• McDonald

Votes: 26 20.5%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Very few small forwards are high draft picks. It's a very speculative pick, Walters at 52, Charlie Cameron pick 7 in the 2013 rookie draft, Papley, pick 16 in the 2016 rookie draft!
There's a reason small forwards do not go for high picks. Nick Watson is a rare counter example.
While there may be some truth to this, generally the higher the draft pick for a small forward the more they are likely to succeed. Rochelle went at pick 6, Pickett at 12, Weightman at 15, Zak Bailey at 15. The small forwards become more speculative the further you get from the first round IMO. I'm happy to say that Delean looks like he will prove your point but we need another small forward on the list.

I think over the last 5 years, they are rated a lot higher and tend to go earlier.

A lot go in the first 1 or 2 rounds, I certainly hope we use 1 or 2 of our first round picks on small forwards.

Surely getting Zurharr and Yeo instantly improved us (and any other West Coast free agents that are worthwhile).

If we want to be up and about we need to maximise free agents.

Then ideally don't use all our picks / get creative with them without losing much and suddenly we're starting down the barrel of three good players coming in + draft picks before Tassie comes in.

(And Baker just kicked goal as I was typing this lol).

Liam Baker torching Eagles early. Not that its hard 😏

I'd also argue Sonny is not finished as yet. I think he has been close checked the last two weeks, after running riot against Adelaide, as our only real non key foward threat and by far the most damaging of our players taking it inside 50. (We're playing one too many pressure forwards for mine.)
I was at at the game last night and he wasn’t close checked at all. He was slow, second to the ball or fell over.

Our defensive game is good enough to blunt the best attacks in the league, we just need a touch more polish ahead of the ball. Two or three players could be added to that forward line to seize their moments and we would be unbeaten so far.

We have the picks to buy players if we need to, I don't care if we trade all the first round picks if it means we field quality forwards and don't lose anyone else end of the season.

It does look like we are trying to harass the opposition more, aiming for marks and then breaking even with the spillages in hope for a shot at goal.

It's the right play if our talls are marking. We could really do with our midfielders finishing better.

Banfield will be ruing his missed opportunities. I can't help but daydream of a player like Rachelle or Rankine who kicks goals out of nowhere - but we really need two of them so the one who isn't tagged like Walters is able to get loose.
They'll have to shake a few loose if we're chasing or end up with your Warner/Baker types (or whoever). Personally, I think we need forwards the most now, a classy small and maybe a medium tall like a Fritsch (not that they grow on trees). I'd be reticent to go to the draft (especially with all 3 picks) as they need developing, so it depends on who might be available. I think Sturt is more unlikely than likely to make it here at this stage, sadly. Not only will it boil down to personnel places they're taking, but wages too. Or salary cap. Freo can't keep everyone, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade.

Motlop isn’t particularly quick but that Walters guy has had a pretty good career and is even slower.

Is he as talented as Walters though? Sonny has literally every other good trait for a small forward/mid.

We must be just about the only club whose best 22 is not our oldest 22

100%

It's a serious issues and one of the main reasons we under-performed last year. We got almost nothing from any of them for a variety of reasons.

I know Tabs, Hughes and JoM were never that good and are all fringe/depth but imagine the difference 90% peak Walters and Fyfe would make.

We should poach whoever is responsible for keeping Geelong's dad's army out there and performing well into their 30s.

Last edited:
Just because we've hit late picks in the draft before it doesn't excuse us not investing into forwards.

Our forward line this year, apart from Amiss has been: Emmett (41), Walters (54), Freddy (61), Switta (71), Banfield (rookie), Taberner (rookie), Treacy (rookie). The forward line has always been an afterthought and it shows.
Pearce, Ryan, Cox, Walker and Hughes would be amongst the cheapest set of drafted defenders going around. Bargain basement prices.

Pearce, Ryan, Cox, Walker and Hughes would be amongst the cheapest set of drafted defenders going around. Bargain basement prices.
Defence is the one area of the ground where I just can't understand dropping first round picks on, especially Key Defenders. All of ours were picked up late, and we saw that even McDonald who was grabbed as a DFA was more than competent. Adelaide wanting to trade the world for Petty was crazy.

Defence is the one area of the ground where I just can't understand dropping first round picks on, especially Key Defenders. All of ours were picked up late, and we saw that even McDonald who was grabbed as a DFA was more than competent. Adelaide wanting to trade the world for Petty was crazy.
Very small exceptions in someone like Taylor who is a mile ahead of the next best in his position

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on going all out for Sam Taylor next year and playing Cox as a Fulltime Forward. He could offer exactly the same as Mcdonald would have

Just because we've hit late picks in the draft before it doesn't excuse us not investing into forwards.

