Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes pc version, settings carried over from when I last played the game - to reinstalling it last night (yes the graphic settings are turned down a bit including lack of crowd).

I'm liking parts of it, but yet to be fully convinced it can completely be salvaged. If they make incremental improvements without going backward again, that would be good.
I really do wonder if the console versions have more responsive controls, maybe the PC version is the worst out of them all?

I really do wonder if the console versions have more responsive controls, maybe the PC version is the worst out of them all?

I'd say they'd be similar, but maybe there could be slight differences ?
Going on a slightly different point of view - the same game can feel 'different' depending on the system/controller used. I play Rocket League on Xbox the most (and like the controller), but the game plays differently for me on Playstation, PC and even the Nintendo Switch - all due to the responsiveness of the controllers themselves.

I mostly use an 8Bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth controller on pc, with any of my Xbox controllers as my secondary controller.

Fine for me - seems a good balance, I win when I should and lose when I should. Played 1.5 quarters tonight and had enough. Things that need fixing to make the game balanced enough to be fun;

• Centre bounce is OP with attacking settings. Win hitout, always get possession, handball to player streaming forward who inevitably gets a shot at goal. In 10 minute quarters each team had 4 tackles at quarter time. I know that a lot of people hate the congestion, but there has to be some degree of skill to winning a clearance, not just winning hitout and handballing forward every time.
  • AI need to adjust tactics - play the same way the whole game. Doesn't feel like much of a contest, should switch defensive to arrest momentum etc. Maybe they do this, but I haven't seen it yet.
  • There's no advantage rule, what happened to the 2011 game where you took advantage by continuing on, otherwise free kick? Why can't we have that again, but maybe add a 1 second lag where if you turn it over or get tackled it goes back to the free kick.
  • Honestly it's mostly these points and general balancing, the ability to string possesions together is good and the tactics add depth, it just needs to work better and not be too gimmicky. Putting this away until the next patch now.
Strangely, I haven’t had any of these issues:
  • I play 3.5 minute quarters and both teams are getting easily over 4 tackles a quarter.
  • I’ve had a few games where the ai has seemingly played differently from quarter to quarter, not sure if the ai changed their tactics but today I was one point up against Geelong at 3 qtr time and they lifted in the last and ran over the top of me - the things I was doing to score and stop them from scoring in the first 3 quarters weren’t working in the 4th.
  • I’ve seen plenty of advantage calls and they’ve pretty much all made sense, the ai have caught me off guard a couple of times by taking advantage when I thought there’d be a free kick.

Update about ten games in with the new patch:

• getting used to the fast pace and beginning to think the current build has been tuned for tragics and die hards. A lot of micro decisions being the difference between a goal and clearance and it gets really frantic. It's going to be tough for non twitch gamers but until we get sliders you can't cater for everyone.
  • I've now seen a couple of speccies in from the side and one that was pretty much running back with the flight - fantastic stuff. I don't think we've seen that before or at least in a way where it wasn't snapping to a standard mark animation at the last second. Maybe this one is too in it's own way but as far as appearances are concerned it looks really good.
  • passing into space behind a player where you can take the grab and keep running - again, fantastic. Pretty sure every game till now the AI player would stop, turn and prop. Progress!
  • way too many kicks out of bounds on the full. Feels like squashable bug but we'll see.
  • bit worried about the attacking formation carn tigez refers to above - haven't used it yet but I can see it being OP. Personally I have always avoided using mechanics that break the game to make it more of a contest (Live 1 was to draw the man, Evo was to run in half circles and force turnovers from defence, and almost every AFL game broke when using 'kick to a lead' disposals), so maybe I just won't use it. It's a shame it exists though.

Still really happy with the patch & the new rhythm but will wait a week or two before giving a final verdict. Every game is feeling different while I slowly adjust.

Update about ten games in with the new patch:

• getting used to the fast pace and beginning to think the current build has been tuned for tragics and die hards. A lot of micro decisions being the difference between a goal and clearance and it gets really frantic. It's going to be tough for non twitch gamers but until we get sliders you can't cater for everyone.
  • passing into space behind a player where you can take the grab and keep running - again, fantastic. Pretty sure every game till now the AI player would stop, turn and prop. Progress!
  • way too many kicks out of bounds on the full. Feels like squashable bug but we'll see.

I've got to learn mark timing again. My usual fail safe method only works between half back - center square - half forward. Being outmarked constantly at full back - full forward.

