• McDonald

Votes: 26 20.5%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

0% chance Smith is moving here when he has multiple Vic suitors. Literally 0% unless we roll out $2m a year or something stupid like that. Doubly so given we can't even guarantee him mid time either.

I'd take Cameron as a FA on medium coin but no chance I'm throwing large salary or draft capital at a dude who might only have 1 or 2 good year left.

We need some options that are going to play 6-8 years with the core of the team. We're not on some last chance saloon here.

Last edited:
Disagree with this theory that small forwards are drafted mostly with late picks. In recent few drafts we have had:
Rankine - pick 3
Rachele - pick 6
Watson - pick 5
Weightman - pick 15
Pickett - pick 12
Gothard (yet to play) - pick 12
Bobby hill - pick 23
Brent Daniels - pick 28

Very few small forwards are high draft picks. It's a very speculative pick, Walters at 52, Charlie Cameron pick 7 in the 2013 rookie draft, Papley, pick 16 in the 2016 rookie draft!
There's a reason small forwards do not go for high picks. Nick Watson is a rare counter example.

Not suggesting we should be piling in on a crumbing small forward with a top 5 pick or anything. But we have been trying to do it TOO cheaply in my opinion. Jack Delean at pick 60 - sure he might be good. But it’s speculative at best. Odd are he doesn’t make it. If he does, it will be 2 years time at least before he’s any proper use as a contributor.

It’s 16 years now since Sonny walters was drafted with pick 53. Attitudes to the draft have changed dramatically in that time.

The reality is we need a top class small forward, right now. The best chance of that is with a first round pick in 2024.
Even if we do get lucky with a late of rookie pick as a small forward, they will be 3 years developing before they are any use to us.
I’d trust walls with a top 25 pick on a good crumbing small with some X factor. We are crying out for it.

Sturt is frustrating. Mid last year I said he needed to lift his game to stay on the list long term. Second half of the year he did but here we are in a different year and it's back to square one.

I genuinely think every team in the competition has a player or two at a similar level to Banfield, Hughes, Walters, JOM etc. Especially the washed up veterans that opposition fans think are good but actually haven't been for 2-3 years - We're those opposition fans when it isn't Freo.

And yes, it is a problem all four are playing - only Banfield (maybe) and Walters should be. Hughes is there because Chapman isn't - no other reason.
Sturt's had continuity issues though. Injuries have been a hurdle for him to start this season too. Getting a serious run of games in a row will be key for him.

I don't think Motlop is in the same category as Walters in regards to being an elite skilled undersized midfielder with nous the make up for his lack of athletic gifts. I do think they both share a lack of top athletic gifts but I don't think Motlop is as skilled or as footy smart as Walters.

I maintain that our best choice for finding an elite small forward is to locate a midfielder with an elite kick who has agility and maybe some speed - but is lazy or fat or both when it comes to draft time. We should have the picks to select that player with a work ethic and in shape this year, but we usually don't.

The best small forwards are always "destined" to head to the midfield because their skill sets overlap. Most of our small forwards lately have been in the other direction - failed mids to move forward.

We want them to start forward because there were harder working U16s to U18s in the midfields ahead of them.

That's where we find a late gem.

Story goes Bailey Smith’s dr wrote a letter in his draft year saying moving interstate would adversely effect Smith’s mental health or something like that.
Things can change but with the above and no shortage of takers in VIC I can’t see him coming here.
Dunkley told Sydney not to match if a Vic team picked him

Wingard told GWS he wasn't leaving SA

Players do mature as they grow up, smith might want out of the limelight (doubt it tho)

Just because we've hit late picks in the draft before it doesn't excuse us not investing into forwards.

Our forward line this year, apart from Amiss has been: Emmett (41), Walters (54), Freddy (61), Switta (71), Banfield (rookie), Taberner (rookie), Treacy (rookie). The forward line has always been an afterthought and it shows.

That's only half the story and perpetuates a myth that we have not invested in forwards. What we have tried hasn't worked, but we have still used a lot of first round draft capital on the likes of Apeness, Bennell, McCarthy, Lobb, Hogan and Sturt. The only major blunder (once at the draft ... ignoring the Hogan pick up for example) goes back to Darling v Pitt, and that is not relevant for the current team.

Of all the options open to us for small and medium forwards I think Tyson Stengel and Cam Zuhaar are the two that may actually be achievable and would improve our list for a fair few years given their age profile.
If we got one of those plus Baker would certainly change our forward mix.
Would love Charlie Cameron though, even if it was for just a couple of years but you’d think he’d have to replace Walters if so.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Of all the options open to us for small and medium forwards I think Tyson Stengel and Cam Zuhaar are the two that may actually be achievable and would improve our list for a fair few years given their age profile.
Would love Charlie Cameron though, even if it was for just a couple of years but you’d think he’d have to replace Walters if so.

