Toast Adam Goodes 350 games!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes - one with 3 Brownlow medals, 9 best and fairests, in the AFL team of the century.
It's all a personal judgement thing swansfan51, for what it's worth I think Goodes at his best is one of the most skilful players I have ever seen. Never seen Skilts play forst hand so can't comment. Adam can play numerous roles against really high level opposition in an era where the players are more professional and seemingly harder athletes with elite endurance etc etc. which is what I'd rest my case upon but who am I to howl down anyone that disagrees? Both amazing players and champions who our club was very fortunate to have and I am very proud to say are bloods.

It's all a personal judgement thing swansfan51, for what it's worth I think Goodes at his best is one of the most skilful players I have ever seen. Never seen Skilts play forst hand so can't comment. Adam can play numerous roles against really high level opposition in an era where the players are more professional and seemingly harder athletes with elite endurance etc etc. which is what I'd rest my case upon but who am I to howl down anyone that disagrees? Both amazing players and champions who our club was very fortunate to have and I am very proud to say are bloods.
Skilts would be right at home in our engine room today, he would be a star, and as for Goodesy, well what can I say, a dead set legend. Both up there as the greatest Bloods of all time:thumbsu::D! On Friday night I hope Adam turns back the clock and reminds us all of why he is held in such high esteem and shuts up the scum:mad: that are doing their best to tarnish his legacy.....

I said it in the main board but Goodes was a bit of a childhood hero for me. He brought me into the sport in 2003 and he's been my favourite player for every year since. It'll be really sad when he retires and me and my brother are determined to fly to his final game in whatever city it is. I remember how much I admired the guy in 2006 when he would consistently hit a ball-up at full pace and snatch the ball out of the air and get clutch clearances. To this day I think this is the best goal he ever kicked and it's done so in the style I mentioned above (poor quality video).

That's the kind of stuff I'll remember him best for. When he kicked that goal in the 2012 GF I actually started crying lol, and I've never before cried out of happiness or anything. It just seemed so poetically appropriate that he would put us in front at that point of the game. I'm also a staunch defender of his persona on and off the field though I rarely waste my words on trolls. Anyway I think his name belongs firmly beside Skilton, Kelly and Lockett.

Whilst we're on the subject though. I do think that Goodes should play most of next year as a sub, in the same mould of Gianciracusa for the Dogs. He showed in the Demons game with 2 goal assists that he can can off the bench and play an impact role. I think it's important for us to get Membrey, Biggs and Mitchell onto the field, especially the former.

EDIT - Just noticed that Goodes' being the sub was already the subject of one of the podcasts lol. It's a good idea I reckon. Not every game but maybe 8 games next year.

Last edited:
Grew up watching this bloke play from a young age, complete gun and so damaging when playing his best footy. Gets bagged alot these days but dont think he could care less he just goes about his business. Only time i cried during a game was Nick Davis final goal against Geelong in 05, if Goodesy hangs up the boots I recon it might happen again.

This is where he squeaks over the line against Bobby imho. Just. We'll always name Goodsey's Brownlow and B&F gongs as part of his wonderful achievements. However, while Brownlows are sensational Woewodin and Libba have won Brownlows. So let's not get too carried away. It's Premierships that really elevate everything. His Indigenous team of the Century gong is not to be sniffed at. And if the All Time team of the Century was announced post his retirement I'd be very surprised if Goodes wasn't in it.

His versatility across the ground is unique. I've never seen a player start as a defender, win a Brownlow as a Ruckman, and a Brownlow as a Midfielder, then move forward and be a club leading goal kicker on numerous occasions. Many greats have done two roles (Ablett senior laziliy going forward late in his career and lazily kicking 100's comes to mind). But to play every position? Kouta would probably be the closest I've seen to that? It really is a special career he's forged in very limited company.

Caveat: there is no knock on Bobby here. He is to be revered and should never be denigrated. Ever.

I said it in the main board but Goodes was a bit of a childhood hero for me. He brought me into the sport in 2003 and he's been my favour
EDIT - Just noticed that Goodes' being the sub was already the subject of one of the podcasts lol. It's a good idea I reckon. Not every game but maybe 8 games next year.

It's actually an topic that comes up every second podcast... We just decided to make an title out of it.

From this article .... pretty impressive CV.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-17/dont-lose-the-boos

Achievements

Premierships: 2 (2005, 2012)
Brownlow medals: 2 (2003 equal, 2006)
Career Brownlow votes: 162
All Australian: 4 (2003, 2006, 2009, 2011)
Best and fairest: 3 (2003, 2006, 2011)
Swans' leading goalkicker: 2009-2011
AFLCA Player of the year: 2006 (equal)
AFL Rising Star: 1999
Indigenous Team of the Century
Swans' co-captain 2009-2012

One of my favourite opposition players. A tremendous footballer and an inspirational human being. I suspect that even greater things await Adam when he hangs up the boots. Congratulations on an amazing career and good luck tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

350 games. This one means a lot IMO. After a tough season of criticism after what should have been him taking a stand and being rewarded for his amazing character and talent with an award most of the numb nuts that boo him would never even dare to aspire to. Pull out a massive game Adam. Tear them a fu**in part old mate. Let's get to another GF and watch you deliver on the big stage like we all know you can like no other.

C'MON BLOODS!!!

games like this make me think goodesie can call time when he's ready. seriously, he was all class tonight. that first goal he kicked was experience, confidence, belief.

he's looked a little off at times during rhe season, but tonight reminded me that when the stakes are high, he comes to play. true leader

One of my favourite opposition players. A tremendous footballer and an inspirational human being. I suspect that even greater things await Adam when he hangs up the boots. Congratulations on an amazing career and good luck tonight.

Gee that is a great mark of respect!

I didn't even expect to see him on the field this year! Never write off a champion, I should have known.

The Grand Final will be an emotional day, and even more so should Port happen to get through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back