Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Remove this Banner Ad

The JMac love is just a beautiful thing!!!!
His game against Freo in Perth this year was a cracking performance, he really stood up, the long ground suits his game. I fully expect him to be best on and lead us to a GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JMac getting some love is making my heart warm.

The good judges... blah blah blah #Teffy

But nah, all he needed was a good crack and he's showing why he's so respected at the club.

Given ArjenTheGreat's backflip on Jamie, I'm interested: Where does he sit for you now on hard/fast/skillful? For me he's still

* A good runner but no Atley.
* Not soft but no Turner or Garner.
* A good user but no Boomer (though I would say that's the aspect of his game that's come on the most this year).

Seriously think you need a 4th dimension - Smart. It makes up for the fact he's not outstanding necessarily outstanding at the other 3.

Given ArjenTheGreat's backflip on Jamie, I'm interested: Where does he sit for you now on hard/fast/skillful? For me he's still

* A good user but no Boomer (though I would say that's the aspect of his game that's come on the most this year).

Seriously think you need a 4th dimension - Smart. It makes up for the fact he's not outstanding necessarily outstanding at the other 3.
I put him in a similar mould to cunnington.

Not necessarily outstanding in any major aspects, very good at some but his footy smarts add a couple of points to each factor and increases their worth a large way.

With Jamie part of this is his onfield leadership, while he may not be the one who laid the goal saving tackle, he probably had a hand in the positioning of that player during the game which led to them being in the correct spot to do it.

I put him in a similar mould to cunnington.

Not necessarily outstanding in any major aspects, very good at some but his footy smarts add a couple of points to each factor and increases their worth a large way.

With Jamie part of this is his onfield leadership, while he may not be the one who laid the goal saving tackle, he probably had a hand in the positioning of that player during the game which led to them being in the correct spot to do it.
Cunnington isn't outstanding in any major aspects? He's an elite clearance player who has featured in the top 5 for the stat for three seasons running. Is also elite by hand and has taken the 5th most contested marks of any midfielder this year.

Cunnington isn't outstanding in any major aspects? He's an elite clearance player who has featured in the top 5 for the stat for three seasons running. Is also elite by hand and has taken the 5th most contested marks of any midfielder this year.
You're misrepresenting what I was addressing, Talking about the three major areas highlighted above.
Running - Moderate at best.
Physicality- Tackles like a mofo but I wouldn't classify him as a damaging player like Turner and Garner who try to hurt people (though he's close)
Disposal- Awesome by hand but his kicking is lacking unless he has no one around him.

On this basis he's not "exceptional" though we know how strong he is in absolute specifics.
What I was getting at is even though he's not necessarily the best in those 3 overarching descriptors it doesn't matter because he's so intelligent.
Doesn't need to run because he has the vision to assess when theres a runner headed past and to offload.
Physicality- Doesn't need to hurt, he is all about evasion and his tackling is textbook. Pin an arm and drag to ground, all about smart efficient movement.
Disposal- Time stands still because he assesses so quickly, uses his strengths to dispose of it, rarely overcommits to a kick when his better disposal by hand will do.

He is a gun!!! Kudos to Philly for picking it early!!
Picking it early?

No offence to PR, but you'll have to go back to the start of this thread to make that call.

F***ing footysmart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back