I'm finding that I'm playing a similar gamestyle that I did with AFL Live. And that is less kicking and more handpassing just to keep posession moving it along safely. I do short passes via kicking when I'm clear of opponents.

The AI tends to kick out on the full when they are heading toward goal. I myself do it when I'm defending (giving the ball back to them after kicking it from the defensive 50 lol) or bizarrely that new downfield camera angle change when taking a mark..... throws me off, due to the pace of the game I pretty much auto play on as I know what I want to do ahead of taking the mark. But now I have to stop/start with the controller, in order to not kick out on the full as I'm holding the direction I wish to proceed to as the camera changes.

Last edited:
  • bit worried about the attacking formation carn tigez refers to above - haven't used it yet but I can see it being OP. Personally I have always avoided using mechanics that break the game to make it more of a contest (Live 1 was to draw the man, Evo was to run in half circles and force turnovers from defence, and almost every AFL game broke when using 'kick to a lead' disposals), so maybe I just won't use it. It's a shame it exists though.
Yeah I got into a bit of an OP rhythm with that formation in my match yesterday. Had Reeves tap it down to Ginnivan, Worpel would break behind the opposition player, receive handball and either pump it to the leading FF or bang it through himself each time. Switched that on in Q4 against Richmond when score was 6.4 to 6.1, and I ended up smacking 12 goals in using that tactic and won 18.3 to 6.4

The key words here “it looks like”, your opinion kinda loses most of its significance if you’re still just watching gameplay footage and not playing it yourself.

Others who have had the same criticisms as you over the last 12 months have talked about how much fun the game is now.

Seems like you just don’t want to give big ant any credit, just admit it, they’ve done well this time.

No arguments here but I think if afl 23 released like this last year from a core gameplay perspective we'd be happy with it - while acknowledging areas that need improving. So my point was more around the taking 12 months to reach release state than saying the quality is equal between them.

Some may remember I pointed out my concerns about them not focussing on the core game play but other stuff that less than probably 3% of people are going to use or play and was howled down by people like yourselves yet 12 months later here you are praising them for... focusing on the core game play. I won't rehash it all but some people will never learn and you'll just get burnt again and again.

Some may remember I pointed out my concerns about them not focussing on the core game play but other stuff that less than probably 3% of people are going to use or play and was howled down by people like yourselves yet 12 months later here you are praising them for... focusing on the core game play. I won't rehash it all but some people will never learn and you'll just get burnt again and again.

I think you dropped this mate 🏅 congratulations. You weren’t the only one suggesting that gameplay should be the biggest point of focus in development.

I think you dropped this mate 🏅 congratulations. You weren’t the only one suggesting that gameplay should be the biggest point of focus in development.
Yeah I know but it was the same people refusing to believe it was a bad idea to add all this other s**t on the first go was a massive red flag, they STILL can't help themselves when they get thrown a update.

"People like yourselves". It def wasn't me pal, maybe pick your targets next time lol (yes I know it wasn't you Fear The Beard just agreeing with you)

Yeah I know but it was the same people refusing to believe it was a bad idea to add all this other s**t on the first go was a massive red flag, they STILL can't help themselves when they get thrown a update.

I understand your point but hindsight is 20/20 and had the game released in a working state, the narrative about what to include/not include would've been totally different. At the end of the day what we got is what we got and at least now they’re working to rectify it. Why let other peoples opinions bother you?

I understand your point but hindsight is 20/20 and had the game released in a working state, the narrative about what to include/not include would've been totally different. At the end of the day what we got is what we got and at least now they’re working to rectify it. Why let other peoples opinions bother you?
It was pointed out at the time before it was released, no need for hindsight. They don't bother me I'm just pointing out that defending the indefensible at this point is ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was pointed out at the time before it was released, no need for hindsight. They don't bother me I'm just pointing out that defending the indefensible at this point is ridiculous.

Please point out A - where I have 'defended the indefensible' and B - where pre launch I ever commented about including superfluous features being a good idea. The game is the game. Some of us want it to still be good, and are happy to play a game post update to find out. I'm not sure what your narrative is here? That we should all shelve the game and never play it again after any update? Or just spend the rest of our lives moaning about the release that happened 12 months ago?

I'm still trying to relearn set shots. I'm bombing them home from 40- just outside 50.

