Universal Love Am I ever gonna see the bump again?

Remove this Banner Ad

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Bring back, bring back the bump!

The AFL is set to protect the bump as a ‘key characteristic' of the game

Under the AFL’s proposed Laws of the Game Charter (written by football operations boss Mark Evans), the bump is set to be enshrined as a “Key Characteristic” of the sport.
It is listed to be retained and celebrated, and protected from trends that would threaten its prominence.

The article then goes on to show the many flaws by the MRP in the handling of cases involving bumps.
An unnecessary loophole was invented to exempt head clashes. It cleared Lindsay Thomas of knocking out Ben Reid, but was considered too loopy to exonerate Hamish Hartlett when his victim, Gold Coast’s Seb Tape, had to be driven from the field on the medicart.

To cap a convoluted picture, the 50 shades of grey between negligent and reckless were reduced to just one factor — whether a player left the ground or not.
In May that was of no significance when Hawk Taylor Duryea skittled Ben McGlynn. By this month it was the gravest sin Chapman could have committed.

Bring it back Mark Evans.

I love the bump. Bring it back

Carlile laid a couple of very nice bumps in our two finals.

Give Kevin Bartlett his marching orders and we'll all move forward.

How good were the umpires in completely ignoring that pointless 1m apart rule for ruckman last night. They let Sandilands and Mumford, two of the strongest players in the game, wrestle all night and it was glorious.

How good were the umpires in completely ignoring that pointless 1m apart rule for ruckman last night. They let Sandilands and Mumford, two of the strongest players in the game, wrestle all night and it was glorious.

What was even the point of that rule?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was already well in its grip in the 1980 grand final. He didn't even know his own name. 'KB I'm in the clear over here!' 'KB I'm on my own!' 'KB handball over the top!'.

The bump is a part of the spectacle that makes our game great.

Imagine banning the mark as someone may get hurt in the contest!

sadly that's what's happening with our game, the sliding rule is a load of crock. As a junior we're all taught to go in first low and hard at the contest now the afl are rewarding players who go in second and run in standing up thus drawing a free. I can understand punishing someone that goes in sliding with there legs.

sadly that's what's happening with our game, the sliding rule is a load of crock. As a junior we're all taught to go in first low and hard at the contest now the afl are rewarding players who go in second and run in standing up thus drawing a free. I can understand punishing someone that goes in sliding with there legs.
Is it just me that thinks this post is contradictory?

The bump died years ago when Byron was made an example of with a 6 week suspension for a standard bump. I'm surprised that people still think it has been alive these past 5 or so years....

The bump died years ago when Byron was made an example of with a 6 week suspension for a standard bump. I'm surprised that people still think it has been alive these past 5 or so years....

The Begley bump was the perfect example of what the league should stamp out - a player bent over the ball, utterly vulnerable, getting hit front on with a high risk of head/neck damage - albeit 6 weeks was ludicrously excessive given the actual point of contact seemed to be more with Begley's shoulder.

The absolute and utter bullshit decision was the later shirtfront on Wiggins, when the Carlton player had just taken possession of the ball, was upright, and Byron hit him in the chest with his elbow down and shoulder tucked in.

Tommy the Hitman Jonas showed exactly why the bump isn't dead when he cleaned up Hannebery's shoulder in the Rd 13 game against Sydney.

Unfortunately if there are gooses out on the field like St Kilda's Roberton, and Gold Coast's Tape, who have no awareness of players around them and you go to bump them to protect yourself from them running into you, and you hit their head, then that type of bump is dead.

It was annoying to see Birchall's hit on Stokes in the prelim looked at by the MRP, but I'm definitely glad it was thrown out. Solid bump to the midsection, both contesting the same ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back