Preview AFL Round 9 - West Coast v Geelong, Domain Stadium, 4:40PM Sunday 31 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at that point we were 18th for frees is what you're saying?

No, at 7.25 games you were 18th per game for frees only if you counted 7.25 games as 8 games.
You are 7th in FF, and 18th in FA.
Geelong is 17th in FF, and 5th in FA, almost an exact reversal.
If you want the actual figures, you can see them here.
http://www.afl.com.au/stats

Nah, you are well off the mark. :oops:

In any case it's the FF/FA differential that you are smashing the competition in.

Not expecting the Cats to receive too many favourable HTB decisions against your mob. :(
No, at 7.25 games you were 18th per game for frees only if you counted 7.25 games as 8 games.
You are 7th in FF, and 18th in FA.
Geelong is 17th in FF, and 5th in FA, almost an exact reversal.
I find it hard to believe that the AFL website would get something wrong guys.

I'd like to see a column added to the 'frees for/against' which divides them further by home and away games. I know we benefit a bit at the Cattery from all our parochial supporters, the noise from which definitely affects a simple-minded umpire's decisionmaking abilities.

Exactly the same at Subi, or the Adelaide Oval or the S.C.G...

I find it hard to believe that the AFL website would get something wrong guys.
have a look at the "frees for" differential- it is a different stat than the pure free kick count. It measures the difference between your free kicks for and your opponent's free kicks for, every week.
Screen Shot 2015-05-25 at 10.03.22 pm.png
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2015&type=DA&sby=8

or, if you prefer to look at it in terms of pure numbers- i.e. your frees for minus your opponent's frees for, here're the same stats presented in a different way:

Screen Shot 2015-05-25 at 10.05.02 pm.png
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2015&type=DT&sby=8

Hope that this clarifies things.

EDIT- so, between the Eagles and the Cats, there are 9.2 frees the difference, in favour of the Eagles.

I'd like to see a column added to the 'frees for/against' which divides them further by home and away games. I know we benefit a bit at the Cattery from all our parochial supporters, the noise from which definitely affects a simple-minded umpire's decisionmaking abilities.

I think we have won the free kick count twice this year, Sicko. Against Sydney and Carlton.
At Simonds Stadium so far this year, we've played Freo (Frees for: Geelong 15, Freo 26), Gold Coast (Frees for: Geelong 13, GCFC 15) and North Melbourne (Frees for: Geelong 12, North 28). So, 3 games, 40 free kicks for the Cats, 69 for their opponents. :(

I think we have won the free kick count twice this year, Sicko. Against Sydney and Carlton.
At Simonds Stadium so far this year, we've played Freo (Frees for: Geelong 15, Freo 26), Gold Coast (Frees for: Geelong 13, GCFC 15) and North Melbourne (Frees for: Geelong 12, North 28). So, 3 games, 40 free kicks for the Cats, 69 for their opponents. :(

I knew the game against North was skewed in their favour, but I forgot all about the Freo game. Nobody can say we get an armchair ride down there this year, then!

have a look at the "frees for" differential- it is a different stat than the pure free kick count. It measures the difference between your free kicks for and your opponent's free kicks for, every week.
View attachment 137833
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2015&type=DA&sby=8

or, if you prefer to look at it in terms of pure numbers- i.e. your frees for minus your opponent's frees for, here're the same stats presented in a different way:

View attachment 137834
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2015&type=DT&sby=8

Hope that this clarifies things.

EDIT- so, between the Eagles and the Cats, there are 9.2 frees the difference, in favour of the Eagles.
I thought it was obvious that this was all fairly tongue in cheek. They are interesting stats though.

You'd have to do a frees for and against vs Umpires' names, just to make sure there wasn't any bias against Vic teams in Vic by umpires from out of state, Sicko.

Speaking of Free Kicks …. fingers crossed we don't get Mollison…he crucified us against the Kangas, and had a significant effect on the result.

