Votes: 26 20.5%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Walters and Neale were picks in the 50’s as was Luke Ryan
Just because we've hit late picks in the draft before it doesn't excuse us not investing into forwards.

Our forward line this year, apart from Amiss has been: Emmett (41), Walters (54), Freddy (61), Switta (71), Banfield (rookie), Taberner (rookie), Treacy (rookie). The forward line has always been an afterthought and it shows.

I reserve judgment on our forward line until Darcy is back and Jacko is mainly forward which means Treacy is 100% forward. Jacko over Tabs completely changes the look. Tabs obviously has Zero ground game and has questionable leading patterns. JJJ have trained all pre season together and I think their threat will assist the small players games too.

We don't look that young on paper but when you realise it is Taberner, Hughes, JoM, Fyfe and Walters dragging our age up and not doing much you realise how young we are. Only 2 of them aren't B22 and 1 other really shouldn't be on performance.

AP, Ryan and Aish are the only clear B22 in their peaks and it shows.

Not sure Motlop is the guy though, it's painful watching slow forwards getting run-off by quick defenders and Motlop doesn't appear to be particularly quick.

Motlop isn’t particularly quick but that Walters guy has had a pretty good career and is even slower.

At pick 60??? That just shows how much they didn't value drafting a small forward. Wallzy is brilliant but he loves his bargain bin players a little too much. Players in that range are more likely to fail then have long careers. Delean looks promising but he is a long way off it.

Pick 60 is irrelevant. What is relevant is where we rated him in our draft order

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure Cameron from brizzy is someone we'd be targeting

Peak Cameron yes, but will be 31 by start of next season

I'd have a throw at the stumps at Weightman, could be a chance if the dogs sign on English and or miss the 8, they may see the top end picks as a shot to reload

Doubtful but

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yet people s**t their pants at giving two firsts for McDonald
If you are watching Treacy play surely you are questioning if we should trade for McDonald? Treacy literally has McDonald covered on every aspect except for elite endurance and height. It's still early in the season but if Treacy maintains his form I would prefer to bundle our picks and grab the best small/medium forwards out there.

We need quality smalls. For now we have to possibly reinvent Wagner and Stanley as small options it’s that dire.

It’s not that dire when we haven’t even tried Simpson and Declean yet. Sturt hasn’t played yet either.

Wagner was delisted twice as a small forward. Let’s not ruin him again and make it three times.

Stanley is developing okay as a winger. I see no reason to change that.

Give the actual small/medium forwards a go before potentially ruining the careers of players that play in other positions. And address it years end whether some of the players above go well or not.

Last edited:
It’s not that dire when we haven’t even tried Simpson and Declean yet. Sturt hasn’t played yet either.

Wagner was delisted twice as a small forward. Let’s not ruin him again and make it three times.

Give the actual small/medium forwards a go before potentially ruining the careers of players that play in other positions.
My concern is that we need the experience of Fyfe and Walters to win a premiership. I doubt either will be on our list after 2025. We therefore, need a small forward ready to go soon.

Give the actual small/medium forwards a go before potentially ruining the careers of players that play in other positions.
Sturt has spent six years on the list. If he was any good he'd be a regular by now. He's a write off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't look that young on paper but when you realise it is Taberner, Hughes, JoM, Fyfe and Walters dragging our age up and not doing much you realise how young we are. Only 2 of them aren't B22 and 1 other really shouldn't be on performance.

AP, Ryan and Aish are the only clear B22 in their peaks and it shows.

Not sure Motlop is the guy though, it's painful watching slow forwards getting run-off by quick defenders and Motlop doesn't appear to be particularly quick.
We must be just about the only club whose best 22 is not our oldest 22

At pick 60??? That just shows how much they didn't value drafting a small forward. Wallzy is brilliant but he loves his bargain bin players a little too much. Players in that range are more likely to fail then have long careers. Delean looks promising but he is a long way off it.
Very few small forwards are high draft picks. It's a very speculative pick, Walters at 52, Charlie Cameron pick 7 in the 2013 rookie draft, Papley, pick 16 in the 2016 rookie draft!
There's a reason small forwards do not go for high picks. Nick Watson is a rare counter example.

The thing with small forwards is they can tend to play pretty early. And you can often get the highest rated ones at the end of the first round after everyone else has gone for mids and talls

For mine the best small forwards in this draft say (Kako or Champion if you want run to run WA for some reason) are on track to be LESS developed than Delean was at the end of the year. Even if we thought they were worth a first round and drafted them, there is little chance they are going to be playing regularly next year in the seniors. We are more likely to end up with a new small forward coming from Simpson or Delean (both whom I think have more potential than either of than any of the small forwards in this years draft anyway) or a mature age type like Emmett.

This will go down like concrete boots in a pool but dont shoot me its just a suggestion in a different team where he is given a licence to go for goals and mature enough with experience now

Jack Petruccelle​

🤢

Seriously tho , that head …. It’s far too punchable to be anywhere near our club*

* I actually see your logic but no ,better options around plus we don’t trade with WC

We need some class. With ball in hand, not off-field. With that in mind I'd target Tarryn Thomas in MSD if possible.

His behaviour is sooo bad and well documented that I don't think it's possible to influence the boys at the club. We need pace and skill forward of the ball at Thomas as HHF/wing would be a good incremental addition for low cost

We’re still quite young. As I said before the season started I think there’s enough talent that there’s no excuse to finish bottom six but we can’t be expected to finish top four yet. Also got to remember we had a fair chunk of our best 22 out yesterday and in some cases their direct replacement are also injured.

Most of those problems you’ve listed will be sorted out if we do a good job developing what’s already on our list. Even guys like Amiss, Treacy and Chapman, Johnson who’ve shown a bit already have plenty of time to get much better.

Small forward is the clear gap in our emerging talent and needs to be addressed. We can start at the MSD but even if the right player is available I’d go again at season’s end.

Jesse Motlop might be the one to look at. I know a lot won’t rate him in here but easy to forgot he’s a third year small forward. In his season year his numbers were good for a second year small forward. Probably one for 2025.

You also don’t pass the opportunity to sign someone like Baker when you’ve got what could be four picks inside 40.

I know we are young, but I think a lot of our issues are not our young players.

OMeara, Walters, Banfield and Hughes should not be in our best 25, but all are.

Kuek, Reidy or Knobel (One of) , Sturt (Unless he has a big year), Corbett, Tabs, O'Driscoll are all in trouble unless they show something.

Fyfe is at the back end of his career, and will need replacing shortly.

I think we need 2 or 3 free agents over the next 2 or 3 years, to allow us to delist some list cloggers.

Very few small forwards are high draft picks. It's a very speculative pick, Walters at 52, Charlie Cameron pick 7 in the 2013 rookie draft, Papley, pick 16 in the 2016 rookie draft!
There's a reason small forwards do not go for high picks. Nick Watson is a rare counter example.
While there may be some truth to this, generally the higher the draft pick for a small forward the more they are likely to succeed. Rochelle went at pick 6, Pickett at 12, Weightman at 15, Zak Bailey at 15. The small forwards become more speculative the further you get from the first round IMO. I'm happy to say that Delean looks like he will prove your point but we need another small forward on the list.

Back