Problem with Cameron is that he could need replacing himself very quickly. All it takes for those explosive players to drop off is to lose a bit of it or start getting soft tissue injuries.

We've got JJJ for probably a decade. We need some smalls/mediums that will be around for most/all of that.

And I highly doubt we go for Stengle or Zurhaar (if you believe CTD).

Charlie Cameron would take the Freo front 6 to another level.

I know it’s mentioned but Treacy was Wayne Carey like on Saturday night. Considering where he was plucked from with little development, he’s been quite a find.

If Darcy isn’t ready this weekend I’d still drop Tabs. His input has been very average. Watched a little of the game yesterday and Barrass is either carrying an injury or simply checked out and McGovern couldn’t get close to the contests. Freo could go with a mid sized forward instead of Tabs with ease.

What about fast tracking the development of Cooper Simpson as a small forward, with a view to him moving into the midfield over time and as midfield spots open up?

And in the meantime, continue to target small forwards in the draft or via trade/free agency.

I know it’s not Cooper’s natural position, but his strengths might translate to the role and he may be waiting a while to crack the midfield.

I’m not saying to throw him into the 22 straight away, but maybe there needs to be thought given to investing 10 or so games into him this season even if he is not likely to immediately perform at the same level as Walters or Switta (either of whom he would likely come in for).

From other poster’s reports, Cooper seems more ready to have some impact at AFL level than Delean.

Last edited:
I don't think Motlop is in the same category as Walters in regards to being an elite skilled undersized midfielder with nous the make up for his lack of athletic gifts. I do think they both share a lack of top athletic gifts but I don't think Motlop is as skilled or as footy smart as Walters.

I maintain that our best choice for finding an elite small forward is to locate a midfielder with an elite kick who has agility and maybe some speed - but is lazy or fat or both when it comes to draft time. We should have the picks to select that player with a work ethic and in shape this year, but we usually don't.

The best small forwards are always "destined" to head to the midfield because their skill sets overlap. Most of our small forwards lately have been in the other direction - failed mids to move forward.

We want them to start forward because there were harder working U16s to U18s in the midfields ahead of them.

So, Simpson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunkley told Sydney not to match if a Vic team picked him

Wingard told GWS he wasn't leaving SA

Players do mature as they grow up, smith might want out of the limelight (doubt it tho)
Oh totally, situations can change though wanting a life away from the limelight would count WA out. Can you imagine WCmedia following him around.🤦🏻‍♂️
On another note, what does “draft tampering “ actually constitute? “ Don’t draft me because I don’t want to leave home” is sailing close to the wind I would have thought?🤷‍♂️

Oh totally, situations can change though wanting a life away from the limelight would count WA out. Can you imagine WCmedia following him around.🤦🏻‍♂️
On another note, what does “draft tampering “ actually constitute? “ Don’t draft me because I don’t want to leave home” is sailing close to the wind I would have thought?🤷‍♂️
Yeah it's murky af some of those interviews, realistically they can still be taken but jeez it's gotta be close to tampering.

Just feel it will take a WA player doing it for the AFL to clamp down, they're much less likely tho as only 2 teams in town.

Yeah it's murky af some of those interviews, realistically they can still be taken but jeez it's gotta be close to tampering.

Just feel it will take a WA player doing it for the AFL to clamp down, they're much less likely tho as only 2 teams in town.
Yeah definitely is “murky” Which is highly unusual for the AFL.😎

Pretty Sure Johnson and Curtin both said that to recruiters, crows didn’t even interview him until the morning of draft, so maybe they didn’t get the message?

Cameron turning 30 in 2 months...Nah...

Sounds like a Willie Rioli clone.

Watching the offensive side of butters and Rozzee on the weekend just shows we are lacking that threat from the midfield going fwd. would love one of Hugh mccluggage or Chad Warner in the offseason mixed with a Shai Bolton could easily make us a top 2 team next year I know it’s a pipe dream but feel like it’s a possibility

I hope I heard wrong!

I hope so too. For a young player that needs a bit of WAFL form to earn a spot, that could almost be season-ending as far as AFL goes. Will Phillips basically missed a whole season a few years ago. Dylan Moore was battling it over pre-season and has been pretty ordinary so far this year. Treacy had it a few years back and I reckon it set him back a fair amount.

It's pretty clear what our priorities are as a list, we have some collateral to help us get there and it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Perhaps they had a plan in mind for this year, which may or may not come to fruition.
It did, and still does, feel like we may have been better off having one higher shot last year though.

Back