits our needs.
You would think a player would be up for a move interstate to get a go at AFL.
Just not a project player like Kalin Lane in 2021.
Need someone to fit into the current makeup of our side now.

SCOREBOARD​

SANFL 1.1 5.2 8.4 10.5 (65)
VFL 3.2 5.4 5.5 7.9 (51)

BEST – SANFL: McLennan, Grant, Hosie, Proud, Wigg, Callow, Voss
VFL: Brown, Woodcock, Brew, Long
GOALS – SANFL: Hosie 4, McBean 2, Allen, Callow, Lowe, Reynolds
VFL: Long 2, Bianco, Crossley, Dixon, Smith, Woodcock

I think you need to temper your expectations. They’re mostly duds who have recently been delisted

I had a look through the mid season thread on the draft board and it's a pretty uninspiring list of players being put up as possible draftees.

If we do look at getting a mature ager in during the mid season draft I think as suggested above Boyd Woodcock would be as good as anyone else available, he is on the smaller side though but can find the ball and is handy around goal. He could play a role for us if we happen to suffer a midfield injury or 2, our depth is not all that good re mids.

Brayden Crossley is definitely worth a look.

Back