Our forward line this year, apart from Amiss has been: Emmett (41), Walters (54), Freddy (61), Switta (71), Banfield (rookie), Taberner (rookie), Treacy (rookie). The forward line has always been an afterthought and it shows.
I mean, our backline has been a mix of Moose (37), Ryan (66), Clark (15, paid 23), Aish (7, paid less than a 2nd rounder) Hughes (rookie) Draper (Cat B rookie) Cox (41) Worner (rookie) Walker (50) Mcdonald (53, paid 0 as DFA)

So like Clark is a high pick and we still paid a high pick for him, (Aish was also a high pick but he had 8 years of showing he wasn't a high pick by the time we got to him)

So like Idno, our backline seems fine without investing in it

EDIT: should have read on, someone ended up pointing this out lol

I know we are young, but I think a lot of our issues are not our young players.

OMeara, Walters, Banfield and Hughes should not be in our best 25, but all are.

Kuek, Reidy or Knobel (One of) , Sturt (Unless he has a big year), Corbett, Tabs, O'Driscoll are all in trouble unless they show something.

Fyfe is at the back end of his career, and will need replacing shortly.

I think we need 2 or 3 free agents over the next 2 or 3 years, to allow us to delist some list cloggers.
Sturt is frustrating. Mid last year I said he needed to lift his game to stay on the list long term. Second half of the year he did but here we are in a different year and it's back to square one.

I genuinely think every team in the competition has a player or two at a similar level to Banfield, Hughes, Walters, JOM etc. Especially the washed up veterans that opposition fans think are good but actually haven't been for 2-3 years - We're those opposition fans when it isn't Freo.

And yes, it is a problem all four are playing - only Banfield (maybe) and Walters should be. Hughes is there because Chapman isn't - no other reason.

Sturt is frustrating. Mid last year I said he needed to lift his game to stay on the list long term. Second half of the year he did but here we are in a different year and it's back to square one.

I genuinely think every team in the competition has a player or two at a similar level to Banfield, Hughes, Walters, JOM etc. Especially the washed up veterans that opposition fans think are good but actually haven't been for 2-3 years - We're those opposition fans when it isn't Freo.

And yes, it is a problem all four are playing - only Banfield (maybe) and Walters should be. Hughes is there because Chapman isn't - no other reason.
I think Hughes know he is there because Chapman isn't
Taberner knows he had to prove himself and that Darcy will replace them

I am grateful we have players that know their role is to fill in for others, and they can only play with the skills/talent they have

We don't look that young on paper but when you realise it is Taberner, Hughes, JoM, Fyfe and Walters dragging our age up and not doing much you realise how young we are. Only 2 of them aren't B22 and 1 other really shouldn't be on performance.

AP, Ryan and Aish are the only clear B22 in their peaks and it shows.

Not sure Motlop is the guy though, it's painful watching slow forwards getting run-off by quick defenders and Motlop doesn't appear to be particularly quick.
And not great man-on -man from the little I have seen of him.

Sturt has spent six years on the list. If he was any good he'd be a regular by now. He's a write off.
He is good when he is fit. Which isn't often unfortunately. It is his lack of availability that will cost him not his ability. He has just come off an op. Bit hard to be a regular under those circumstances.

I was at at the game last night and he wasn’t close checked at all. He was slow, second to the ball or fell over.
Not sure he can back up week after week. Couching staff need to bite the bullet and rest him some weeks. Especially when Freddie and Sturt become available and possibly Cooper and Delean later in the season.

Perhaps we could have some interest in Bailey Smith with our WB connections.

Story goes Bailey Smith’s dr wrote a letter in his draft year saying moving interstate would adversely effect Smith’s mental health or something like that.
Things can change but with the above and no shortage of takers in VIC I can’t see him coming here.

Not sure Cameron from brizzy is someone we'd be targeting

Peak Cameron yes, but will be 31 by start of next season

I'd have a throw at the stumps at Weightman, could be a chance if the dogs sign on English and or miss the 8, they may see the top end picks as a shot to reload

Doubtful but

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cameron at 31 is still very dangerous and if he’s available I’m taking that trade. Has the speed and nous around goal that Freo is lacking.

I’m all for throwing the kitchen sink at Warner. Need a mid who hits the scoreboard and Brayshaw and Serong still lack that quality of their game.

Back