Mega Thread AFL: No Trades (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

COLA is old news i can picture it already Heeney debut Ed will mention how Heeney should of ended up at the poor Western Bulldogs or St Kilda and they are not going to survive thanks to the Swans Academy.

Yes Eddie is the champion of the poor clubs when it is to his advantage. However, when it comes to equalisation, something that could actually help the poor clubs Eddie has a very different tune.

Yes Eddie is the champion of the poor clubs when it is to his advantage. However, when it comes to equalisation, something that could actually help the poor clubs Eddie has a very different tune.

See when the Saints had the scandal and coach sacked he was the FIRST to sink his hands in Riewoldt and try to pry him out.

He still hasn't gotten over the Nick Davis trade day he is gone all Northern clubs will breathe a sign of relief.

See when the Saints had the scandal and coach sacked he was the FIRST to sink his hands in Riewoldt and try to pry him out.

He still hasn't gotten over the Nick Davis trade day he is gone all Northern clubs will breathe a sign of relief.

Unfortunately I think he will be around for a few more years yet.

COLA is old news i can picture it already Heeney debut Ed will mention how Heeney should of ended up at the poor Western Bulldogs or St Kilda and they are not going to survive thanks to the Swans Academy.

I cannot think of a single issue on the entire planet that the fat controller could not somehow relate to the academies

Ahhhh ... the SF2 win against Geelong in 2005 ... that was some of the best footy I've ever seen, Nick Davis was absolute class
... reminded me of Darren Jarman in that Crows GF ... Just destroyed them

I thought the restriction would apply whether we could get under the cap for COLA or not?

Last year's a bit different as we would've been over the cap if we eliminated the COLA straight away.

Isn't it just a blanket ban of trading in anyone over average AFL salary ($350,000) for the entire duration of their contract? We can lose multiple primary list players (e.g Jetta, Malceski, Membrey) however are only allowed to accept draft picks that generally take several years to develop (unless their name's Isaac Heeney) or players under the average wage which means Swans couldn't swap for a key defender/ruckman even if they wanted to if they cost over $350,000. Aren't even allowed to recruit on a 1 yr contract then renew for several years at higher rate apparently.

Hypothetically, let's just say a key player (e.g. Reid) wanted to go back to Victora (there is no evidence of this BTW and I don't want it to occur) and it freed up more than enough salary cap to recruit Matthew Leuenberger we still aren't allowed to because Lions could easily match the wage of 350,000 as a restricted free agent and Swans miss out. Also the Vic teams pursuing Reid could just offer rubbish draft picks in which case Swans could potentially lose a player for nothing in the pre-season draft or be forced to accept undervalue for him. Obviously Reid's contracted so this is just a hypothetical here.

This Trade ban STINKS more than the COLA possibly could especially as GWS still have COLA. I'll be in complete disbelief if Hawks can get Dangerfield at the end of the season (especially if they salute BTBTB) with all smiles from City Hall yet Swans are told they Cannot Have Everyone by AFL CEO.

The AFL still haven't explained exactly what law we broke to thus be punished... It's a f**kin joke & the media don't give a s**t.
We followed the rules. It gave the game a bad look. Therefore, we are a bunch of campaigners who deserve the trade ban

Yes they do in Victoria, they are right on to it. Maybe blame the club
I'm in Victoria very regularly Bedders. Probably at least once a month to see family & weekends away mainly. And I read a truck load of AFL news and have barely seen anything critical of the AFL punishing us for following the rules.

If it is mentioned it's not mentioned with any outrage, just stating the facts that here are the conditions of the ban blah blah... I'm just disappointed there is an acceptance by the vast majority that the AFL has applied a trade ban to us correctly as we deserved it. If that's the case, what for exactly? I haven't heard the AFL state something like "The Sydney Swans breached rule XYZ.2 in doing ABC (e.g. bringing Tippett & Buddy in)". The only thing I've heard is "you can't have everyone"... Well I'm sorry Gil but yes you can, so long as you aren't breaking any rules.... Oh, wait, the AFL doesn't want that to happen so will flagrantly disregard the fact they are punishing us for following (& not breaking) THEIR RULES.

It just beats me how the media haven't jumped all over it as unfair; Instead happy sitting back without so much as a mention of it as far as I can see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in Victoria very regularly Bedders. Probably at least once a month to see family & weekends away mainly. And I read a truck load of AFL news and have barely seen anything critical of the AFL punishing us for following the rules.

If it is mentioned it's not mentioned with any outrage, just stating the facts that here are the conditions of the ban blah blah... I'm just disappointed there is an acceptance by the vast majority that the AFL has applied a trade ban to us correctly as we deserved it. If that's the case, what for exactly? I haven't heard the AFL state something like "The Sydney Swans breached rule XYZ.2 in doing ABC (e.g. bringing Tippett & Buddy in)". The only thing I've heard is "you can't have everyone"... Well I'm sorry Gil but yes you can, so long as you aren't breaking any rules.... Oh, wait, the AFL doesn't want that to happen so will flagrantly disregard the fact they are punishing us for following (& not breaking) THEIR RULES.

It just beats me how the media haven't jumped all over it as unfair; Instead happy sitting back without so much as a mention of it as far as I can see.
It's because to most, it is seemed as a punishment for having more cap space and not getting rid of it. Yes, when you look at the facts and the truths behind it, it would be impossible to remove COLA without legal ramification but they just see it as:

Remove the extra cap space and trade
Phase out the extra cap space and don't trade

For a comparison when the AFL refined the rules around third party payments around 2011(iirc?) Chris Judds visy deal was allowed to continue despite being outside the guidelines of the updated rules because 'existing contract' or some such. Hypocrtical *heads running the game.

For a comparison when the AFL refined the rules around third party payments around 2011(iirc?) Chris Judds visy deal was allowed to continue despite being outside the guidelines of the updated rules because 'existing contract' or some such. Hypocrtical ****heads running the game.
What happened to Tippett and Adelaide then?

They lost one of the greatest players of the generation ffs, they should be expected to have lots of spare cash to sign someone

That's the joke, we freed up a significant amount of cap space in 2012 and 2013 yet still get called the Swan$...

They lost one of the greatest players of the generation ffs, they should be expected to have lots of spare cash to sign someone
Didn't that money go to Frawley? And other players they've had to re-contract in that time? Seriously, some of their main players must be on peanuts.

Didn't that money go to Frawley? And other players they've had to re-contract in that time? Seriously, some of their main players must be on peanuts.
It is effective list management. Like having Lake take a pay cut to join you and Letting Franklin leave when offered overs. Ask the AFL for an enquiry if you think they're breaching the cap and there's a conspiracy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back