But put me 10-30m out straight in front or an angle and its good night nurse :(

** it's mostly due to forgetting where the indicator needs to land for better accuracy on xyz angle and then doing the adjustment for left/right "footedness" :p

Last edited:
Soo many people I have seen (including me) are struggling soo badly with the quick kicks at goal with most going OOB. And I do think that’s skill error and not a game glitch (hopefully)

Soo many people I have seen (including me) are struggling soo badly with the quick kicks at goal with most going OOB. And I do think that’s skill error and not a game glitch (hopefully)

I think/hope they over tuned it. Thst or I have zero clue where the sweet spot is. Mine spray everywhere regardless is the meter is barely full or almost full.

May have turned the corner, was being thrashed by North Melbourne but a strong 3rd quarter saw me take the lead, managed to hold them off in the last.

Then I did a follow up gane and held them to 1 goal.... while I was in the 150s, before it crashed to desktop again (5 min quarters).

I still haven’t got the muscle memory down for the quick kick at goal but I hit one sweetly today, I don’t think left/right swing has any effect but the wind definitely does.

I think/hope they over tuned it. Thst or I have zero clue where the sweet spot is. Mine spray everywhere regardless is the meter is barely full or almost full.

May have turned the corner, was being thrashed by North Melbourne but a strong 3rd quarter saw me take the lead, managed to hold them off in the last.

Then I did a follow up gane and held them to 1 goal.... while I was in the 150s, before it crashed to desktop again (5 min quarters).
I'm just finding more success in pressing X for a normal pass and aiming in the vicinity of the goal. Seems to have a 40% success rate for me depending on where I'm kicking from, whereas the actual shot on goal is like 0% unless I'm within 20 metres of the goals. Even just stopping and nailing a pass to a leading forward seems to work better. I actually genuinely really like the way they've tweaked the leading and passing to leads too - so much better than just blind kicks to a contest and hoping your player makes an impact.

I like that it's hard, would be good if it was tuned to be wider if wide open and much easier shot so it's very hard to miss from 10m out wide open though.

And also if the misses would end up as behinds more often, out on the full from 20m out straight in front 75% of the time isn't very immersive

I like that it's hard, would be good if it was tuned to be wider if wide open and much easier shot so it's very hard to miss from 10m out wide open though.

And also if the misses would end up as behinds more often, out on the full from 20m out straight in front 75% of the time isn't very immersive
I personally find it to be a perfect balance, I have already worked the timing out and get it 75% if the time.

The biggest issue with it is how long it takes to charge up, I think that for the better goal kickers it charges up slower to make it easier which makes sense. But I find say with Nick Larkey, whenever I'm free inside 50 and take a shot, by the time it charges up I'm always run down and get called for dropping the ball which is super annoying.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

5ish hours of game time since patch night - a few niggles

* The collision detection change has improved things in some respects (when WE are doing the defending/tackling) but it's harder when going on the attack. It's like you've got to press the button FURTHER in advance so that the kicking animation plays out cleanly (with the game speed now being faster it all happens so quickly). Failure to do so and you get caught holding the ball more often than not. Which in turn also makes it harder to neigh on impossible to kick goals on the run in your forward 50.

* Had a game where there were 36+ scoring shots. 30 were from set shots alone!!

The speed should (ideally) slow down just a bit.

Set shots - it seems to randomly change, I can position things perfectly and get a good clean shot off that doesn't veer away... scoring the goal in one attempt. Then take a mark similar distance, similar angle - do the same thing with the marker..... and it kicks a behind or goes out on the full. The wind isn't even on!!!!!!!

That said I'm regularly winning by 100+ points against the AI now (on 3.5 - 5 minute quarters), might bravely attempt a 20 minute quarter game and see what happens one day :p. That said there's a huge lack of variety in scoring the goals (set shots only at present). How I get to the scoring opportunity changes from situation to situation (whether it's ruck tap, spring forward, kick into forward 50, mark, goal...... or there's a defensive mindset to retrieve the ball, then handpass my way out of a hairy situation, then kick into the forward 50, mark, goal etc). Funnily enough without the goals on the run or in general play - it feels even more repeditive (moreso than it was months ago).

I finally got a chance to play the game with the update and I’m actually impressed! Last time I played was in July and it’s taken a huge leap forward, now it’s actually fun to play! Enjoying the responsiveness much more and now it feels like a better example of footy. My 3 big criticisms which I hope will be patched are:

- Interchange logic, still doing the FP/HF for BP/HB and some players taken off and never brought back on

- Players ahead of the play freezing before attaining possession. Didn't happen a massive amount but slows it down a fair bit

- On the run goal kicking needs to be sped up and the meter needs to be bigger too. It’s much harder to score in open play than from set shots I’ve found

Overall, good start!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back