We had him against Carlton too but he was much better, though pulled out a few "grandstand" decisions against both sides. A very ordinary umpire in my view. Lets hope for a good game v WCE without even noticing the umpires.

You'd have to do a frees for and against vs Umpires' names, just to make sure there wasn't any bias against Vic teams in Vic by umpires from out of state, Sicko.
Umpires don't affect the outcomes of games. Irrelevant stats. We should expect to win on Sunday, we should demand it as supporters. The fact is we've beaten Collingwood and Richmond both in the 8, we have a shocking interstate record in the last 3 years and it's high time we turned that around plus it's a pivotal game in our season allowing us the possibility with games against Essendon, Port, and Melbourne to follow of being 8 and 4 at the break. I really believe if we win on the weekend the confidence it will instil in our team could carry us on a bit of a winning streak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires can be affected by other things as well, like if we get the rub of the green with a few 50/50 free kick/play on decisions in a row, the opposition full back would have to do a Hall on Staker to Hawkins for him to get another one in the next few minutes. Not pretending it's just a Geelong thing, but it's pretty clear to me that umpires are often tempted to worry more about squaring things up then just calling each play as they see it.

Whatever. As long as we don't get that 2012 fiasco (it was that game where they went absolutely bonkers with the deliberate out of bounds rule and it was just as bad for both teams), where whoever was responsible should have been publicly stoned at St George's Terrace on Saturday morning, it's not worth worrying about.

If Blicavs runs riot i think Geelong will win. Jelwood seems to be a bit out of touch with his busted hand, and Stevie J doesnt look the same. Hopefully we put a forward tag on Enright and a hard tag on Motlop. We do those things and it goes a long way to the Eagles winning.

We won it against Hawthorn too. From AFLTables.com

Round 1 - HAW 18 GEE 21
Round 2 - GEE 15 FRE 26
Round 3 - GEE 13 GC 15
Round 4 - GEE 12 NM 28
Round 5 - RIC 27 GEE 18
Round 6 - COL 17 GEE 13
Round 7 - SYD 17 GEE 20
Round 8 - GEE 21 CAR 19

Speaking of Free Kicks …. fingers crossed we don't get Mollison…he crucified us against the Kangas, and had a significant effect on the result.

We had him against Carlton too but he was much better, though pulled out a few "grandstand" decisions against both sides. A very ordinary umpire in my view. Lets hope for a good game v WCE without even noticing the umpires.

We had him against Richmond also. Can't remember his performance. Might have to check the match thread :p

If Blicavs runs riot i think Geelong will win. Jelwood seems to be a bit out of touch with his busted hand, and Stevie J doesnt look the same. Hopefully we put a forward tag on Enright and a hard tag on Motlop. We do those things and it goes a long way to the Eagles winning.

Motlop doesn't need a hard tag at the moment, but would be pleased if one was attached - would make it 17 a side.

Umpires don't affect the outcomes of games. Irrelevant stats. We should expect to win on Sunday, we should demand it as supporters. The fact is we've beaten Collingwood and Richmond both in the 8, we have a shocking interstate record in the last 3 years and it's high time we turned that around plus it's a pivotal game in our season allowing us the possibility with games against Essendon, Port, and Melbourne to follow of being 8 and 4 at the break. I really believe if we win on the weekend the confidence it will instil in our team could carry us on a bit of a winning streak.
Yes they do

We won it against Hawthorn too. From AFLTables.com

Round 1 - HAW 18 GEE 21
Round 2 - GEE 15 FRE 26
Round 3 - GEE 13 GC 15
Round 4 - GEE 12 NM 28
Round 5 - RIC 27 GEE 18
Round 6 - COL 17 GEE 13
Round 7 - SYD 17 GEE 20
Round 8 - GEE 21 CAR 19
Drats! I knew I should've written everything down on a bigger piece of paper! :oops:
Thanks, SB!

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-05-26/gallery-tuesday-training

Gallery of today's training session.
Nothing incredible there like Cowan doing backflips or anything :p

I found Waldo Bates

Stevie-J-group_620X370.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back