Aus vs Uruguay 1st leg - on TV??

Remove this Banner Ad

If the game was in Melbourne I'd have loved to organise a greeting party @ Tullamarine like they gave us at Montevideo. I hope a few Sydneysiders get along to Mascot and give 'em hell.

I know SBS should be covering it, but on The World Game yesterday, Les Murray only promoted the second leg in Sydney. Hopefully, it was just an oversight.

This post is on the GGA website:

Ive just rung SBS to find out what the deal is with the showing of the 1st leg of the WCQ, and they said they will NOT be showing it because FOXTEL has bough the rights for it.

Asked if this was confirmed, the guy said "yes" and added that they will be broadcasting the 2nd leg.

I don't know if that is 100% correct but I have no reason to doubt it.

If true then I thank the lucky stars that I have FOXTEL, but really it's a disgrace as the National Team should be on Free to Air.

rdangelo said:
I'm pretty sure that SBS has the rights to show all Australian games LIVE at all levels for the next few years.

I think the host federation has the rights. So SBS can only buy games from the Australian federation. The game in Uruguay would be owned by them and SBS would have to buy the game ... sounds like Foxtel has outbid them.

That's a f**king disgrace - especially if the match is played at night over there, as it will be on at a great time here (about 11am on a Sunday morning).

Free-to-air should have the rights to such a big game. I could have sworn SBS had the rights to all Socceroos games.

Lowie01 said:
That's a f**king disgrace - especially if the match is played at night over there, as it will be on at a great time here (about 11am on a Sunday morning).

Free-to-air should have the rights to such a big game. I could have sworn SBS had the rights to all Socceroos games.
yep thats a load of rot :mad:

It's not great, but at least the pubs will be kicking. Has the time for the first leg been announced yet? If it's on at 6am or thereabouts like last time, I'd organise to shut down a city street in the heart of Melbourne/Sydney and televise the game on a couple of massive screens (similar setup to what was organised for the Euro 2004 final on Lonsdale St). If the rumours are correct and there's no FTA coverage, I reckon you'd get at least 50,000 people there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Football Federation Australia say they don't have the rights, the right's are with a host broadcaster & that Australian broadcaster's are currently negotiating with this host broadcaster, as yet no Australian broadcaster has secured a winning bid. SBS have said they are in negotiation with the host broadcaster.

The leg is looking likely to be played at 9pm in Uruguay on Saturday night which is 9 or 10 am Sunday morning AEST.

All this is the state of play as of 6pm Monday night. ;)

Regardless of whoever gets the rights you would think that the powers that be could get a big screen up at Fed Square.

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but

Uruguay pleads for date change

Uruguay will plead with FIFA to have the date for its World Cup qualifier first leg against the Socceroos moved forward a day.

Uruguayan Football Association president Eugenio Figueredo told Reuters, he wants the date of the first leg in Montevideo changed from November 12 to November 11 to give both sides more time to recover ahead of the second leg in Sydney on November 16.

With Uruguay 13 hours behind Australian daylight saving time and approximately a 16-hour flight to Sydney, the current timing gives both teams less than three days to acclimatise ahead of the second leg.

Football Federation Australia had been told as late as last month by FIFA that the November 12 and 16 dates were set in stone and would not be changed regardless of who hosted the first leg.

The FFA needs to fight this.

We have a charter flight straight out of Montevideo & should arrive in Sydney around 12 hours before they do.

They are flying commercially from Montevideo via Buenos Aires & Auckland to Sydney and should arrive on the morning of the 15th.

That is a huge advantage for us and one that we must protect vigourously.

moistie said:
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but

Uruguay pleads for date change

Uruguay will plead with FIFA to have the date for its World Cup qualifier first leg against the Socceroos moved forward a day.

Uruguayan Football Association president Eugenio Figueredo told Reuters, he wants the date of the first leg in Montevideo changed from November 12 to November 11 to give both sides more time to recover ahead of the second leg in Sydney on November 16.

With Uruguay 13 hours behind Australian daylight saving time and approximately a 16-hour flight to Sydney, the current timing gives both teams less than three days to acclimatise ahead of the second leg.

Football Federation Australia had been told as late as last month by FIFA that the November 12 and 16 dates were set in stone and would not be changed regardless of who hosted the first leg.

F*ck 'em.
Give them nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back