News Archie Perkins doesn’t want to leave home

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Archie Perkins was just on SEN. Very blatantly just said he had told recruiters that he has no interest whatsoever in leaving Victoria. Not ready to do so.

I think that would explain Twomey's phantom has him sliding to us should he be passed on by Essendon and North Melbourne, notwithstanding any live trades up the board.

____

“Yes, I have. I hope they take that on board,” Perkins told SEN Mornings. “I get that they’re doing what’s in the best interests of their footy club, but I just think personally that I’m not ready for that in this stage of my life.

“I feel like it would impact me too much and I don’t think it would be in their best interests as a footy club to have me there because I wouldn’t be 100 per cent with it, and couldn’t really commit myself 100 per cent as opposed to staying here.

“I would be ready to go and fully committed. I just don’t think I’m ready for that and I wanted to be honest about it.”

Horne ( pick 1 contention ) Draper, and Roberts all possible top ten picks from SA.

Lets hope all tell vic clubs just like Archie we don’t want leave SA and won’t try so don’t pick me, just being honest I will be back home in two years.

sounds ludicrous in a national draft say such things.

Just wait till a non Victorian draftee says it, these Victorians saying what Archie done is fine. Sure they will change their tune v quickly. And the vfl will move in to stop such vagrant tampering of what is supposed to be a national draft.

imagine this scenario
moron D barrat, who is avid NM supporter and them winning spoon.
Horne is undoubtedly pick 1 by a long way from SA
Horne does the Archie Perkins thing, clearly stating not leaving as if so back in two years

What do u think moron DBarrett would say?

It would become major click bait news as kid doesn’t want come to Victoria. Destroying integrity of draft, bla bla bla, it’s only ok if benefits victorian clubs. We all know it. As usual vic bias at forefront again

You’d just take him and I hope we do, back in that when he experiences Melbourne he’ll change his mind. There’s risk everywhere.

If a cry baby wants to go home in two years, the club has more power to get a fairer deal.

Teams get screwed when a player is out of contact or has one year left.

Let’s say Archie misses his mother’s milk after a year, Suns have the power to get the best deal.

If a player walks out in the first 2 years, you are lucky to get a second round pick.

I understand that but there’s nothing stopping a kid like Perkins saying “I won’t play interstate” instead of “I won’t give 100%” if faced with the prospect of a 4 year deal. Will just push everything to the extreme even more.

I understand that but there’s nothing stopping a kid like Perkins saying “I won’t play interstate” instead of “I won’t give 100%” if faced with the prospect of a 4 year deal. Will just push everything to the extreme even more.
He gets banned from the draft for 2 years.

The team would gets the same pick in the next season draft.

The way I look at this “incident” with Perkins, is similar to our great tribunal system.

At the tribunal, a player will get 2 weeks for a whack in the ribs (off the ball). The punters debate this, but settle on 2 weeks as now being the standard. Next week, “pretty boy” player does the same thing and gets zilch. The punters scratch their heads.

In relation to Perkins, it has been let go (been done before), but in the next year or three, the AFL now can’t “throw the book” at anyone who does the same.

My point is, these “standards” are manipulated by the AFL to suit their purposes.

Just wait till a non Victorian draftee says it, these Victorians saying what Archie done is fine. Sure they will change their tune v quickly. And the vfl will move in to stop such vagrant tampering of what is supposed to be a national draft.

You missed Chad Wingard doing this?

You missed Chad Wingard doing this?
Publicly, on radio, social media?
Nothing wrong about an Old boy seeking attention, but turn him into an honest hero he is not.

Last edited:
You mean like when Chad Wingard? Hahahaha

On radio and Twitter hahaha. Same as Wingard and Perkins..

Ahhhhh right.
So its ok to do it, but just make sure you do it quietly in your interviews. Just dont broadcast it or anything, that would be too far.

Is that what you mean?
Yes , don't try to abuse the system and said you are honest kid . A thief steal your stuff and put it on social media and get caught . Do you defend or declare him as a honest thief or a stupid thief or he is a kid .

This guy refuses to be a conformist - all power to him!

Maybe he can start telling the government to stop sitting on their asses and get these lockdowns abolished!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally think an Interstate/non Victorian club should call the bluff and draft a player who says he does not want to be drafted outside Victoria if they think he is the best available player at their pick.

Gold Coast were warned not to take Rankine and Lukosius, but did so anyway, which was and still is the right call, even if one or both of them end up wanting to go home at some point.

Non Vic Clubs need to get some resolve and do not get scared off by draftees who do not wish to leave Victoria

I personally think an Interstate/non Victorian club should call the bluff and draft a player who says he does not want to be drafted outside Victoria if they think he is the best available player at their pick.

Gold Coast were warned not to take Rankine and Lukosius, but did so anyway, which was and still is the right call, even if one or both of them end up wanting to go home at some point.

Non Vic Clubs need to get some resolve and do not get scared off by draftees who do not wish to leave Victoria

If the player is clear best available then teams would have to back their culture to have players want to stay.

Where it’s line-ball then I could see them going with the kids less likely to leave.

Adelaide just did it with Thilthorpe, he wasn’t a clear cut best player but given the ambiguity on all of the choices, he’s the safe choice as the hometown boy who supported the club and should be a 10 year player.

Anthony Rocca wanted to stay, drafted by Sydney anyway. Yes players were saying it way before Perkins.

Tumbleweeds in this thread when you mention Chad Wingard or the three SA players who were done for draft tampering........

Anthony Rocca wanted to stay, drafted by Sydney anyway. Yes players were saying it way before Perkins.
Rocca time the internet is slow, no Twitter , need to buy newspaper the next day to know about it , ban substances is also not that easy to detect .What Perkins did is create the wow factor a day before draft day and get public attention he is special, typical selfie moment .

Last edited:
As far as I know Rankine and Luko did not warn SUNS at all. It was entitled Port club making ridiculous public statements. Usually when players like Perkins and Bailey Smith make their wishes to know the interstate teams don't touch them.

As far as I know Rankine and Luko did not warn SUNS at all. It was entitled Port club making ridiculous public statements. Usually when players like Perkins and Bailey Smith make their wishes to know the interstate teams don't touch them.

I still would like to see an Interstate club take a gamble and draft an Smith or Perkins.
Being drafted is a privilege, draftees should have no say on which state and club they end up being drafted to.

Af

I still would like to see an Interstate club take a gamble and draft an Smith or Perkins.
Being drafted is a privilege, draftees should have no say on which state and club they end up being drafted to.

Af
If the talent is just slightly under why take the risk. Eg Alex Davies , Jefferey don't need to go home to Victoria , GcS can concentrate purely on Rankine , Ben King , Lukosius, Sam Flanders contract extension.

If the talent is just slightly under why take the risk. Eg Alex Davies , Jefferey don't need to go home to Victoria , GcS can concentrate purely on Rankine , Ben King , Lukosius, Sam Flanders contract extension.

Has Flanders signed an contract extension with the Suns ? Terrific news if true. North Melbourne and Essendon have been keen to bring him home apparently.

Tumbleweeds in this thread when you mention Chad Wingard or the three SA players who were done for draft tampering........
Wingard shouldn't have got away with it either. Perkins harder to defend IMO as his comments were public, but AFL doesn't seem to mind either way so this will probably be more commonplace in future. Any player done tampering should be harshly dealt with, including SA players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back